Altissimo's Hamtaro Arrangements (New 12/15 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky thing)

Started by Altissimo, June 30, 2015, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Update of Spat's Theme. This is mostly the same as what I'd initially shared, with a few fixes as suggested by Bespinben (who also helped to make this more aesthetically pleasing and added the trills):
MIDI / MUS / PDF
This is the one that has been accepted to the site - just updating it in this thread.

I also have a (kind of) new arrangement, the Minigame theme from Ham-Ham Heartbreak. I say "kind of" new because the Minigame theme from Ham-Ham Heartbreak is almost the exact same as the Tack-Q Bowling theme from Ham-Hams Unite that's already in this thread, except transposed from B major to E-flat major, and with a slightly altered bassline and added harmonies. I got the bassline and a fair few of the harmonies myself, and DonValentino helped me fill in what I was missing (and made some octave adjustments):

MIDI / MUS / PDF / Original on Youtube (uploaded by me, hence the poor quality of the sound)

EDIT 2 hours later: I, uh, also finished up one of my other arrangements in progress, Acorn Shrine from Ham-Hams Unite:

MIDI / MUS / PDF / Original on Youtube (cuts out the very first note, but you'll hear it after the loop point)
At the risk of sounding conceited... I'm fairly confident that my arrangement of this is pretty much close to perfect. The only parts I would have questions on are the bass in m. 10, 14, and 26. While perhaps not an "error" per se, there is also the question of whether cut time is an appropriate time signature. I'm hearing the rhythm of the 1st measure as being 1-and-2 (as opposed to 1-2-3), and I'm hearing quarter notes simply because it sounds a little too slow to be eighth notes and because I feel like it's more aesthetically pleasing with a quarter note subdivision over an eighth note one.

Altissimo

Made a couple alterations to Sky Garden and Jingle's Song from Heartbreak. The Sky Garden arpeggios were mostly correct, but when I compared it to a massively slowed-down version of the song, a few of the notes were wrong - they were part of the chord that the arpeggio was... arpeggiating... but they were the wrong note for that part of the arpeggio. MIDI / MUS / PDF

On Jingle's Song, I made some adjustments to the triplets in the second voice. I'm still not entirely sure they're correct, but I think they're a little closer now...? MIDI / MUS / PDF

The big thing, however, is a new arrangement: the Clubhouse theme from Ham-Hams Unite. This one is a bit interesting because it uses swing eighths and some interesting accidentals (as jazz is wont to do). Unfortunately, the MIDI as saved by Finale Notepad didn't do a good job of copying that, even though the Musescore playback did. Bleh. Anyway, here we are:
MIDI / MUS / PDF / Original on Youtube

That being said, there are still a few things I'm having trouble piecing together: namely, the bass (specifically the first beat) of m. 12. I also feel like I might be hearing a harmony voice in ms. 7-8 and 11-13, but I can't tell if I'm just hearing overtones or implied harmonies rather than actual written harmonies. Any comments would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Ran into this thread and decided to give it a whirl.
MIDI / MUS / PDF / Original on Youtube (has a slight glitch)
Few questions for you kind fellow arrangers:
1) I have no earthly idea what the key signature should be or even if there is one lmao. I'm not sure I even know what tonic is. It's definitely some sort of Phrygian/Locrian monstrosity but there's not enough music and too many alterations to "regular" accidentals for me to tell ugh
2) m. 2 and 4. What I hear is essentially octave-jumping B's with a quieter harmony. I'm pretty sure the F's on the eighth notes are correct, but I'm not sure of the octave, and I'm not entirely sure if they recur on the quarter-note B's - it sounds like they do, but in the playback you can hear the F's repeating themselves, which sounds a little odd.
3) The second layer on beat 2 of measure 8. I'm pretty sure it's correct but it's a little hard to tell lol

As always, comments appreciated!

Altissimo

I hope it's not bad that I'm updating my own arrangement thread so often but I have just been on an arrangement roll lately!

This time, it's Harmony's Theme from Ham-Ham Heartbreak. This arrangement probably has quite a few issues with the harmonies, but as always I'm not the best at hearing harmonic voices (I guess it's what happens when you're an orchestral trumpet player...). This one was fun to work on, though, and I'm proud of the parts that I am sure of.

MIDI / MUS / PDF / Original on Youtube (uploaded by me)

Tobbeh99

Bad that you're updating frequently? Not at all! :)

I update very frequently myself.:) I also did do a lot of arrangement more frequently when I started arranging to the site. I have slowed down a bit I think, but I still arrange often and update quite frequently. Arranging is so fun! :)
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

AwesomeYears

How do you have so much time to make so many arrangements? ;_;

(Hopefully I can make at least two by the end of the weekend)

Tobbeh99

I don't think you were asking me but I can give you an answer too.
No job. It's that simple, I got unlimited spare time, so play video-games and arrange is the things I do all day.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

Quote from: AwesomeYears on July 16, 2015, 10:39:20 PMHow do you have so much time to make so many arrangements? ;_;

(Hopefully I can make at least two by the end of the weekend)

Basically what Tobbeh said, I don't have a job and so I sit around, play video games, and arrange music. It also helps that I've taken four semesters of music theory and four semesters of sight-singing/ear training in addition to the year of AP Music Theory in high school, so jotting down the melody and bass is typically pretty easy for me. For these 8-bit GBC songs, melody and bass is often all there is. :p

Altissimo

wow it's been FOUR WHOLE DAYS without an update, what madness is this?

Ham-Swap theme from Ham-Hams Unite!
Still a bit shaky on the way the glissandos are (both the writing and the notes) but this is what I have.
Fun fact: the melody from measures 10-13 is in the G major pentatonic scale!

Altissimo

New arrangement: HM Boutique from Ham-Hams Unite (unedited; that is to say, missing stylistic markings)

This one has got the weirdest damn rhythm stuff of anything I've ever arranged. o_O I think I did a pretty good job of it but *shrug* I still feel like the first half of m.3 is funky, for instance, but my attempts to fix it weren't super successful.

Bespinben

Quote from: Altissimo on July 23, 2015, 08:16:34 PMNew arrangement: HM Boutique from Ham-Hams Unite (unedited; that is to say, missing stylistic markings)
Solid stuff! I like the quasi bossa nova feel to it. The only mistake I see is that the Bb's in m. 17 and 18 should be spelled A#.

Quote from: Altissimo on July 21, 2015, 09:57:14 PMwow it's been FOUR WHOLE DAYS without an update, what madness is this?
Relevant:
Spoiler
Quote from: Bespinben on August 02, 2011, 04:27:30 AMI must have caught the SlowPokemon mass posting fever XD
[close]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Altissimo

Quote from: Bespinben on July 23, 2015, 11:45:36 PMSolid stuff! I like the quasi bossa nova feel to it. The only mistake I see is that the Bb's in m. 17 and 18 should be spelled A#.

Hm, what's your reasoning for that? I can see how it kinda makes more sense in the context of those measures but I'd like to hear why you say those (and only those) should be A#'s. (Mostly because I can't immediately see why and as a future-music-theory-grad-student I'm like OH GOD WHAT IS IT WHAT AM I MISSING)

Bespinben

We can look at it in 3 ways:

(1) It's a minor-major seventh chord (B, D, F#, A#)

(2) You almost never will juxtapose a B natural (the bass) against a Bb (melody). Olimar's "Fighting Polygon Team" features an exception to this, because the "turnaround chord" at the end of the repeat is an E7#9 (the #9 typically spelled as a b10). That's not this song though.

(3) Direction of chromatic motion. Measure 16 is a Bb because the chromatic motion is downwards (to A), but m. 17-18 is A# because the chromatic motion is upwards (to B)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Altissimo

All of those points make sense. Thanks!

Also, I have a new arrangement that's not Hamtaro related, gasp. Pokémon Center from Gold/Silver/Crystal.
MIDI / MUS / PDF

Tobbeh99

Ah, you're broadening your horizons! :)
good arrangement, the song is very similar to the pokémon R/B/Y version. 

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

I didn't actually end up using the RBY version for reference, though. I did it mostly on my own.

This next arrangement, however, I did have a reference for - it's a replacement arrangement for one already on the site, this time of Route 38.
MIDI / MUS / PDF