Is it "bad" to have somewhat large stretches?

Started by Pianist Da Sootopolis, July 04, 2015, 12:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I'm doing an arrangement of Pokemon Colosseum's Cipher Syndacite Theme, and there's a guitar riff I want to include. But, doing it with the bass (how I have it notated, at least) creates a somewhat large gap (a tenth) between the guitar and part of the bass line (albeit the section isn't vital).
I was thinking about putting the little parenthesis around it, or whatever it is, that basically means "play this if you can".
Personally, I've worked it out on piano and it fits my hand fine, but I know not everyone has large hands.
Is the option I mentioned viable?
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Realized I was using the wrong bass figure anyways; one from a later measure.
I'm still curious though, is this a generally discouraged practice?
what is shitpost

Maelstrom

10ths are acceptable, albeit a little discouraged, provided they are not too fast or anything.

Latios212

To be honest, 10ths are a big deterrent for me when finding sheets to learn, because unlike special techniques and fingerings it's not something you can learn to do. If your hand isn't big enough, then it just isn't big enough. Be considerate to players and make sure that it sounds alright if it's altered a bit for playability (e.g. if the chord is rolled, or one of the notes is moved or omitted).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Xaoz

Quote from: Latios212 on July 04, 2015, 06:47:45 AMTo be honest, 10ths are a big deterrent for me when finding sheets to learn, because unlike special techniques and fingerings it's not something you can learn to do. If your hand isn't big enough, then it just isn't big enough. Be considerate to players and make sure that it sounds alright if it's altered a bit for playability (e.g. if the chord is rolled, or one of the notes is moved or omitted).

Succeed or die trying.

Quote from: Bespinben on February 03, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
I give the Bespin seal of approval to Xaoz's critique (^o^)=b

FireArrow

Roll chords that are too big, it's an extremely common practice in both arranging and performing. 10ths depend on personal preference, but if a pianist can't reach it, it's implied to play it that way anyways. (Think: how chords are played on string instruments.)
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

InsigTurtle

Although, you'd still have to take note if the chord is supposed to be broken up in a specific way. The first thing that comes to my mind is in Rachmaninoff's prelude in c# minor, where there's one part where the both hands have to play 4-octave large chords, instead of rolling it, you play the bottom octaves first before jumping up to the chords up top. Although, if you want that in your sheet, it might be better to use grace notes with ties.

FireArrow

I think that would be a bit overkill in the case of a tenth.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department