News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

THE SUPER MARIO GALAXY PROJECT!!

Started by fingerz, February 11, 2015, 08:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingerz

Hi everyone! So, I've been a little busy with stuff lately BUT I have a new project that I'm starting! It's called...

THE SUPER MARIO GALAXY PROJECT!!

Yes, although I'm famously known for hating the Super Mario Galaxy series, I absolutely adore the music and thought other people at my Uni would too. So, that's how this came about! It's for the Wind Symphony at my Uni and I plan to incorporate a small handful of tunes from both games. Below is everything I've thought out so far:

THE BAND: Wind Symphony = Concert Band = no strings. I have saxophones at my disposal though, so that's fine. I'll just give the strings to other instruments.

RUNNING TIME: Somewhere between 10 and 11 minutes. Plenty of music, but not too much.

THE SONGS: (in this order too)

1. Staff Roll (SMG) - just the first 16 seconds
YouTube Video
[close]

2. Battlerock Galaxy (SMG) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

3. Melty Monster Galaxy (SMG2) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

4. Starship Mario Themes (SMG2) - a combination of all three
YouTube Video 1
[close]
YouTube Video 2
[close]
YouTube Video 3
[close]

5. Bowser Jr.'s Fort (SMG2) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

6. Attack of the Airships (SMG) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

7. The Luma and the Hat (SMG2) - the whole song
YouTube Video
[close]

8. Theme of Super Mario Galaxy 2 - up to around 1:30
YouTube Video
[close]

9. Staff Credits (SMG2) - from around 3:10 to the end
YouTube Video
[close]

Oh yes... WHAT YOU CAN DO IF YOU'D LIKE TO HELP: Tell me if the songs I've chosen are good! I've shown a number of people and they think this repertoire show a vast range of different colours and sounds from the games. Of course, if you know another song that might fit or would be better, you can suggest!

OR!

You could help arrange a piece! It's up to you! I don't mind doing it all by myself, but help's always appreciated. I found a few piano arrangements of these tunes to use as a reference, so that's also handy.

OR!

You could give me advice on how to make a smooth transition from one of the pieces to the next. I have a few of them figured out (1-2, 5-6, 6-7 and 8-9), but you can be the judge of that once I put what I've done up on display.

SO! That's all there is to know at the moment! I'll post to show you what I've done along the way so you can give me suggestions and tell me if I'm doin' it right. Until then! :)
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Maelstrom

AwesomeYears

So do write a separate sheet music for each instrument?

Bloop

fingerz

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 11, 2015, 08:49:40 PMNeeds more Buoy Base.
Yeah, I'll agree with that. I do love Buoy Base Galaxy, but ended up discarding it due to the fact that I personally don't think it has enough to offer to the whole Wind Symphony. Still, that's just my opinion. If you think I'd be better off using that one instead of another, feel free to let me know.

Quote from: Bloop on February 11, 2015, 10:16:06 PMEspecially more of the first SMG.
I'd like to, but I find that most of the 'better' suited ensemble pieces come from SMG2. I was thinking of using the Comet Observatory instead of Starship Mario, but as mentioned above, it doesn't offer anywhere near as much as the other piece does to the Wind Symph. As much as I wanted to include certain tunes, I didn't because I wanted to make sure people are actively involved in playing. There's nothing worse than playing a piece with hundreds of bars of rest... Still, if you mave any specific suggestions, fire away! :)

Quote from: AwesomeYears on February 11, 2015, 09:11:27 PMSo do write a separate sheet music for each instrument?
Whatever works, really. My approach was going to be writing out all the different voices on different piano staves and not worry so much about the instruments yet. After all, a bit of shifting and changing will be required to make it work. Basically, I'll be writing it out like a giant piano orchestra at first. :P
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

ThatGamer

If you can't do Buoy Base (which would be a shame) can you do the underwater Buoy Base? The instruments are different!
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Pit0010

yeahhhh! :D u're gonna put the staff roll of SMG :P
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM
AUSSI
"Sorry to keep you waiting!'
~Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising ♥

Me youtube channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pit0030

nacho2420

I'll be happy to help arrange this. Just set up a template to start working on and I can start adding stuff!

fingerz

@ThatGamer: Ah, no Buoy Base, unfortunately. Although it's a great song, I'm not sure it'll reach its full potential in a Concert Band setting.

@nacho2420: Sure! I basically want all the voices written out for piano, preferably, and I'll convert them from there into different instrumental parts. Just let me know what piece you'd like to start and I'll make sure I don't accidentally do it!

Also, I was thinking of changing Starship Mario to Comet Observatory from the original. What do you think? It's not as involved but also happens to be a well-known theme. Lemme know!

mikey

Don't know if I can help, but I can definitely say SMG is one of the best soundtracks you could possibly orchestrate
unmotivated

The Deku Trombonist

Oooh can I help? I wouldn't mind doing Battlerock.

fingerz

Yup, not a problem, Deku! I haven't started that one, so go ahead! :D

fingerz

Alrighty! It's the last week of Uni for me and I only have one exam during the actual exam period - June 26th - so I'm free for pretty much the whole of June and July. SO, I'm gonna start munching on this next week. Those of you who would love to help, now would be the time to raise your ugly heads so I know what I should start with first. :P

I'm planning to get this done around mid-July, so it'll be a pretty intense block of work. Still, I can't wait to finally have time to do this! :D

And thankfully there's not a HUGE pile of games for me to procrastinate with... Oh wait...

OllyGolly

Hi, I wouldn't mind helping out with this project because arranging for winds is actually my specialty, over piano. How much do you have done of these songs so I can know where to start? :)

fingerz

Nothing so far! I've been far too busy with Uni exams and such up 'til now. Just let me know what you'd like to work on and I won't start there. :)

Yeah, winds are my speciality as well (seeing as I'm a Clarinetist). I'm pretty good with percussion too, so that's not a big deal. I'm yet to learn how to notate a Harp part, though... I've heard they're difficult...