Recommend Underrated/Undiscovered Games Topic

Started by Olimar12345, February 02, 2016, 04:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

NOT FOR RECOMMENDING WELL-KNOWN OR POPULAR GAMES/FRANCHISES We already have a general recommendation topic for that.

As the title suggests, use this topic to recommend games that have generally gone unnoticed, or under the radar. (pls no Prof. Layton or Ace Attorney, (etc.) we all know those games exist! c: )

For example, Kero Blaster, by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya has gone seemingly unnoticed by the gaming community. Made by the same mastermind behind Cave Story, this gem was simultaneously released for iOS and PC back in 2014. Gamers who have played it often make the comparison that, if Cave Story was Pixel's take on Metroid-style gameplay, then Kero Blaster was his take on Contra, and this is a wonderful thing. The game sports the same 2D, pixelated charm of Cave Story, and offers plenty in the department of replayability. The music is also phenomenal, but that should come to little surprise, given Pixel's reputation for creating superb chirp-tune, NES-style sound tracks. Unfortunately, time and time again, I find myself in the same conversation when this topic comes up:

Me: "So, have you ever played Cave Story?"
Person: Either "Yeah! Loved it!" or "No, but everyone says it's soooo good!/I want to!"
Me: "Have you heard of Kero Blaster?"
Person: "No, what's that?"

Then again, Cave Story was finished in 2004 and didn't really become a phenomenon until about 2010, so perhaps Kero Blaster will see it's time in the spot-light soon enough.

Discuss/recommend away~
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Nebbles

I really like VVVVVV - the music is good but oh god, it is unforgiving lest you fuck up.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Altissimo

Hamtaro
Licensed games about hamsters. Gonna suck, right? Well except for the part where Miyamoto and Iwata are in the credits as producers. And they're actually REALLY GOOD adventure games, likely in part because of that staff. Kids games to be sure, but GOOD ONES

BlackDragonSlayer

Axiom Verge is a game I haven't heard too many people talk about. I haven't played it, but it sounds like it might be pretty interesting.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Latios212

VVVVVV is great. The soundtrack is even greater.

I did play the Ham-Ham Games when I was little. Pretty fun, actually...
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

Adventure of Lolo is the bomb as well as one of the less popular NES games
unmotivated

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Altissimo on February 02, 2016, 05:06:25 PMHamtaro
Licensed games about hamsters. Gonna suck, right? Well except for the part where Miyamoto and Iwata are in the credits as producers.
Since Iwata became the president of Nintendo in 2002, his name is usually listed in the credits as "Executive Producer" simply by being the CEO. But out of curiosity I looked the games up, and was to find Shiggy's name as a producer. Huh.

Also: Picross 3D for NDS. It's essentially picross, but you have to chip away blocks on a cube instead of filling in dots on a grid. I've been replaying it recently and would totally reccomend it.

Altissimo

Quote from: Yug_Guy on February 02, 2016, 05:29:00 PMSince Iwata became the president of Nintendo in 2002, his name is usually listed in the credits as "Executive Producer" simply by being the CEO. But out of curiosity I looked the games up, and was to find Shiggy's name as a producer. Huh.

Ham Hams Unite was made in 2001 though! And yeah lol i took screenshots of miyamoto and iwata's names once

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on February 02, 2016, 05:29:00 PMAlso: Picross 3D for NDS. It's essentially picross, but you have to chip away blocks on a cube instead of filling in dots on a grid. I've been replaying it recently and would totally reccomend it.
I have this, I don't even remember where I got it from : o
Yeah it's pretty good! I play it from time to time.

Quote from: Nebbles on February 02, 2016, 05:58:35 PMHm, has anyone here heard of Scribblenauts?
yes HAHAAHA
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Altissimo

I lost my copy of scribblenauts (never finished) but it was gr8

mikey

unmotivated