News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

The NSM Hot Bod Project: Geeks Working Out

Started by braix, May 14, 2016, 03:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

I found this quote a while back and I just want to share it here:
"Don't talk, just act. Don't say, just show. Don't promise, just prove."

Nobody is supporting me on this at all and my parents think I'll quit within the year. I guess I'll just silently prove them wrong ;)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

DrP

^you and me need to go hiking one of these days.

PNW is full of hiking places

FireArrow

Quote from: braixen1264 on May 31, 2016, 08:14:26 PMUpdate:
So I've been doing a lot of studying and I've been feeling super motivated lately.

I'm not sure what you mean by studying, but the internet is horribly unreliable when it comes to nutrition (if you you ever see "low carbs" run for the hills.) If you wanna do this seriously I'd reccomend seeing if your local community college offers a nutrition or "nutrition for athletes" course or maybe just get some good literature (think text books, not "10 essential tips for every bodybuilder.") You can even contact a dietitian.

i know i sound like a nerd but there was literally a question on my nutrition final that asked what the only two reliable sources for information about nutrition are and the answers where "peer reviewed journals and registered dietitians"
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

braix

Most of the "studying" done was for the actual exercising part of it rather than the diet, but I did do some on diet as well because any knowledge felt better than none.
From what I've seen on the internet, I should be getting 16ish calories a day per pound of bodyweight, and around 55% Carbs, 30% Protein, and 15% Fats. I'll see if I can find some good books in the library.
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

FireArrow

I'd use one of those online (sue me) calculators to determine how much calories you need. Also that protein intake is a bit high. Say you ate 2,000 calroies, 30% would be 150 grams of protein which sounds a bit absurd unless you're trying to be a professional body builder.

braix

I see. Do you think 20-25% would work?

FireArrow

Well I just looked at a pamphlet thingy from the American journal of sports medicine and it recommends 10%-35% so uh, I guess you can just keep doing what you're doing until you come across more specific reliable information. 20% should be plenty for your needs imo but I don't really remember protein needs for people buidling muscle so I could be totally wrong.

For reference protein intake for the average Joe is 10-15% or about 40-60g.

mikey

my bod is pretty hot right now, it's pink and tender in most spots
unmotivated

Ruto

So I came back from the trip and I'm going to post up the steps reading from my 3dses for each day...

(Arrived in Venice the late afternoon on 5/16, transportation was mostly walking combined with water taxis)

5/16 8,240
5/17 10,299
5/18 8,539
5/19 8,322
5/20 15,069 (day trip to Padua, Italy and walked the length of the town)
5/21 9,748
5/22 10,200 (traveling by train on this day)
5/23 8,643 (didn't go out much, was recovering from that 8 hour trip)
5/24 19,249
5/25 14,065
5/26 30,984
5/27 11,363 (recovering from yesterday night)
5/28 19,263
5/29 7,982 (went out later today because roommate guy was hungover but chatty and everything closed early)
5/30 3,683 (traveling for 4 hours, bad weather stopped me from going out after)
5/31 13,790 (rain made me go back early, should have worn boots or had some extra socks)
6/1 12,332 (more rain made me go back even earlier, but I actually almost walked the length of a huge park)
6/2 7,253 (only went to the airport today)

Daily average is about 5,000 and that's only when I'm carrying the 3ds. I walk around a lot for class/work but the 3ds is stowed away and those steps taken don't get recorded, but it's probably close to 7,000 on average. I realize walking won't really help lose much weight, but that's not really the goal. I did this to point out the difference in the walking activity of someone (first half of the trip) versus me alone.

Before I get really critical! For the first half of the trip I was with my professor doing school stuff and she said there was a lot of walking. I wanted to see what her idea of a lot of walking was. The results kind of surprised me, even though I was the one who usually asked to stop because my camera bag was hurting my shoulders. I think she says she walks about 10,000 steps a day on average. But my 3ds says that was average! My legs felt totally fine...

The reason I'm complaining:
When I was in a group we could only stop for food once a day, not counting breakfast and that drove me nuts. I was so hungry all the time and being in a place with good food everywhere made it worse D: To top it off, my professor even though she knows almost everything else out there, keeps telling me about goals to lose weight and often says that carbs stuff, but at least she didn't follow through and ate bread in Venice because how the hell can you not eat bread in Italy. I would like to nicely tell her that she should take a nutrition class and just eating less (something she sort of forced me to do during that trip arrgh) won't help with weight loss. Also, a way to recommend real exercise.

I don't do either and it surprises me that I'm able to stay the same weight, but I walk a lot and I'm usually carrying stuff when I do it. My camera equipment is about a tenth of my weight and I carried that all through the trip for example.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Concerto No.20 in D minor

Quote from: braixen1264 on June 11, 2016, 09:59:40 AMI see. Do you think 20-25% would work?

That protein intake is way too high.  The MOST you should be currently consuming is 20%, and that's if you're lifting weights 5 times a week.  I'd shoot for something like 60% carbs, 25% fat, 15% protein. 

mikey

unmotivated

daj

Quote from: braixen1264 on June 11, 2016, 07:33:47 AMI should be getting 16ish calories a day per pound of bodyweight, and around 55% Carbs, 30% Protein, and 15% Fats. I'll see if I can find some good books in the library.

One of the books that helped me a lot was "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy" by Walter C. Willett (might be wrong spelling, but too lazy to check). It goes through the nitty gritties of nutrition in a layman way, with the evidence included, and it also proposes ways to engineer your own awesome diets :)

Give it a shot maybe! It's actually a fun read because the author flames the system really well ^^
Quote from: Concerto No.20 in D minor on June 14, 2016, 05:00:51 PMThat protein intake is way too high.  The MOST you should be currently consuming is 20%, and that's if you're lifting weights 5 times a week.  I'd shoot for something like 60% carbs, 25% fat, 15% protein.

Just happens that I'm in the military haha! ^^ This is considered (close to) the perfect diet plan, would follow this if possible. The other trick is to spam vegetables and have some fruits (2-3 servings) because fibre is awesome and reduces cravings :)

Aaand of course, keep your saturated fat intake low unless clogged arteries are fun. Which they are not.

Concerto No.20 in D minor

One resource that might help you is https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodtracker.aspx  If you're serious about getting into it, you'll need to track everything you eat, preferably with a scale, for a few days, and enter it all into here.  This will give you a moderately detailed look into what you're eating and which nutrients you're getting enough of, and which you need more of/less of.

Nebbles

I found my sneakers, so I can finally get back onto the treadmill.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Jub3r7

i like to run two miles in the morning except i literally never wake up in the morning
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]