News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Dynamics and fingering

Started by ThatGamer, December 16, 2014, 09:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatGamer

Funny, that doesn't show up for me. Can I play back any other way?
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Bespinben

Quote from: MaestroUGC on December 17, 2014, 10:55:18 AM"walla"?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=walla

Quote from: ThatGamer on December 17, 2014, 11:00:26 AMFunny, that doesn't show up for me. Can I play back any other way?

At the top, select "Window", and then from the drop-down list, select "Playback Controls". Go ahead and select all the other palettes likewise.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

ThatGamer

Maelstrom got to it before you. :P But thanks! That works!
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Dynamics are good to have on sheets, though if you're really skilled you can figure out the general mood and how the phrasing determines dynamics and all that.
Fingering I can see a problem with if we don't have a disclaimer like "these are only suggestions!", as fingering is just that. If you get a great edition of the Chopin Etudes, for example, the fingerings will vary from edition to edition (except for one specific etude, where only 400 individual fingerings were written by the composer, as it was the purpose of the etude. Opus 10 number 2 if anyone is wondering), but it's not worth going out and buying other copies to get a better fingering on your score. It's generally best to do what suits your hand best, rather than what a score says. Our hands also change over time, so letting your natural fingering take over is a good idea. Just don't do anything that is terribly inefficient... Hopefully I made sense XD
what is shitpost

Sebastian

Dynamics are required on all sheets and fingering is not mandatory, but encouraged.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

What I was saying is that fingering may not be a good idea in some cases because each person's hands are different and fingering suggestions are just that- suggestions. It's damn near impossible to make fingerings that appease everyone.
what is shitpost

Sebastian

That's true.
I don't put them in my stuff.

Maelstrom

Only Bespinben's pieces really need it. Take a look at his Tal Tal Heights (LoZ: Link's Awakening) arrangement on the site

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I looked at the score, and this seems to be proving my argument. The fingerings in there are somewhat logical, but many of them I can already tell wouldn't fit my hand.
He's a great arranger though.
what is shitpost

mikey

For some reason I find Bespinben likes to cross his 1's under his 4's
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

In many scenarios it isn't a bad move, actually. You get the most space out of your hand, and it allows for the fourth finger to be ready to play again. It does, however, cause the third finger to somewhat elevate, creating more distance to cover if you need to play something with 3...
In any case, mostly just go with what's efficent and what suits your hand. Intrepretation (in classical often) will sometimes dictate a fingering for a certain passage, especially in Bach Fugues, if you ever get into that madness, but often it's up to your hand ^^
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

I go against written fingering all the time and obviously only if it makes more sense and I don't give up sound quality in the process.
I say that anyone who's skilled enough to be looking at pieces hard enough to have fingering markings should be good enough to know when alterations are needed.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I actually pay little to no attention to fingering at all, even when written. Unless I have a problem with a passage. Fingering is not a "piece" of the score, so to speak, it's a guideline to make things easier for you.
What I meant by interpretation dictated by fingering is that sometimes, often with polyphonic music, you must use stronger fingers with one voice to bring it out more if it tends to fade naturally. For instance, in the Bach Fugue in C minor from the WTC book 1, there's one particular passage where it's a good idea to play three notes in a row with your thumb (RH), since basically everything else is doing other stuff. I don't use that particular fingering but I see how it can work.
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

Point taken and if you want to include those in your sheets, go right ahead. I will when I think of it and if the situation arises but personally I think that should be an optional thing. Unless everyone thinks otherwise. It wouldn't be that hard to implement into the submission process.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26