POKÉMON SUPER MYSTERY DUNGEON

Started by Latios212, May 21, 2015, 06:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

unmotivated

fingerz

Gawd, Ben. I think you need to find yourself another hobby or something. PMD is consuming you. :P

I'm assuming it's another singular title. Not that I have a problem with that, but I did like the differences between the versions.
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

TheDreamingHawk

Am I the only one that misses the password rescue feature? Seriously, if this game brings it back and lets you share them via miiverse that would be an awesome way to communicate with fellow teams. (Same goes for any VC rereleases of PMD I-II)

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Nebbles

It'd definitely be nice, or just an easier way to rescue people, because oh god typing up those passwords was so tedious.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Bespinben

More theories to keep me sane until new news comes. (You may just be right Fingerz)

PMD Gates to Infinity is really the Pokémon version of Fullmetal Alchemist. Here's why:

1.) Magnagates = Transmutation Circles
VS.

Proof is in the pudding. Also worthy of note is how both use this mechanic as a means to traverse dimensions. In Fullmetal Alchemist (at least in the 2003 anime), performing a human transmutation has the potential to "open the other side of the Gate", resulting in a portal to the (4th wall break!) THE REAL WORLD WE LIVE IN.
As for Gates to Infinity, the BLUE Magnagate is only seen in context of PMD --> Human World cross-relations (ex: the .gif above, as well as using the in-game Magnagate dungeon feature that uses the 3DS camera). Similar wording is used in the Our First Meeting scene to describe its function - "...but what will happen if I tell him that I came from the OTHER SIDE OF THE SKY? Guess I'll just have to spill the beans." This Blue Magnagate ALSO breaks the 4th wall, just like in Fullmetal Alchemist.

2.) Entercards = Philosopher Stone (or any kind of alchemic modifier)

Notice how in PMD:GtI that, when Entercards are invoked, the aura of the Magnagate turns RED? Similarly, in FMA, transmutations aided by the power of a Philsopher Stone (or, alternatively, faux "Red Stones") also have a RED aura.
----------

Post-Commentary:
*I always struck me odd how you never learned how to use Entercards to create Magnagates yourself in the game -- you always had to go through Umbreon and Espeon. If their so-called Science is really Alchemy (a la Fullmetal), then it would make sense there would only be a select few that could perform the art, as we see the majority of the population in Fullmetal Alchemist do not have the natural talent to perform alchemy.
*Umbreon and Espeon seem to give of a "Roy Mustang x Riza Hawkeye" vibe...
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Hero of Trains

Oh, cool. Also, in the end,
Spoiler
When Edward goes to our world, he is put into the body of a human from our world (hence the "does transmutation mean anything to you?" line). What about when you're put into the body of a Pokemon? Also, Al gets his body back at the cost of Ed and his memories. Think about how all of your friends are supposed to forget you?
[close]
Disclaimer: I have not seen that anime in several years, so my memory may be a bit dodgy.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

mikey

I thought spirit tracks was fullmetal alchemist
unmotivated

Hero of Trains

Why, because of the Phantoms and Zelda and...oh.
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

mikey

I actually know nothing about FMA but apparently there's an Alphonse just like in spirit tracks and the whole Zelda in phantoms thing
unmotivated

Hero of Trains

You should watch it! It's really good.
Although similar in appearance to Al, the Zelda/Phantom mechanic has many differences. First, Phantoms do not have free will. They are just sentries. Al, however, is his own person. At times he disagrees with Ed, and he has his own personality. In the spirit Zelda mechanic, she can control Phantoms. Although in this mode she has free will and control over the suitor armor, she us not bound to it like Al is, and she can move freely between Phantoms, and even just as a spirit.
Well, that was a very long-winded explanation, wasn't it. Basically, just watch the show. :P

K-NiGhT

Quote from: Hero of Trains on May 27, 2015, 07:21:26 PMOh, cool. Also, in the end,
Spoiler
When Edward goes to our world, he is put into the body of a human from our world (hence the "does transmutation mean anything to you?" line). What about when you're put into the body of a Pokemon? Also, Al gets his body back at the cost of Ed and his memories. Think about how all of your friends are supposed to forget you?
[close]
Disclaimer: I have not seen that anime in several years, so my memory may be a bit dodgy.
hmm. thats not what i remember. Did you watch the original anime or brotherhood?
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Hero of Trains

mikey

unmotivated

Bubbles

Yeah I'd love to connect two of my favorite series but I don't think brotherhood mentions 4th wall stuff so you lost me there

Also about Zelda vs Alphonse: Al is a human soul trapped in a suit of armor. Zelda is a spirit who posses armor to control it for a slight period of time. I wouldn't really compare the two (since Al's situation is a lot more heartbreaking) but the armor designs are very similar

Bespinben

Quote from: Hero of TrainsWhen Edward goes to our world, he is put into the body of a human from our world (hence the "does transmutation mean anything to you?" line). What about when you're put into the body of a Pokemon? Also, Al gets his body back at the cost of Ed and his memories. Think about how all of your friends are supposed to forget you?
OH MY GOSH. Trains you just answered one of the questions that always had been on my mind about Gates to Infinity (using my own theory no less!). It makes so much sense. If we liken the Player's soul being transported to the body of a Pokémon as being analogous to Alphonse's soul-to-armor situation, then, in order to bring the Player's soul back to their human body in the human world, the necessary sacrifice to satisfy the equivalent exchange.... would be the memories of everyone (just like in FMA 2003). Now I would like to investigate what caused this equivalent exchange to be overruled in the Finale to bring the Player back to the Pokémon world (and with everyone's memories intact)... I mean sure the power of love, hope, friendship is magic etc, etc, -- but I think there's something deeper!

Oh, and today marks 1-week since the announcement of Super Mystery Dungeon!
(Funny, it only took Gates to Infinity TWO DAYS between the announcement and the first trailer... GRAAAAH)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday