News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

yo gimme songs to play

Started by Yugi, February 21, 2015, 10:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yugi

I'm currently a grade 5 piano student who needs a couple more songs on his repotroire so that he can learn how to read better. I don't know what songs match my level of skill. This is where you guys come in.

Just a couple of things I should probably say first:

• Please actually be something that compliments my skill level, I don't want something too easy or too hard
  • I'd like it if the song you recommend is something from a game I know/like. I'm not stopping you from nominating songs that you personally like, its just that I'm more likely to care about an arrangement from a game you know I like rather than a game I either don't know or are competely apathetic to (e.g please don't nominate tales stuff, and i'm on a case by case basis for most mario games)
  • You can nominate off site stuff, but the first two rules apply
  • Please have the sheet in question actually be half good.

Bespinben

Are there certain skills you're trying to acquire? I find these helpful:

*Playing syncopated rhythms in one hand against straight rhythms in the other (SSBM Fountain of Dreams)
*Playing melody with LH with RH doing accompaniment (LoZ Dungeon [the NES one])
*Voicing 3 distinct melodies in counterpoint? (RBY Pallet Town [use THIS ARRANGEMENT, not the on-site one]. Lots of 1st and 2nd gen Pokémon music is like this, actually.
*Distinguishing duplets vs. triplets (Super Mario Bros. 3 "Airship")
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bubbles

This probably isn't the best forum to say it on lol but I grew up on herbalcell's zelda sheet music. There's an option on her site for a separate pdf with the letter inside the note bubble, and over time it really helped me to sight read extremely fast if thats what you're looking for. She has difficulty levels next to each sheet and a bunch of other games too but I don't know them too well.

I'm not sure what level of difficulty Level 5 is, but I'm kinda in the same position as you now -- everything is either boringly easy or just unreasonable for anyone without 3 hands.

Yugi

Oh, btw

Songs I am currently supposed to learn are the Forrest Gump Theme, O Fortuna, and Gabriel's Oboe, if that helps.

Bespinben

I find this exercise really helpful for building the strength and independence of weaker fingers (like 4 and 5).

Gabriel's Oboe mmmm.... that takes me back to my mom listening to Il Divo all the time growing up XD ("Nella Fantasia...")
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

unmotivated

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Maelstrom

mikey

unmotivated

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Bespinben on February 21, 2015, 11:32:35 PMI find this exercise really helpful for building the strength and independence of weaker fingers (like 4 and 5).

To add on to that (though if you're "grade 5" then you should certainly know this already), you should most definitely have Hanon's Virtuoso Pianist exercises in your collection.

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

Come on guys it's a piece that happens to be called "Song of Storms" is it that difficult to understand

K-NiGhT

Quote from: SlowPokemon on February 24, 2015, 08:05:30 AMCome on guys it's a piece that happens to be called "Song of Storms" is it that difficult to understand
that's what I said!  Piece of storms sounds stupid lol
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

SlowPokemon