News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Question about Japanese title

Started by Tobbeh99, February 10, 2016, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

Hi I'm about to arrange a song from Castlevania: Harmony of DIssonance. But the thing is that I have seen multiple translations of, like: "Chapel of Dissonance", "Chapel in the Air", "Sky Chapel", "Chapel Sky" etc. and i'm wondering which is the most accurate.

The Japanese title is "礼拝堂の空" 
You can also find the title here it's number 28 http://vgmdb.net/album/2947
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Zeila

If you trust the castlevania wiki, then the official name should be Chapel in the Air. If the game has a jukebox, then you could just get it from that

Tobbeh99

Well y, but there is also this guy, who made an extensive thread about the Castlevania series music: http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/979506-konami-classics-vol-1/faqs/25767
and a lot of different names from different sources.

The game has a sound mode with titles but also a soundtrack album with different titles. The titles from the game are more descriptive, like "Entrance - theme of Just Belmont", while the soundtrack has more aesthetic titles such as "Successor of Fate (Theme of Juste Belmont)". I thought of sticking to the soundtrack album as much as possible so that's why I wonder.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Zeila

In that case, it is probably just a matter of personal preference. Just stick to getting names from one of the two for future reference. You could also get an updater's opinion on it when you submit it (or right now)

Trainer Ave

This made me realize I also have an issue with the Fossil Fighters series.
Game #2 is called Super Fossil Fighters in Japan and Fossil Fighters Champions in America
Game #3 is called Fossil Fighters Infinite Gear in Japan and Fossil Fighters Frontier in America
What do I put on my sheets?
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Dudeman

We use the localized titles of games for obvious reasons (cough we're mostly 'murican cough). I mean, you don't see A Link to the Past listed as Triforce of the Gods. Use the American/Western titles unless the game does not have one.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Trainer Ave

YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Altissimo

Quote from: Dudeman on February 10, 2016, 07:51:44 PMUse the American/Western titles unless the game does not have one.

in which case sometimes we use it anyway (see: the fan-name for ace attorney investigations 2) lmao

FireArrow

礼拝堂 = Chapel
空 = sky, air, and empty
の = where things get tricky

"Chapel of Air"
"Empty Chapel"
"Sky Chapel"

I'd go with one of those 3 based on how it appears in game.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Tobbeh99

Thanks FireArrow!

I think I'd go with "Sky Chapel". Empty Chapel makes no sense, since it isn't empty and it has more to do with sky/air. I have rarely seen Chapel in the Air, or anything where the title has to do with "air" so that's why I'm excluding that one as well. Which leaves me with "Sky Chapel".

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

I mean, wouldn't that make it "Chapel of Sky"
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

Well y but "Sky Chapel" and "Chapel of (the) Sky" is pretty much the same thing. "Sky Chapel" meaning a chapel in the sky or a chapel that has anything with sky to do; and Chapel of (the) sky is a chapel in the sky or that belongs to the sky or that has anything with the sky to do. And since "Sky Chapel" is the one I've seen I'm going to stick with that.

Another example would be to compare "Water temple" with "Temple of Water", pretty much the same thing.

10/10 tobbeh

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on February 11, 2016, 11:48:39 AMWell y but "Sky Chapel" and "Chapel of (the) Sky" is pretty much the same thing. "Sky Chapel" meaning a chapel in the sky or a chapel that has anything with sky to do; and Chapel of (the) sky is a chapel in the sky or that belongs to the sky or that has anything with the sky to do. And since "Sky Chapel" is the one I've seen I'm going to stick with that.

Another example would be to compare "Water temple" with "Temple of Water", pretty much the same thing.

except in "temple of water" and "water temple", neither of those cases makes the temple possessive of water.  The characters as explained by FA make "a temple owned by sky" so the sky would call it "this temple of mine" and "sky temple" doesn't really have the connotation of "my temple" like "temple of sky" is supposed to have.  Rather they end up being descriptive qualities of the temple rather than possessive qualities
that probably doesn't change anything though
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

I understand what you mean, that there's a difference. Although I don't think it's important in this case, the thing that makes chose the title "Sky Chapel" is because I have seen it on different track listings, and I have never seen "Chapel of Sky" on any which is why I chose it.

10/10 tobbeh