News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

DS's Performance Submissions (12/31/16 "Melee Opening")

Started by DS, May 23, 2016, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS

Can this be a thing again? Plz?

Here's my first submission:

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2 - "World 3" by mariolegofan
https://youtu.be/YWcl5YBWUrg

Zeila

It is. Coincidentally, it's also going to be Super Mario Galaxy (1 though)

DS

OK technically the sheet music for this hasn't been approved yet, but when it does (as it's done and I'm just waiting here...)

[WiiU] Star Fox Zero - "Staff Credits 2" by David Sylvester
https://youtu.be/1DAWfksHRsM

Onionleaf

These are super! Love the "crisp" quality of the sound, and great choice of music too. :)

DS

Bump as my Star Fox Zero arrangement got accepted today (yesssss)

JDMEK5

I'm actually supremely impressed with your sound quality. Is the audio a direct feed or is it open air through a mic of some kind?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

DS

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 27, 2016, 09:21:51 PMIs the audio a direct feed or is it open air through a mic of some kind?
I feed the MIDI as I'm recording to the computer and Logic Pro X, and from there I use the the Grandeur from Kontakt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIDsImfF2w as my piano sample. Also, if a few notes are wrong here and there, I could always cheat by fixing up the MIDI a little (I especially had to do that in the SMG vid as if you can see at the 36 second mark, I hit an D# instead of a C#, but that's easy enough to fix :P), as long as it's nothing too drastic.

JDMEK5

Ah I see. Lol careful people don't start calling you a cheater by "digitally remastering" your work :P

I guess I'm just trying to say that not everyone takes to the altering-of-a-performance-by-digital-means-after-the-fact too well from what I've seen before on the interwebs.
But I mean, as long as you're not trying to like make money or anything then all is fair in love and war. That's an impressive program though. I wish I could use logic but I don't have a Mac. X(
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

DS

I mean, I don't try to change it up too much tho, my philosophy is to come up with/learn an arrangement, make sure I can legitimately play it, and if I screw up one or two things in the recording I can live with myself to fix them as I know I can still play it. I wouldn't just make a recording of me hitting random notes and then correcting them to make it look like I'm playing Tschaikovsky's piano concerto no. 1 :P

As far as the software goes, my school is so darn rich they have their own recording studio with recording rooms, drum practice room, dual monitors with double flatscreen TVs overhead, Logic, Reason, Pro Tools, Komplete 10, dat keyboard tho... I basically live in there afterschool

JDMEK5

Quote from: DS on May 28, 2016, 06:07:56 PMI mean, I don't try to change it up too much tho, my philosophy is to come up with/learn an arrangement, make sure I can legitimately play it, and if I screw up one or two things in the recording I can live with myself to fix them as I know I can still play it. I wouldn't just make a recording of me hitting random notes and then correcting them to make it look like I'm playing Tschaikovsky's piano concerto no. 1 :P
Haha for sure. I personally would vouch for the legitimacy of that.

Quote from: DS on May 28, 2016, 06:07:56 PMAs far as the software goes, my school is so darn rich they have their own recording studio with recording rooms, drum practice room, dual monitors with double flatscreen TVs overhead, Logic, Reason, Pro Tools, Komplete 10, dat keyboard tho... I basically live in there afterschool
Holy crap; where's your school? I'm enrolling there now. Idc that I'm in uni I'm going there.

My Arrangements

DS

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 28, 2016, 06:55:12 PMHoly crap; where's your school? I'm enrolling there now. Idc that I'm in uni I'm going there.
You know, generically rich high school on generic shoreline of generic New England in generic beach community, nothing special... oh and then like every computer in our school is a Mac and we bought $30,000 worth of Dell laptops for English classes, but that's no big deal :P

Oh yeah so I have another vid to post! It's the 4-handed "Final Destination" arrangement from SSB Melee by Deku Trombonist:

https://youtu.be/kzWZjtxlpLA

Latios212

Sheesh, your video sound quality is amazing! And nice playing ;)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

DS

So if it weren't for the fact that you can only have 2 sheets up at a time before an update, I would have posted the music for this on the site by now:

https://youtu.be/fOd77maxAKI

Oh well, just gotta be patient...

Bespinben

Oooh! Boss B my fav :D

For future reference, I'd try to cater your reverb settings to match the songs you record. Because this is such a bustling piece with lots of intricate details, flying scales, running bass ostinatos, and whatnot, I'd opt for a little less reverb so as to increase the clarity of the recording and decrease the muddiness of the overall sound. The current parameters of your reverb plugin seem more fitting for a chord-y, arpeggio-y, melody-driven piece like the Staff Credits 2 theme.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

DS

Quote from: Bespinben on June 04, 2016, 04:37:51 PMOooh! Boss B my fav :D

IKR :D

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing about the reverb. The thing is, I kind of use the same project template for all of my piano covers, which is based on this piece which needed a lot of reverb and a soft piano sound:

https://youtu.be/9CXRCKC5OAg

Basically, when I need to do a new piano cover, instead of having to copy-and-paste all my settings, I just create an identical instrument track in Logic and record the new MIDI with that instrument. For the Melee Final Destination one I tried to give it a "harder" sound, but I didn't really like the sound on that too much (seemed too harsh all the time IMO), so for this one I tried doing another epic cover but with the soft piano sound, which did make it muddy especially with two pianos going, both with different damper pedal movements :P However, I also wanted to try to imitate the weird mixing in the original song, especially at the 40 second mark where the orchestra (mainly the brass stabs) sound ridiculously space-y and the synth on top is flat-out dry.

https://youtu.be/0vIcarvtNuo?t=40s

Then again, I only had one 20-minute lunch period to get this song recorded and mixed XD