E. Gadd's Word of the Week & Others' Interpretations of Said Word™️

Started by E. Gadd Industries, January 03, 2016, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oronoco

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on March 13, 2016, 02:30:28 PM3/13/16 Panglossian (adj.)- marked by the view that all is for the best in this best of possible worlds: excessively optimistic

This is where I draw the line for optimism. I mean, sure, I love being around positive people (and am one myself), but this is just too much. I would even go so far as to say suspicious... <.<  >.>
Apparently, this word references Voltaire's novel Candide; one of the characters (Dr. Pangloss) is the example optimist that is known for stating a quote that the definition contains nods to. ("All is for the best in this best of possible worlds")

That's super-interesting and I actually really like that definition. (It makes me happy.)
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

E. Gadd Industries

Well, if you liked that definition, you'll probably like this one as well!:
3/15/16 Hamartia (n.)- a flaw in character that brings about the downfall of the hero of a tragedy: tragic flaw

...Currently, my head is swimming (no pun intended) from my programming course, so I can't think of any examples offhand.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on March 15, 2016, 07:06:57 AMWell, if you liked that definition, you'll probably like this one as well!:
3/15/16 Hamartia (n.)- a flaw in character that brings about the downfall of the hero of a tragedy: tragic flaw

...Currently, my head is swimming (no pun intended) from my programming course, so I can't think of any examples offhand.
Why Do I think of Sans when I read this?
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Dudeman

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on March 15, 2016, 07:06:57 AM...Currently, my head is swimming (no pun intended) from my programming course, so I can't think of any examples offhand.
How to succeed in internet:
Step 1: Slip the phrase "(no pun intended)" into a sentence with no pun in it.
Step 2: Sit back and watch the madness.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

BrainyLucario

Dudeman

...I'll see myself out (no pun intended).
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

Like in the Percy Jackson series they sorta assigned everyone their fatal (no pun intended) flaw
Percy's is loyalty and Annabeth's is hubris
unmotivated

braix

i dont get it (no pun intended)

Spoiler
get it? cuz there is no pun huehuehuehue
[close]
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

E. Gadd Industries

Noc's is a good example
The pun was currently, swimming... :/
Anyhoo,
3/16/16 Amalgamate (v.)- to unite in or as if in a mixture of elements; especially: to merge into a single body
The only thing I can think of is a silver-mercury amalgamation, but that's just what I remember from World History from the Potosi silver mine in South America, during the time of the mit'a and encomienda labor systems.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

BrainyLucario

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on March 16, 2016, 06:59:55 AMNoc's is a good example
The pun was currently, swimming... :/
Anyhoo,
3/16/16 Amalgamate (v.)- to unite in or as if in a mixture of elements; especially: to merge into a single body
The only thing I can think of is a silver-mercury amalgamation, but that's just what I remember from World History from the Potosi silver mine in South America, during the time of the mit'a and encomienda labor systems.
Remember this word as you watch the Undertale playthrough E. Gadd.....Don't forget it...
 Undertale Spoilers. NO PEEKING E. GADD!!!
This definition is really accurate. It describes what the Amalgamates in the True Lab are perfectly. Monsters that have merged into a single body.
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on March 16, 2016, 06:59:55 AM3/16/16 Amalgamate (v.)- to unite in or as if in a mixture of elements; especially: to merge into a single body
I was wondering why an Undertale reference wasn't the first thing to come to mind, but I forgot that it's Brainy and not you who's played Undertale to completion.

Oronoco

Wow. I'm really surprised Brainy hasn't convinced you to watch it sooner.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

E. Gadd Industries

Oh, believe me, he tried. A lot. I eventually found that it wasn't worth it to keep resisting, else I would become perturbed, and he, well, it's hard to say what would happen to him. XD But if you're wanting me to keep it in mind, why did you say no peeking, Brainy? And I suppose I'll understand the reference later on, huh?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

amalgams are generally a mess anyway
no pun intended
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

Ahhhh XD
Also, if I made a topic where you posted NCAA tourney predictions, would any of you participate?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]