News:

change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

An Idea for the Betterment of the Site

Started by Maelstrom, April 05, 2015, 01:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

I had this idea a few weeks ago and thought I'd finally share it.

Everyone knows that many of the sheets have formatting errors. Even the good ones from some time ago. So I propose this: Over the summer, certain individuals who have enough time and experience in formatting would fix the sheets on the site. Not the recent ones, mind you. This would not be a replacement project per say. There would be little to no note editing. And a changelog would accompany each piece to be double checked. It wouldn't take that long for an updater to check over it, as we are just going for improvements, not necessarily perfection
For example, take a great arrangement like G-Han's Wind Scene from Chrono Trigger.
I would:
Change the first measure to a pickup measure.
Fix the one measure system
Change the D sharps in the LH to E flats in M 25. (A dim)
G sharp --> A flat in M 31
Fix the overlapping rit.
Fix the URL
Move everything on the first page up some for a better spaced layout.

So, it would be my goal over the summer to fix up a lot of the sheets on the site. It would need to be by people who understand music theory somewhat. There would not be major changes done to any of these fixed sheets. This could also be used to create an exhaustive listing of sheets needing a replacement.

What do you guys think?

mikey

unmotivated

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 05, 2015, 01:55:02 PMlol betterment
bet·ter·ment
ˈbedərmənt/
noun
the act or process of improving something.
"they believed that what they were doing was vital for the betterment of society"

Olimar12345

Wrekt

Well, the way we do it now is more efficient, imo. Why only edit the formatting when there are musical errors as well? Saves the time of submitting a second replacement. (Maybe I'm not getting it...)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Simply, this would not require the time it takes to review everything as it does for submissions. It would be quick and hopefully get most of the site looking somewhat better by the end of the summer. Again, it takes such a long time for the review process. There are quite a few songs that are basically fine, except for the fact that they are edited midi dumps. People are not going to take the time to do edits of the songs that only need edits. Instead, they will use their two submissions for new arrangements or challenge arrangements. It would not accomplish the goal in any reasonable amount of time.
idk if that makes any sense.

Sebastian

Well, I love this idea and I already am working on a lot of replacements right now.
This is essentially what it is: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6628.0
If I got more help this^, we'd get a lot more replacements on the site. (Mostly feedback from the Updaters is what we/I need right now with this project) but as soon as this one is done, we'll do Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum that everyone voted here for: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6645.0

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 05, 2015, 02:55:55 PMPeople are not going to take the time to do edits of the songs that only need edits. Instead, they will use their two submissions for new arrangements or challenge arrangements. It would not accomplish the goal in any reasonable amount of time.
idk if that makes any sense.
This is why we decided to make replacement projects. But the big problem is the process of having the sheets looked over that bottlenecks submissions, projects, etc.

Maelstrom

That's not what I meant. I meant something smaller and quicker than replacing the sheets projects that can cover everything quickly. And it'd hit the stuff that there will never be a replacing the sheets project for. (e.g. all the Castlevania midi dumps)

edit for mlf's edit: This would not require very much time at all for an updater to check, as not too many major things are being changed. Thus, there would not be the kind of bottleneck there is with the projects.

Sebastian

Yes, but I agree with Olimar. What's the point of fixing the formatting and stuff when there are also musical errors?

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 05, 2015, 03:05:14 PMAnd it'd hit the stuff that there will never be a replacing the sheets project for. (e.g. all the Castlevania midi dumps)
We'll eventually get to those :P

Maelstrom

In case you didn't know, mlf, there are quite a few finished replacement projects that just need a little more fixing up, but have been stuck in limbo for years. Things like the SSB Melee project and the Pokemon R/B/Y are still unsubmitted. In the past, replacing the sheet projects have not worked out too well.

Sebastian

Yeah, I know about those projects. Bespinben told me about them.
But, yeah.
Quote from: Maelstrom on April 05, 2015, 03:13:31 PMIn the past, replacing the sheet projects have not worked out too well.
Cause people are lazy ;)

Olimar12345

If you are referring to the updaters as being these "Lazy" people, then you have a warped perception of how things work around here.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 05, 2015, 03:23:08 PMIf you are referring to the updaters as being these "Lazy" people you are referring to, then you have a warped perception of how things work around here.
I'm not. I'm acknowledging that the updaters have busy lives and it takes such a long time to check everything. I was trying to find a quick solution to clean up some of the junk on the site without taking too much of their time.

Olimar12345

mikey

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 05, 2015, 02:05:40 PM
bet·ter·ment
ˈbedərmənt/
noun
the act or process of improving something.
"they believed that what they were doing was vital for the betterment of society"
never said it wasn't a word mate
just laughed at you using it
unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: Olimar12345 on April 05, 2015, 03:23:08 PMIf you are referring to the updaters as being these "Lazy" people, then you have a warped perception of how things work around here.
Holy crap, no. I wasn't speaking of the Updaters. The Updaters have done/am doing a marvelous job!