News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Is finale worth it?

Started by Pianist Da Sootopolis, February 26, 2015, 01:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I'm currently 14 and a student. I have no official music software, and the limitations of finale notepad really bum me out; no time signature changes, etc... won't fit with the arrangements I'm working on as of right now.
So is it truly worth the price tag of $99.(whatever the hell it is)? I know it's great software and all but that price bums me out.
I hear they also give discounts to students. What's the truth behind that? XD
what is shitpost

Bespinben

I'd say give the 30-day free trial for Finale 2014 a try. See if you like it or not. It is great software, but don't go shoveling out half a grand if it doesn't suit your fancy.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Xaoz

Quote from: Bespinben on February 26, 2015, 01:47:20 PMI'd say give the 30-day free trial for Finale 2014 a try. See if you like it or not. It is great software, but don't go shoveling out half a grand if it doesn't suit your fancy.

And when it expires... We'll cross that bridge when we get there, I promise.

Sorry, could not resist :D

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

Maelstrom

$99.00? Pfff. Try $600.00 for Finale 2014. I guess you could get by with printmusic (compare here). If you want to submit anything to the site, you will need finale. Period. As for the student discount, it's more of a, "Are you a student? Check yes or no." kind of thing. It is considerably cheaper, especially on ebay. If you just want notation software on a budget, Musescore will get the job done for free, but it has it's limitations. And, of course, there is always Sibelius, but it'll probably run a slightly cheaper price.

mikey

I got mine for the net worth of a Concerto
unmotivated

Sebastian

I highly recommend any Finale software (except Notepad :P)
It's very easy to do and very useful.

King Sammer

Finale is worth it, as long as you get the templates...set up.
Oh ho! What a performance! And what exotic garb you drape yourself in, challenger!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: mariolegofan on February 26, 2015, 03:20:46 PMI highly recommend any Finale software (except Notepad :P)
It's very easy to do and very useful.
Quote from: Bespinben on July 07, 2012, 03:44:44 PMNotepad is - no joke - designed to frustrate you, that way you'll be compelled to purchase a higher model.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Sebastian

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I've tried (and failed) with notepad. It doesn't let my change time sig's, anything like that...
Would it be an option to send musescore PDF's to people and have them convert it onto finale?
what is shitpost

Maelstrom

No. You would need musicXML files. And that will still require some editing. If you can, get finale. At least printmusic.

JDMEK5

Printmusic is an option. As said, try the 30-day trial but make sure you can get around good by the first day. I was about 14 when I got Finale and I haven't regretted it since. If you're a piano student then you can just count the price as $350 cuz that's all you'll need to pay. They don't really investigate anyways so you could prob slip by even if you weren't.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Korados

*cough*...just download it on an underground website...*cough*

I apologise! ;D Finale is a horribly expensive program. But it's very nice to have all features! NotePad is very limited, I never
was very happy with it, and I guess that you wouldn't be, too. I have the full 2014 version.

Sebastian

Well well well Korados!  Long time no see!

Boost the Cat

Two questions:

Would I be better off waiting for a 2015 version of Finale/Does it update for free?

Can you download Finale on multiple computers (without paying for it again?)
Expecting a signature?
Too bad. Waluigi Time.