[DELETED] [PC] Undertale - "Heartache" by Madmonk12345

Started by Zeta, November 25, 2015, 01:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 26, 2015, 10:34:55 AMAs for the left hand notes in the beginning not falling on the beat in 3/4... that's just syncopation. This comes up multiple times throughout the course of theme, but the main melody in areas such as m8-11 is a giveaway to the 3/4 time signature.
You know, it may actually be both. The melody portions certainly have a 3/4 feel to them, but the bassline to me is almost certainly 6/8. Apart from that, each phrase in each measure seems to be broken into two pieces, not three, which I think lends more credence to the piece being in 6/8 overall.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Tobbeh99

^^

Emm yes I guess. I feel it as a 6/8, or a 3/8.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Echo

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 26, 2015, 10:34:55 AMareas such as m8-11 is a giveaway to the 3/4 time signature.

To me it still sounds like 6/8 at that part. If you wanna see it, try re-writing the half note in measure 9 into a dotted quarter tied to an eighth, and then you'll see that the whole melody part for measures 8-11 clearly follows a beat of dotted quarters while matching beaming with the left hand.

mastersuperfan

...Well, I guess it's just me then. ;_;

Though you guys don't seem to hear it as I do, my reasoning is that the 6/8-ish parts work fine as syncopated voices in 3/4, but the 3/4-ish melody doesn't fit in 6/8.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Madmonk12345

While this debate is interesting, it doesn't answer the current central question and can be decided later, especially because each option has the same number of measures with the same contents. What more (if anything) needs to be changed to make the piece acceptable for submission by the site? What has to go and what can stay given difficulty requirements?

Quote from: Zeila on November 26, 2015, 01:05:04 AMI believe he meant placing triads (a group of three notes) is impractical at that speed, but I could be wrong
Three problems with that interpretation: he was describing changes relating to transcription instead of difficulty, there were no quarter notes with triads in the original version because of the halved speed on the measures, and the only triads that lead into each other with 16ths with the new version that are in the piece are pretty natural progressions outside of the left hand rolled chords which have a space to prepare your hand before each of them.

Don't worry about the edit though. It was a good start.

Madmonk12345

Edited the document. pretty minor changes however. Please review and take a look so this can get the changes it needs for submission; I don't want to run out of my month of Finale making this unchangable and likely never accepted due to no one being both able and willing to put in the effort.  It sounds so wonderful; it'd be a shame to throw the 30-40 hours I've tossed into this away.

mastersuperfan

Space everything farther apart vertically; a lot of things are overlapping or coming very close.

Some dynamics overlap with staves and notes.

Some of the notations aren't really practical without pedaling. For example, in m9, that chord cannot be held, so arpeggiating it is useless unless the pianist should be using the pedal. Also, m31. I don't think pedaling would work out very well in this arrangement, though, so you're going to have to find a workaround.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Madmonk12345

Thanks for the reply. I've made the appropriate changes and updated all the files, but it's not going to fit on 5 pages anymore because measures any further spread out aren't going to fit 5 rows per page. What should be done?

Also, on measure 11 and any measures that repeat that portion, there's a tenth. I can play it, but my hands are rather big. I can't raise the note below an octave like I did for previous sections however as it would be the same note twice in the lower layer. What (if anything) should I do about this?

There were one or two rolled chords with extended duration that I could have changed, but lack of pedal wouldn't have been an issue anyways. it's mezzoforte and fades pretty quickly.

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Madmonk12345

Heartache draft 4 is. Oops. Decided to start numbering them here, didn't really think it would be confusing.

Madmonk12345

Just realized I worded that poorly. Heartache draft 4 is the newer version.

JesterMusician

It does sound really good and faithful - it's obvious you put a lot of effort into it. But there are a few things keeping it from that next level of quality.
  • It is best to not obscure the beat division - both beats in 6/8 time need to be clear. For this reason, half-notes should not be used in 6/8 time (unless the accentuation is momentarily 3/4, which is never the case in this song). Rewrite each of them as a dotted quarter tied to an eighth.
  • The B-naturals in 31-36 should be written as C-flats. Look at the RH chord in 32 for example: it's actually a root-position triad, but it looks like a second-inversion one. C-flats will reinforce that intervallic relationship properly.
  • Temporary part splitting, such as in 9 and 10, should be done beatwise - you should not hide rests that complete the beat. For example, either the eighth rest in 9 be made visible, or the quarter note be extended to a dotted quarter (I would do the latter).
  • 7 could be taken a step further by combining the secondary voices of both staves into a double-stemmed beam.
  • Trailing rests of a beat in compound time, such as LH 13 and 14, should show all subdivisions. Instead of eighth note then quarter rest, it should be eighth note followed by two eighth rests (but quarter note followed by eighth note is acceptable).
  • I would avoid using ff everywhere because it loses its power - save it for the most dramatic moments of the piece, use f elsewhere.
  • Grace note groups should be connected to the principle note with a slur.
  • I'm not sure how, but you somehow put a staccato on rests in 13 and 16.
These are just notation points; I haven't thoroughly investigated the arrangement's accuracy (but I noticed a few notes in LH 11-12).
I'm looking forward to the next iteration =)

Olimar12345

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 30, 2015, 06:55:49 PMWith this now being an official project, EVERYONE REMOVE YOUR UNDERTALE SUBMISSIONS AND INSTEAD POST THEM HERE.

Free up your submissions for other pieces and get your Undertale arrangements all in one spot here:

http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=7974.0
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

DonValentino