News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Music Writing App!!!

Started by HylianHero33, February 22, 2015, 06:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HylianHero33

So check this out...
I found this super awesome application that is FREE and works fairly well, as I use it often. It may be a bit tedious the first time around, but once you get the hang of it, you can do some pretty cool stuff with it. It is called MuseScore. I am currently using it to notate the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 25th Anniversary Medley, and I'm hoping that we can add .mscz files to the download buttons. That would be pretty great; but for now I just print using .pdf and use GarageBand for playback.
Finally, can anyone tell me what .mus is? What's it for?   ??? 
Thanks. Hero of Time's post is always open for all comments.
~HylianHero33

King Sammer

Nice job!
A .mus is for Finale Notepad 2012. Can you open it with MuseScore? I hope so...

I'm very happy to see you!
Oh ho! What a performance! And what exotic garb you drape yourself in, challenger!

Maelstrom

Sadly, we are a finale based site here. It's just much to hard to provide two download links for each sheet on the site. Yes, it would be nice if we could change to something else more financially viable, but it is a nigh impossible task to change each and every piece on the site into a different format. That's the thing about music notation software. They don't like each other. While you can export pieces via musicXML files, they still require quite a bit of editing to look as good as they did before.

It's just so hard to change.

edit:
Quote from: King Sammer on February 22, 2015, 06:31:38 PMA .mus is for Finale Notepad 2012. Can you open it with MuseScore? I hope so...
Not that helpful, Sammer. And, no, .mus files won't open with anything but finale products.

Sebastian

Quote from: HylianHero33 on February 22, 2015, 06:19:41 PMSo check this out...
I found this super awesome application that is FREE and works fairly well, as I use it often. It may be a bit tedious the first time around, but once you get the hang of it, you can do some pretty cool stuff with it. It is called MuseScore. I am currently using it to notate the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 25th Anniversary Medley, and I'm hoping that we can add .mscz files to the download buttons. That would be pretty great; but for now I just print using .pdf and use GarageBand for playback.
Finally, can anyone tell me what .mus is? What's it for?   ??? 
Thanks. Hero of Time's post is always open for all comments.
Welcome!
Unfortunately, .mus can only be open with Finale products such as Finale Notepad 2012 and Finale 2011 etc.
But anyway, that app does sound cool! Glad you're taking an interest in arranging!
If you need anymore help just ask :)

BlackDragonSlayer

I think lots of people have already heard of MuseScore.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

JDMEK5

If you google "free music notation software", MuseScore is literally the first to come up. It's good for being free, but it's way overhyped as was just demonstrated here.

Quote from: HylianHero33 on February 22, 2015, 06:19:41 PMIt is called MuseScore.

Quote from: HylianHero33 on February 22, 2015, 06:19:41 PMI'm hoping that we can add .mscz files to the download buttons.
Not happening. No need whatsoever with midis, pdfs, and mus's (which are readable for free for those ppl who r willing to go the extra mile for an interactive sheet).
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

HylianHero33

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get Finale.
~HylianHero33