News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Legend of Zelda Timeline Theories

Started by pumpy_heart, February 26, 2008, 04:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpy_heart

Post your timeline theories!
I agree with the timeline theory, the theory that OoT left two timelines available. 1 being the time where Ganon is sealed away and where Link is sent back. The second being when Ganondorf was banished back when Link was Young Link.
In order to completely follow my theory, you must understand that there are many different Link's and Zelda's. Anyways...from start to end..

1) The Minish Cap (GBA)- The Hero refered to is the Hero of Man in the opener. Link obtains his trademark Green hat here too.

2) The Four Swords (GBA) - Mainly because you do not have the sages mentioned nor is Ganon here.

3) Ocarina of Time (N64) - This justs seems to fit. Besides the interview that was made in 1999 claiming this to be the first game, you also have Ganondorf and Ganon introduced. The Sages are also here.

TIMELINE A - Where Young Link and Young Zelda turn Ganondorf in to the officials before Ganondorf takes over Hyrule

4a) Majora's Mask (N64) - Direct sequel to OoT. Same Zelda. Same Ocarina.

5a) Four Swords Adventure (GC) - I haven't played this game, but from what I hear, this seems to be the most logical placement. The time period of silence I put between Majora's Mask and the Oracles allow enough time for this to occur.

6a) Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Time (GBC) - This is my ending to timeline A. This may tick off some Zelda fans, but this is where I believe it ends. Anyways, the oracle duo is the duo that truly originated the split timeline theory. It is theorized that these two games occur simultaneously within the two different timelines. Neither mention ganon or the sages, so other placement other than the very end of the timeline doesn't make much sense. If you combine the playing of both these games, you do encounter Ganon. I believe that encountering Ganon merges the timeline back together.

TIMELINE B - The timeline where you have Adult Zelda, No Link, and a banished form of Ganon

4b) Twilight Princess (GC/Wii) - I place this here not only because it occurs after 100 years after OoT, but I believe that the reincarnation of Ganon is the reincarnation of the Ganon sealed away. Also, Link in this version does not appear to know much of the plot of OoT. I believe that this is a different Link than the one in OoT as well.

5b) Windwaker (GC) - I place this game in this timeline just because it mentions the sealing away of Ganon. It also is placed hear by many other theories. The flooding of the Sea has explained to be caused by the Sealing of Ganon again.  I believe this is yet another new Link and Zelda, as both are clueless of who they really are.

6b) Phantom Hourglass (DS) - Direct sequel to Windwaker.

7b) Link's Awakening (GB/GBC) - I believe that this game occurs with the same Link as the Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass Link. Zelda is not mentioned at all in this game (except for a brief exclamation by Link at the beginning), plus it appears that Link has his own boat and he is in a great ocean when he is shipwrecked. To me, this sounds like the Great Sea of Hyrule of WW and PH.

8b) Legend of Zelda (NES) - Woo! Yeah! More destruction of what you thought was truth!
Anyways...I place this here mainly because of the following. There is no Lake Hylia as in other Zelda games except the ones that follow this game as well. Without Hylia, what if the Great Sea of Hyrule from WW, PH, and LA had eventually left? The sea level would be all that is left. The Mountain at the top of the map could be the Death Mountain Range, however you can never reach the top because it is so far out of water. This also would lead for a new hero of Link to get his weapons. Also, no cities on this map would suggest that either the people are living on death mountain or somewhere else (which I will get to shortly). This is probably the most controversial point of my theory, but I am very open to discussion of it. Also, with Ganon, not Ganondorf, this seems to flow as well.

9b) Adventure of Link (NES) - Sequel to LoZ. I believe Link eventually got over the mountain range and hears the official "Legend of Zelda". He then has reached civilization and towns and the like. Also, the towns (cept the port) are named after the Sages, which in the other timeline were not known. This game does not have Lake Hylia either, so it makes sense.

10b) Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - Whichever one goes in which timeline is completely up in the air. However, the other goes hear, and ends this timeline.

Now....only one game out. If you consider Crossbow Training a game, I would put it with Twilight Princess.
The one true game I left out was A Link to the Past. Honestly, I am not entirely sure where this game fits. It could come after Twilight Princess, which makes the most sense, or it could come after Four Swords Adventure. If it comes after Twilight Princess, it could make sense, but why does he have a trident all of a sudden? If it came after Four Swords Adventure, then that would explain why Ganon has a trident, but how does the opening know of the Sages? One possible view is that Young Link told the King of Hyrule back in OoT of his adult adventures and this leads to how it is mentioned as part of the history of Alttp. However, if Young Link did do this, it could shift a couple of my views. Personally, I dont think Young Link and the King of Hyrule were on speaking terms. I will probably replay Alttp to find a permanent spot in this timeline theory of mine.

Anyways....there you go. My Legend of Zelda timeline theory. I am welcome to discuss any parts you may have questions about. Feel free to post your own theories.

Echo

Ganon appears in OOS/OOA if you beat them one after the other in a Secrets playthrough. It also makes sense for Link's Awakening to happen after the Oracle games because the true ending shows Link leaving by sea, and LA starts off with a ship-wrecked Link.

pumpy_heart

Oh yeah. Your right about Ganon being mentioned in the Oracles if you complete it like that. That alone, the password thingy, has caused some theorists to believe that these games occur on the same timeline, one after another. However, I dont see that occuring.
There are many seas in the Legend of Zelda series. I dont think that just because the Oracles show Link going away on a ship means that its the same Link as Link's Awakening nor that it is the same sea.

