News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Is this type of arrangement okay for the site?

Started by WandringMinstrel, December 03, 2015, 10:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WandringMinstrel

I made an arrangement of the "Water Town" theme from Shantae, but felt that it needed a little something more.
So I added in an arrangement of the similar "Sky" theme from Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (which is based on "Water Town") to give it a bit more variety.

My question is: how does NSM feel about mixing songs from different games? In this case, the songs are nearly identical, but I'd like to check here before submitting it.

Here are links (from my arrangements thread):
Water Town / Sky - YouTube 1 2 - MUS - MIDI - PDF - MUSX
Less is More. Show, Don't Tell. God is in the Details.
My Arrangements Thread: http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=7510.0

WandringMinstrel

Here are embeds for the YouTube links, for ease of listening.

[GBC] - Shantae version ("Water Town")

[3DS/WiiU] - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse version ("Sky")

Tobbeh99

Technically making an arrangement consisting of 2 or more songs is not submittable. Unless:
1)They follow each other in a logical way, like Bespinben arrangement of Opening from Zelda: Link's Awakening.
2) They are so similiar so they're basically the same song but 2 or more different versions of it. Like some of the songs from the Animal Crossing: New Leaf project.
3) It's a medley. However there are some criterias  for medley such as they should have a common theme, not just a bunch of songs put into an arrangement.

I'm not sure in this situation whether it's ok. I think you'd have to make 2 different arrangements of the songs to get it submitted. There are a lot of games with songs being reused in later games, and usually we have different arrangements for those. Like Pokémon Gold & Silver and Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

WandringMinstrel

My main concern was that Water Town arrangement by itself is so sparse, since the counter melody can't be played at the same time as the melody and bass. Which is why I added the more chordal Sky theme, to make it more interesting. I understand the site's approach, though, so I realize this arrangement might be better suited somewhere else.

Tobbeh99

I don't get how the Water Town is sparse. In the beginning you got a melody in the RH and a bass+arpeggios in the LH. Later on it gets difficult. Maybe put the melody in the LH, and let the RH play tremolo chords like string tremolos. Just some ideas; but I definitely think it can work by itself if you put some effort and creativity in it. :)
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh