News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

12Mari0's Arrangements

Started by 12Mari0, January 08, 2016, 12:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12Mari0

So, here are the pieces I'm arranging at the moment;

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Antasma's Theme [Folder]

Super Mario Maker
Title Theme + 2 Pianos [Folder]

Wii Sports
Wii Sports Theme [Folder]

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Coming Soon:

Super Mario Maker
Coursebot's Theme

Super Paper Mario
One Shot
Lineland Road
The Evil Count Bleck

Please tell me if any of these have been taken. Thanks!
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.

BrainyLucario

Awesome! Can't wait to see them!
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

12Mari0

Folders are up! :) If this isn't the best way to do threads like this I'm happy to change it, just let me know!
Mario: Some sort of superman who can smash bricks with his head. Dies when he touches a turtle. Nintendo logic.

Zeila

If you plan on submitting either of them, you need to edit the formatting. If you can't fix all of it, then someone else can do it for you on the help boards. Here's a link to the Formatting Guidelines.

Some other general tips:

Super Mario Maker - Title Theme
  • 255 is too fast. You should halve the note length values and change the tempo marking to quarter = 127/8 (your choice, but some people prefer even tempo markings). Also, I think the expression should come before the tempo marking
  • I think you could add in some of the bass notes (played with the base of the palm) for the introduction. The clicking sound could be a knuckle. I personally would replace the right hand with the shaker part, but that is your choice
  • If you are going to have staccatos on half notes and tied notes, you might as well add a rest and/or get rid of the tie
  • That one measure of 2/4 is unnecessary because you miscounted the rhythm. Following the current layout, in m11, the two eighth notes start on beat 4, and there should be one more rest before the clap
  • If you are going to notate a clap, only one rhythm is necessary (since a two handed clap sounds better than two one-handed claps, imo) unless you want the performer to do it on their thighs (idk how you would specify that)
  • I think once you specify a certain action, you don't need to restate it again. By this, I mean that once you put clap the first time, you don't have to put clap whenever it shows up again. I'm not totally sure on that though, and it doesn't hurt to notate stuff a second time
  • There are some missing voices/harmonies/octaves that you could implement from m33-end. Maybe try experimenting with the voices themselves

Dream Team - Antasma's Theme
  • The note values and tempo marking should be halved. As far as the last few notes go, I think you could write those out as grace notes and sacrifice accuracy for the first time through (or you could just write those out as 32nd notes)
  • You're missing some harmonies on the left hand part in m19-end. You're also missing a chord(?) in the beginning
  • I'm not very good at key signatures and enharmonic spellings, but I think the A# in m20 and 24 should be spelled as Gb. Also B# in m20 is just C. This is considering the fact that I think the piece is in A harmonic minor and modulates to G harmonic minor for a bit (feel free to speak up if I'm wrong)
  • I'm not sure if a key signature for 2 measures (if you end up halving the notes) is worth it. If you decide to keep it though, then there should be a double bar line before every key and time change (also works for future reference)
  • I think you should experiment with the voicing so that the marimba part is included. If you feel this is satisfactory already, maybe you could create a duet (four hands) or two piano version as well

12Mari0

Quote from: Zeila on January 10, 2016, 07:20:22 PMIf you plan on submitting either of them, you need to edit the formatting. If you can't fix all of it, then someone else can do it for you on the help boards. Here's a link to the Formatting Guidelines.

Some other general tips:

Super Mario Maker - Title Theme
  • 255 is too fast. You should halve the note length values and change the tempo marking to quarter = 127/8 (your choice, but some people prefer even tempo markings). Also, I think the expression should come before the tempo marking
  • I think you could add in some of the bass notes (played with the base of the palm) for the introduction. The clicking sound could be a knuckle. I personally would replace the right hand with the shaker part, but that is your choice
  • If you are going to have staccatos on half notes and tied notes, you might as well add a rest and/or get rid of the tie
  • That one measure of 2/4 is unnecessary because you miscounted the rhythm. Following the current layout, in m11, the two eighth notes start on beat 4, and there should be one more rest before the clap
  • If you are going to notate a clap, only one rhythm is necessary (since a two handed clap sounds better than two one-handed claps, imo) unless you want the performer to do it on their thighs (idk how you would specify that)
  • I think once you specify a certain action, you don't need to restate it again. By this, I mean that once you put clap the first time, you don't have to put clap whenever it shows up again. I'm not totally sure on that though, and it doesn't hurt to notate stuff a second time
  • There are some missing voices/harmonies/octaves that you could implement from m33-end. Maybe try experimenting with the voices themselves

Dream Team - Antasma's Theme
  • The note values and tempo marking should be halved. As far as the last few notes go, I think you could write those out as grace notes and sacrifice accuracy for the first time through (or you could just write those out as 32nd notes)
  • You're missing some harmonies on the left hand part in m19-end. You're also missing a chord(?) in the beginning
  • I'm not very good at key signatures and enharmonic spellings, but I think the A# in m20 and 24 should be spelled as Gb. Also B# in m20 is just C. This is considering the fact that I think the piece is in A harmonic minor and modulates to G harmonic minor for a bit (feel free to speak up if I'm wrong)
  • I'm not sure if a key signature for 2 measures (if you end up halving the notes) is worth it. If you decide to keep it though, then there should be a double bar line before every key and time change (also works for future reference)
  • I think you should experiment with the voicing so that the marimba part is included. If you feel this is satisfactory already, maybe you could create a duet (four hands) or two piano version as well
Ok, thanks for that! I didn't change the accidentals because I have no clue what the difference between a G# and an Ab is... I will fix everything. Where did you intend the octaves to be? I put the clap in with both hands b/c you have to use both hands to clap, but I may be wrong again.
I'm really inexperienced with MuseScore and am only Grade 3 AMEB(Not Year 3 school), so I was a bit confronted by the whole 2 voices thing... I'll give it a try though. Thanks!

Altissimo

Quote from: 12Mari0 on January 10, 2016, 08:50:36 PMOk, thanks for that! With the B# and the others, if you were looking at the .mus file, finale put the accidentals in there for me; in the MuseScore document I think they're fine. I didn't change the accidentals because I assumed that finale was right (I have no clue what the difference between a G# and an Ab is) so I will fix everything.

Finale doesn't really know the difference between enharmonic spellings; that's just a music theory thing you have to know (or have someone help you with) yourself.

QuoteAlso what did you mean by the /8 at the end of the tempo marking? Thanks!

127 or 128.

Zeila

Quote from: 12Mari0 on January 10, 2016, 08:50:36 PMI didn't change the accidentals because I assumed that finale was right (I have no clue what the difference between a G# and an Ab is) so I will fix everything.
Generally, the point of writing notes out differently is so that the performer can make sense of it more easily. An example would be with how you wrote B#, when it is generally recognized to be C. A rule of thumb (from what I've recently gathered) is that you write flats when going down, and sharps when going up. There are some exceptions to that though (I don't have an example for one)

Quote from: 12Mari0 on January 10, 2016, 08:50:36 PMAlso what did you mean by the /8 at the end of the tempo marking?
Like Altissimo said, I meant 127 or 128

Quote from: 12Mari0 on January 10, 2016, 08:50:36 PMI put the clap in with both hands b/c you have to use both hands to clap, but I may be wrong again.
I think that since the majority of people will infer that you use both hands, it's fine to only write it out in one hand. You could just leave it in for now and see what the updaters have to say once you submit it

Quote from: 12Mari0 on January 10, 2016, 08:50:36 PMI'm really inexperienced with MuseScore and am only Grade 3 AMEB(Not Year 3 school), so I was a bit confronted by the whole 2 voices thing... I'll give it a try though. Thanks!
If you're still confused, I meant that there are some parts that you omitted that could be written in (for example, there's a part that plays chords at the end of Title Theme)

BTW I'm sorry about the A# thing. I meant that you should change it to Bb, not Gb. If you left it as A#, you would need a cautionary accidental for when it goes back to A anyways but it should still be written as Bb

12Mari0

I can hear the chords easily, but I'm completely stuck and have no clue what notes they are or where on the sheet to add them in... I'm completely stuck... Any tips? Please??

Zeila

It's best if you put them in another layer (you can do this in finale notepad by clicking on a different number on the bottom left(?) corner of the screen). I don't really know what to say aside from putting all of your focus on a specific part (in this case, the chords) so that you could figure out the rhythm and notes. It helps to know what it (the instrument) sounds like so that it's easier to ignore the other parts. You could slow down the audio through Youtube or some other available program out there. If you feel stuck, then try working on something else that you can fix (like the missing harmonies) and get back to it later

12Mari0

Decided to do an additional 2-piano part for Mario Maker Title Theme! It'll be in the same folder as the 1-piano counterpart in about 2 hours-ish.