What music sheets are you playing right now?

Started by AwesomeYears, March 29, 2015, 03:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I'd like to learn the whole thing, but the first movement is the one that really captures my attention.
As is often the case with Schumann, I can't justify learning a whole set of pieces when only two or three stand out, and the rest is mostly musical rambling.
what is shitpost

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on July 23, 2016, 02:15:47 PMI'd like to learn the whole thing, but the first movement is the one that really captures my attention.
As is often the case with Schumann, I can't justify learning a whole set of pieces when only two or three stand out, and the rest is mostly musical rambling.
Schumann's prone to musical rambling no matter your definition of "musical rambling": several of his pieces are associated with "Eusebius" (slower, dreamier, more introspective) and/or "Florestan" (faster, more extroverted, more impetuous, more passionate). Yes, and/or: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasiest%C3%BCcke,_Op._12 contains an analysis of of Schumann's Fantasiestücke, Op. 12 with some of the pieces tagged as both "Eusebius" and "Florestan".

Unfortunately, I'm a pretty big fan of "Florestan" music and am generally turned off by "Eusebius" music (although the "Florestan" sections of "Eusebius and Florestan" pieces generally redeem them in my ears). Probably my favourite "Eusebius" music (such as Liszt's Transcendental Etude No. 6 in G Minor and instrumental versions of Wagner's Pilgerchor) are ones with long melody notes and a very busy accompaniment (you can argue that the accompaniment provides "Florestan").

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Getting back on topic, Stephen Chatman's "Spring Celebration" was one of the etudes I had to play for piano exams when I was younger, and I think I've gotten a lot better at it since. It sounds pretty cool for a song with tons of accidentals, a blurry sense of key, and a vague C tonic. The below video does not do this song justice, IMO:
I personally play it with a strong progressive rock influence--snappier chords, stronger accents, and more aggressive drive.

cashwarrior1

So I bring Gusty Garden Galaxy to my piano teacher so I can learn it. I picked this piece because it seemed like good practice for left hand jumps and triplets against eighth notes. My piano teacher says that the song looked very difficult and to take it very slow. I get home and learn the song about 10 beats slower than marked in about an hour and half. I now realize that I could've easily put this song in a 2 hour learning session  :P

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 23, 2016, 02:31:07 PM
Interesting how you mention Stephen Chatman, he's the head of the composition department in the university I want to go to. I've heard that he's a pretty difficult professor, but I don't think I'll head into music after all.

Anyway, I'm doing one of Rachmaninoff's Preludes, #5 from op.(op oppa gangnam style)23, the one in G minor.

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

InsigTurtle

Still workin' on that Fugue in C# minor. I didn't notice some of the subjects until now, so I gotta highlight them. My copy of it is really just a mess of lines and numbers now.

E. Gadd Industries

I'm about to start sight reading Dudeman's sheet "Mole Hole" for a chemistry class assignment.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

JDMEK5

Chem + Sight Reading = ??   Lol explain plz
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

daj

Bespinben's Sympathy and Sincerity, yeaaah <3
(first bespinben sheet, whoop!)

I'll be honest - when I first heard this I think I teared up a bit. But time constraints made it not a good idea to try this out.

Then I ran PMD2 for the most of this we, and suddenly the PMD soundtrack comes to life. And then I thought about this arrangement.

Here we go, time for some feelsie ;w;

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

daj

Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2016, 07:10:35 PMHeeeeeeey I learned this one

Ahaha nice, nice ^^

One hour into this, and holy crud it's amazing. It's one of the best VGM sheets I've ever laid hands on (Deku's Ocean Palace, Seb's Starship Mario, Lat's Route 201 being some other nice examples hehe). I'm definitely recording this sometime in the next 36 hours, and when it comes out I'll have a nice little write-up on why it's awesome to come with it, ahaha <3

Really though, this sheet makes a passionate pianist extremely happy. So glad to have picked it up :)

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: JDMEK5 on October 06, 2016, 07:31:23 AMChem + Sight Reading = ??   Lol explain plz
Quote from: Dudeman on October 06, 2016, 08:11:13 AMMoles
Yeah, we celebrate Mole Day (🙄) and I'm not about to do some chintzy poster. So, I'm sight reading & then improv/remixing it for the project
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Fun fact, Mole Day is my birthday (and Bloop's and Braixen's)
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book