NSM Sound Utilities [April 2, 2017]

Started by PetrifiedLasagna, June 09, 2016, 10:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 29, 2017, 11:56:51 AMOk, first of all, great job.
2 things I noticed:
#1 - Percussion tracks go straight to piano which sound really strange
#2 - If you go out of the tab for a while when it's still playing the music stops. Going back in causes hilarious results and also slowed it down permanently for me once.

#1 - I definitely want to expand the sound library in the future so that multiple instruments can be played. Drums will probably be the edge case (multiple sounds, on instrument) that will require some planning ahead so that it fits with everything else.

#2 - Yeah, that's been an issue for a while. It's the way that browsers handle inactive tabs. I am going to try and fix this ASAP; hopefully by the end of the week.

PetrifiedLasagna

new update, and new avatar (finally). Hope you enjoy both. :)

HAHAHA! I have done it. I am nearly 100% positive that I have fixed the inactive tab pausing bug. I would like to point out that this also includes leaving the window that the app is in, and it will not redraw the canvas even if it's still visible, so keep that in mind.

PetrifiedLasagna

This update to Virtuoso has once again been brought to you by the power of math. I will spare you the gory details, but let's just say that when I start using paper and a calculator I mean business.

I pretty much just tweaked the sound engine and it has made a huge difference. Not only do notes fade as expected, but chords really pop now making the listening experience that much better.

I also made a nice organ sound with a waveform creator that I made, but that has not been enabled yet. I am going to start amassing a sound library and will add a context menu so that it is possible to control more settings without taking up unnecessary space on the screen. I just can't believe that after all this time Virtuoso is so close to getting its first full release.

TL;DR

Update Virtuoso, math, almost complete.

If anyone is interested in testing themselves for college level math course I can send you the problem that I spent the past few days solving (requires knowledge of logarithms).

Maelstrom

Just curious, what's the largest amount of tracks it can handle? I tried loading in a large midi and it basically rendered it unresponsive.

Also, the lag bug when the tab is no longer open is still in for google chrome for some reason. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

Latios212

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on April 02, 2017, 07:50:21 AMIf anyone is interested in testing themselves for college level math course I can send you the problem that I spent the past few days solving (requires knowledge of logarithms).
Did someone say math??
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 02, 2017, 08:07:27 AMJust curious, what's the largest amount of tracks it can handle? I tried loading in a large midi and it basically rendered it unresponsive.

Also, the lag bug when the tab is no longer open is still in for google chrome for some reason. Sorry I didn't mention this earlier.

I was able to fix the bug in Chrome. For some reason Chrome was going like, "No! No more animation for you!" So basically, it was cutting it off before it could even setup the fallback loop.

There is no max number of tracks. Would you mind sending me the file that's giving you trouble so I can take a look at it? At what stage is it freezing for you (loading, done loading, playing, specific point in midi, etc.)?

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 08:31:39 AMDid someone say math??

Haha, I could PM the problem if you want.

Latios212

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on April 02, 2017, 08:41:06 AMHaha, I could PM the problem if you want.
Yeah, I'd be interested in taking a look!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Mind PM'ing me too? I'd be interested in taking a look (and even if I can't solve it, I'm sure my friends could; they're a lot better at math than I am).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Quote from: PetrifiedLasagna on April 02, 2017, 08:41:06 AMThere is no max number of tracks. Would you mind sending me the file that's giving you trouble so I can take a look at it? At what stage is it freezing for you (loading, done loading, playing, specific point in midi, etc.)?
It just won't play anything when I hit the play button. Unless I reload the page, that transfers over to other files also.
Note: further testing revealed that it was just for this file. Also, I'm not sure it deleted previously uploaded files when new ones are uploaded, because I was able to get it stuck in the processing phase after loading too many.

And the chrome bug is still there for me.

PetrifiedLasagna

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 02, 2017, 09:14:22 AMIt just won't play anything when I hit the play button. Unless I reload the page, that transfers over to other files also.
Note: further testing revealed that it was just for this file. Also, I'm not sure it deleted previously uploaded files when new ones are uploaded, because I was able to get it stuck in the processing phase after loading too many.

And the chrome bug is still there for me.

Thanks! Hang on, I didn't upload the change yet :P, sorry about that.

Edit: It's up now.

PetrifiedLasagna

Okay, just fixed it. This was actually an issue with the channels, since I only had 10 colors set, but there can be up to 16 channels.

Also, the maximum amount of tracks that a midi can have is quite literally 65,535. So the only thing I can do (when the mode is set to color tracks) is make it loop through the colors as it goes through multiples 16. Thanks for pointing out this issue to me Maelstrom.

PetrifiedLasagna

It's been a while since the last update. I am actually working on the site that will host all of these applications. I also want to make it so others can submit their own creations as well. Here is a screenshot of what the site looks like so far (this is offline).

Yes, I drew that lovely picture myself :D