News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Advice on adapting chords to single notes?

Started by johnsonic7, July 30, 2015, 06:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsonic7

Hello! First off, I would like to say that I really appreciate this website and all of the hard work you guys have put into all the music on it. Thanks for everything!
Second, I have been adapting some of the music here from piano sheet music to (Chromatic) Harmonica tabs for personal use, and while it has mostly been smooth sailing, I have run into a bit of a wall when it comes to adapting multiple notes being played at once to an instrument that only does one note at a time. I don't have much music knowledge, so I was wondering if there was any rule of thumb when trying to convert a chord or what have you to a single note.
example:

http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/1151
On the left hand towards the bottom of the first page, it alternates between an [A] and [C, E, and a higher A] at once. Any idea what note I should put to replace the chord? and is there some sort of rule I should follow when making this conversion? Any help would be appreciated.
Take care of yourself, kid. 'cause someone really cares about you.

Maelstrom

Step one: Identify the chord
Step two: Play the root
It's that simple

In the case that they are both the same chord, like what you mentioned, just play the root followed by the root an octave higher.
So, it'd be A and then A (an octave higher)

Does that make sense?

johnsonic7

How do I know if they are the same chord or identify it in general?

Maelstrom

Are you familiar with chords in general?
Like, for example, if it has a C, E, and G, it's a C chord or an inversion, in it's simplest form.

johnsonic7

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 30, 2015, 08:47:49 PMAre you familiar with chords in general?
No. ;w;
http://www.pianochord.com/list-of-chords
Looking at this website, if something is listed as a C chord, the root is a C then?

InsigTurtle

Just wondering if you're going to adapt it into something for harmonica, why aren't you just using the melody on top?

Also, yes. You'll need to be careful when looking at inversions, though.

Brawler4Ever

Quote from: johnsonic7 on July 30, 2015, 06:08:37 PMhttp://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/1151
On the left hand towards the bottom of the first page, it alternates between an [A] and [C, E, and a higher A] at once. Any idea what note I should put to replace the chord? and is there some sort of rule I should follow when making this conversion? Any help would be appreciated.

Generally the note for which you would be looking is the top note. Just delete the E and A and you'll find that the song sounds pretty much the same. This works for pretty much every chord.

Ninja'd. Yeah, what Insig said.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

johnsonic7

Thanks, guys~ Will follow your advice. Sorry for my stupidness. @.@

Jub3r7

One of my favorite ways to find the root is by humming what I think the chord sounds like. I can't guarantee this will work every time, but yeah
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Tobbeh99

In this case I'd play fifths (A-E-A-E etc.). But I recommend playing the different notes and listen what sounds best.

Just wondering why are you playing the accompaniment, and not the melody, on a harmonica? Are you playing a duet with somebody?
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

johnsonic7

I do usually play the Melody, I just used the sheet I linked to as a quick example. :P
I have planned on doing some stuff with my friend who plays acoustic guitar but we've yet to get it together. ;w;

JDMEK5

Woah another chromatic player! I've been playing chromatic for a couple years myself already and I adapt piano sheets all the time. Is there an outstanding question or was everything already taken care of?

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26