Akiro

Wind Waker should be before all the other games because you obtain the green clothes and etc.

Oracle of Time and Seasons were not even made by Nintendo and I never played them because they didn't even seem like a REAL Zelda game.

Plus, Koji Kondo didn't make the music...but that doesn't change the timeline or anything....

pumpy_heart

The Link in WW didnt even know he possessed a piece of the triforce. However, Ganon was sealed away before WW. This would mean Ganon would have to be known before then.
Oracle was approved by Nintendo. They are a different case than the Cd-i games.
However, you may have a point. Capcom may not know Nintendo's great scheme, and they dont fit in at all. However, I think my timeline has room for them.
Oracles felt just like any other Handheld Zelda to me.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Akiro on February 26, 2008, 07:32:47 PMWind Waker should be before all the other games because you obtain the green clothes and etc.

Oracle of Time and Seasons were not even made by Nintendo and I never played them because they didn't even seem like a REAL Zelda game.

Plus, Koji Kondo didn't make the music...but that doesn't change the timeline or anything....

This post is full of fail.

About Wind Waker, just because you don't have the hero's tunic at the beginning doesn't mean it's the first game.  Your logic makes no sense.

The Oracle games were excellent games, and just because the usual Zelda team didn't make the game doesn't mean that it isn't canon.  Minish Cap wasn't developed by the team yet it stayed true to the whole four swords timelineamathingy.

Koji Kondo composing the music makes absolutely no difference.

----------------
Listening to: B01
via FoxyTunes

me irl
[close]

kirby_superstar

i would put the Oracles games(in any order) right after MM, cuz there are events in the secrets playthroughs when you will meet princess zelda and she is accompanied by her knights in either Labrynna or Holodrum, they do recognize each other, if only slightly, and this would fit with what happened at the end of OoT, and it is still link. he doesnt remember impa,etc. cuz zelda sent him back in time so he could live out a normal childhood, anyway ive played both secret playthroughs to the end, and that is my opinion

P.S. is what part of the alphabet would look like withouth Q and R
P.P.S.if you only played the games without the secret playthroughs the timeline wouldnt make sense
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.

pumpy_heart

@kirby_superstar- Well....I'm pretty sure Young Link knows of his adventures as Adult Link from OoT. This is how he convinces Young Zelda to convince her dad, the Hyrule King, that Ganondorf is evil.
So with your theory with the soldiers, Link would recognize both Zelda but not Impa. I believe if this was the same Link from OoT, he would know both of them. But since he doesn't recognize Impa, I believe it is a different Link. You can always recognize Zelda by her clothing, so I'm not surprised he recognized her.

Akiro

QuoteThis post is full of fail.
Your logic makes no sense, "the post is full of fail", speak right.

QuoteKoji Kondo composing the music makes absolutely no difference.
Did I not just say that did not make a difference?

razer84

damn commies.

Shiny Boy

I think there was a timeline split at Ocarina of Time; one for Twilight Princess, and one for Wind Waker. In one timeline, Ganondorf would have been banished by the king and would have returned (and forced the gods to flood the land). Majora's Mask would have taken place at this time. After Phantom Hourglass, this timeline would effectively be "over" as no other Zelda games involve a great sea covering the whole landscape.
In the other branch, where Link is an adult, the sages would banish Ganondorf and thus set up Twilight Princess.
I think it is generally accepted that Ocarina is the "first" game, and the 2D ones are relatively "recent." But I'm not entirely sure of any of that.
Bow to me, for I am...Shiny Boy!

pumpy_heart

No offense, but your theory contains some flaws Silence.
Ganon was banished in the Adult Zelda end of the 2nd Adult timeline of OoT. Ganondorf was banished in the young zelda/young link timeline.
Only Ganon would have the power to force a flood, so I think you have your placement of Twilight Princess and WW messed up.

Tompa

I haven't bothered much to figure out a timeline on LoZ.

Instead, of I'm just going to say that Zelda was indeed mentioned in Link's Awakening.

"What? Zelda? No my name's Marin! You must still be feeling a little woozy. You are on Koholint Island."

Shiny Boy

Quote from: pumpy_heart on February 27, 2008, 09:22:09 PMNo offense, but your theory contains some flaws Silence.
Ganon was banished in the Adult Zelda end of the 2nd Adult timeline of OoT. Ganondorf was banished in the young zelda/young link timeline.
Only Ganon would have the power to force a flood, so I think you have your placement of Twilight Princess and WW messed up.
Ganon/dorf was banished by the sages at the end of Ocarina, as revealed in Twilight Princess.
In the very beginning of Wind Waker, it is explained that after the hero left, and left behind his Triforce, Ganondorf returned. At the end, Ganondorf reveals that the gods flooded Hyrule shortly thereafter.
The possibility of having just one timeline makes little sense; if it were so, adult Link from Ocarina would never have existed (except, of course, seven years after Majora's Mask). And, it means that after Twilight Princess (which would obviously come before Wind Waker), Ganondorf would return AGAIN to make the gods flood Hyrule.
Bow to me, for I am...Shiny Boy!

Brawler4Ever

Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!