Th3Gavst3r's Arrangements (Beer 3/17)

Started by Th3Gavst3r, January 05, 2016, 05:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Th3Gavst3r

We've had some really great sheets accepted to the site today, but I've still got a few the moderators didn't get to review. So in case you haven't had enough new high quality arrangements today, I give you:

[GBC] Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version

Cycling (Two Pianos)

[MUL] Shovel Knight

Main Theme (Piano Solo)

[NDS] Pokémon HeartGold and Pokémon SoulSilver

S.S. Aqua

Latios212

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on April 01, 2016, 11:31:41 AM[MUL] Shovel Knight

Main Theme (Piano Solo)
Awesome! I've actually recently been looking for something simple to keep up my sight-reading practice. Great work!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

quit pretending to be ben you can't pull it off :P
unmotivated

Th3Gavst3r

Jokes are safely over, got real stuff now

[GBA] Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak

Cave
Ham-Jam Room
Unused Track 1

[MUL] Miitomo

Home (Evening)

[MUL] Shovel Knight

Main Theme

Home (Evening) was an interesting one to arrange, but the real star of this batch is Shovel Knight. I've spent a lot of time on this one trying to do it justice. That said, I still have a few issues with it and would really love it if people could give it a read. My last big issue is at measure 21, where I can't have Finale do an ottava in the LH without it also lowering the cross-staff notes. I'm not sure if that's correct behavior, but the octaves go much further down the staff than I'd like as-is.

Other than that, I'm not completely satisfied with how measures 27-30 sound, but I've tried loads of stuff and this is the best I've come up with.
If for any reason you'd like the full 7-channel transcription from the game for reference (like I did,) I've put it up on my Other Arrangements thread.

Oh yeah, do we have a Mobile game prefix? You know, besides [MUL]

Th3Gavst3r

[GBA] Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak

Final Credits

[GBA] Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire

Mt. Chimney
Petalburg Woods
Slateport City

[GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards

Name Entry

Finally got some stuff done from the Hoenn region :D

Altissimo

shit how did i not notice the earlier updates

imma comment on the hamtaro ones:

cave: nothin to say, looks good lol
ham-jam room: same
unused track 1: augh i should have mentioned i was working on this one myself >.- oh well you did it better than me anyway lol. one thing: m. 11 and 15, you the 2nd dotted quarter should be an eighth-tied-quarter.
final credits: musically it sounds fine, but i'd recommend putting it on 2 pages; it's pretty cramped as is. Also, you're missing the ending! :p

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Altissimo on April 13, 2016, 11:55:53 AMAlso, you're missing the ending! :p
WHAT!?
I totally just assumed this went on a loop, the whole song's there now lol. Hopefully it's more spread out now too. I crushed it all onto one page before because there was barely anything that overflowed onto the second page, but I guess the song is actually longer than I thought :P

Quote from: Latios212 on April 13, 2016, 12:15:34 PMYAAAAAAS
SOOPRISE BOYYY

Altissimo

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on April 13, 2016, 04:14:14 PMWHAT!?
I totally just assumed this went on a loop, the whole song's there now lol. Hopefully it's more spread out now too. I crushed it all onto one page before because there was barely anything that overflowed onto the second page, but I guess the song is actually longer than I thought :P

Little bit! :p

Anyway - I meant to mention this earlier but forgot - m. 28, that might be a bit hard to play. Don and I decided to take that lick out of the Ham-Hams Unite version of the song (which is in the far easier F major) so you might wanna consider just leaving the eighth note part.

EDIT: Also, before I forget, the title screen/Hamtaro Time was actually only arranged by Satoko Yokota. The original composers, as far as I can gather (from watching the credits of the anime, from whence comes this theme) are Craig F. McCaw and David Iris.

Th3Gavst3r

Oh yeah, good point with the composers.
I do see what you mean about that run. I went through the fingerings and it seems pretty comfortable to play actually, but it is a bit of a difficulty spike compared to the rest of the song because of the tempo. Decided to replace it with sixths like you did, definitely not a bad substitution

DonValentino

I'm impressed with Petalburg Woods and Mt. Chimney, good work.

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: DonValentino on April 14, 2016, 03:03:39 AMI'm impressed with Petalburg Woods and Mt. Chimney, good work.
Thanks, I'm really glad you like 'em :D

Tobbeh99

Wow nice arrangement of Mt Chimney! One of the best song in the game in my opinion! Thought of doing it myself, but now when you did I don't need to :). I think it could be a bit improved however. Here's some feedback:

-M.1-2:
I think you incorporate more of the percussion. I think it could give a more drive to the intro.
Maybe have it start in a soft dynamic, like mp, and have a cresc. to during the first 2 measures.

-M.3-10:
I'm not if it actually is the same, that you could use a repeat system, I think the 2 runs differs slightly.
Maybe try to use some different dynamics and/or accents to give this part more variety and more punchy feeling. I feel like the trumpets sound stronger than the horns in this part for example. 

-M.6-7:
I think that the second voice maybe should be in octaves, or maybe only at the end octaves to give it more power/importance. Maybe add a cresc. to m.7 as well, I think that makes sense.

-M.10:
I'm not sure about the playability of the 32-notes.

M.13-18:
I think this part should have a more legato feel. The first part being very spiky and staccato, and then this part being more like a flow and more legato.
I think you should incorporate the fast arpeggio run in some way. I think it could be great if you could manage that. Maybe even in the RH and then have the LH play the melody.
Maybe also notate to use the pedal at this part (con ped.). 

M.19-22:
Maybe have this part in a stronger dynamic, and/or a cresc. in the last 2 measures, to make it more emphatic.

The drum solo:
Maybe incorporate the drum solo at the end by playing 4ths, 5ths, 8vs in the bass register.

Otherwise nice done! Glad to see one of my favorite themes from the game being arranged!
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Th3Gavst3r

That's some awesome, thoughtful feedback right there Tobbeh. Definitely makes me happy to see ;D
Looks like I made some pretty bad mistakes though lol, here's what I changed/didn't
Spoiler
-M.1-2:
The notes from the timpani are actually in the chords already, and it sounds kind of weird if you try to double it up in other octaves... I did add accents and a crescendo at least

-M.3-10:
You're absolutely right, once again I've wrongly assumed that a song loops :P

-M.6-7:
I think adding octaves to the second voice would make it really difficult to play (especially if you also try to hold that half note), and the octave on the very last note does a good job of "popping" the end of the section. As for the crescendo, I honestly feel like the song enters a relatively light section in measures 7 and 8, and a crescendo would kind of contradict that attitude. I also think the mood on certain beats (like the feeling of "surprise!" on measure 7 beat 4) is somewhat emphasized just by the added harmonies.

-M.10:
You're right, the grace notes were totally bad lol. Changed it to only the top of the harmony. If you also meant the LH 32nds, I think those are more necessary but should be easy enough to roll across the hand.

-M.13-18:
I suppose a legato marking couldn't hurt :P Couldn't find a reasonable way to incorporate the arpeggios themselves, but I picked some notes out of the chords they form and added harmonies. The section did sound pretty thin before, hopefully now it's slightly better

M.19-22:
Yup, dun did it

The drum solo:
Honestly, it's pretty boring without the snare rolls involved, and those aren't really something the player can just do idly with their other hand. The song repeats remarkably well without that section too, so I'm inclined to leave it how it is
[close]