News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Need a music layout/edit that your Finale product can't handle? Ask here!

Started by ZeldaFan, June 02, 2008, 02:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

I think in general most people would have alternating bars of 7/8 and 4/4 for that section (not sure where you got 3/4 + 4/4 from....6+8=14). But 15/8 would also be acceptable seeing as it's kinda phrased that way.

There's nothing wrong with having alternating bars of */8 and */4 time signatures.

Maelstrom

Yeah, woops. My math was off. I meant 4/4 (8/8) and 7/8. Really, I don't care how it is formatted, as long as the measures are the proper length. But, this doesn't seem necessary anymore: I just talked to my neighbor and she will sell me finale 2012 (or 2011) for probably $200. So I'll be able to do it myself then.

FierceDeity

Yeah, 8/8 is pretty much never used XD
I know this isn't the "What Key/Time Signature Is This?" thread, but ima put in my two cents anyways, haha.

Idk what tempo you're doing this at, but judging by the number of bars you said would be in 4/4, I'd assume you're taking it at quarter note = about 104, yeah? I would advise doubling it, with the faster notes being 8th notes. I'd say to do half time, but seeing as you're gonna be alternating with 7/8, it might be best to just write "(EDIT: Cut) Time Feel", or even without that, quarter note = 208 would probably suffice, seeing as that's clear enough. The reason for this is because in the section where 7/8 alternates with 4/4, a measure of 7/8 with (quarter note = 104) would be really inaccurate, because the accent pattern would be divided along the middle; accent pattern being SsSsSss SsSsSss (s = sixteenth note, S = accented sixteenth note). So, it'd essentially be two measures of 7/8 at double the tempo, but not written that way, which is just confusing. Doubling the tempo means that that section would become 16 bars: two 7/8, two 4/4, two 7/8, two 4/4, two 7/8, two 4/4, two 7/8, two 4/4. (The section before that would just be 28 bars of 4/4, and the rest of the piece after it is just straight forward 4/4.)

This is what I'd do, for the sake of a unified tempo marking; it'd also probably work if you wanted to do everything but that alternating meter section in 104, and just indicate that the tempo doubles for that section, but that may get confusing (at least for sight reading).

The Deku Trombonist

If you're going to approach it that way, it'd have to be 3 bars of 7/8 and a bar of 9/8 because the fast line repeats 3 times and on the 4th time is extended by 2 notes.

I'd consider a combination approach using 4/4 at the slower tempo (104) and then alternating bars of 7/16 and 9/16 as necessary in the section in question. I think the slower 4/4 suits those respective sections better, while using */16 time sigs fits the feel of an increase in motion, which the music has.

FierceDeity

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on May 07, 2014, 01:01:46 AMIf you're going to approach it that way, it'd have to be 3 bars of 7/8 and a bar of 9/8 because the fast line repeats 3 times and on the 4th time is extended by 2 notes.

The same line may repeat a third time, but I'm pretty sure the accent pattern is in 4/4, especially considering the percussion. (EDIT: also, the trumpet parts that come in later)

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on May 07, 2014, 01:01:46 AMI'd consider a combination approach using 4/4 at the slower tempo (104) and then alternating bars of 7/16 and 9/16 as necessary in the section in question. I think the slower 4/4 suits those respective sections better, while using */16 time sigs fits the feel of an increase in motion, which the music has.

True. I was kinda trying to avoid recommending any /16 meters, just because I tend to see that a lot less frequently than an overly fast tempo with "Cut Time Feel" written as a compensation, but either one would certainly work.

Maelstrom

I need this song fixed by someone with finale. (Lavos: Chrono Trigger) Measures 11-20 need to be in G flat minor and I need the repeats replaced with working repeats. And, if you know how to do this, I need a quarter note tremolo at the end of measures 10 and 26 that goes between the two Fs and increases in speed and volume before cutting off suddenly, if at all possible.

Maelstrom

Quote from: maelstrom. on May 08, 2014, 05:31:45 PMI need this song fixed by someone with finale. (Lavos: Chrono Trigger) Measures 11-20 need to be in G flat minor and I need the repeats replaced with working repeats. And, if you know how to do this, I need a quarter note tremolo at the end of measures 10 and 26 that goes between the two Fs and increases in speed and volume before cutting off suddenly, if at all possible.
bump

Zunawe

I'm working on this, but I have no idea how to manipulate tremolos. I'll maybe look into it later, but for now I'll leave it here. Also, I would seriously recommend using layers. It makes reading some things tons easier. I'm gonna assume you meant Bb minor, because Gb minor isn't exactly a thing that works well.
Link
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Maelstrom

Notepad can't do layers.  :( I'll be getting finale, but '11 can't edit these files. That's why I asked here.

Echo

NotePad can do layers. Just click the numbers on the bottom-left corner to toggle between them.

Zunawe

^

Yeah, they don't really make it obvious, but they're there.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Maelstrom

I've got a few I'm fixing up for the next update:
Cave of Darkness (Bravely Default)
[.mus]
This one needs:
-Key changed (with double bar) to A minor at measure 25
-Measures adjusted so there is not just one in the final bar.
-Repeats that play back
-Fixes if you can see anything that seems out of place. (original)
-tempo marking (quarter=80)

Brinstar Red Soil Area
[.mus]
This one needs:
-Measure 33 needs to be 6/4 for (or another measure that's 2/4. Whatever is more theoretically correct)
-tempo marking (quarter=76)
-Does it become confusing when both the melody and background are played in the right hand?

Crateria: The Space Pirates Emerge:
[.mus]
This one needs:
-The first 4 notes need to be in a pick-up measure
-The repeats need to play back
-Tempo marking (quarter=132)
-I don't think it needs the key changes put in: They only last for a very short time.

The sooner these can get done, the better.
-

Zunawe

Cave of Darkness
Be careful with the dynamic markings. I understand what you're going for after listening to it, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of putting separate dynamics above the staff.

Brinstar Red Soil Area
It's up to you, but I might consider this song being in 8/8 rather than 4/4. It's not the most friendly of time signatures to understand, but the quarter note groupings make a little more sense. Especially with the dotted quarter note pulse in the left hand.

I program things

Maelstrom

Quote from: Zunawe on May 27, 2014, 11:22:44 AMCave of Darkness
Be careful with the dynamic markings. I understand what you're going for after listening to it, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of putting separate dynamics above the staff.

Brinstar Red Soil Area
It's up to you, but I might consider this song being in 8/8 rather than 4/4. It's not the most friendly of time signatures to understand, but the quarter note groupings make a little more sense. Especially with the dotted quarter note pulse in the left hand.
The 8/8 idea sounds great! Could you change it for me? And as for the dynamics, would it work if I had a simile or something like that? And thanks for the timely response!

Edit:And the repeats don't play back. Could you fix that?

Zunawe

Link is updated. Sorry about the repeats.

I went through and changed the rhythm groupings too. It's possible that it's actually grouped dotted quarter-dotted quarter-quarter, but I'm not sure. If you want to change it, selecting a note and pressing "/" either creates or breaks a beam with the note before it.

If you really think it's necessary, that could work, but I question the need to tell the player to make four notes just a little quieter.

I program things