News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Dekkadeci's Compositions

Started by Dekkadeci, June 11, 2016, 09:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekkadeci

Yet another of my fusions of musical forms is my heavy metal piano piece Regressive Form here, which contorts sonata-allegro form into verse-chorus form (including a solo).

Pianist Da Sootopolis

That's nice to listen to (for the most part), but the way you have it written is physically unplayable at many spots in that tempo..
what is shitpost

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on October 05, 2016, 05:11:45 PMThat's nice to listen to (for the most part), but the way you have it written is physically unplayable at many spots in that tempo..
I tested out both the verse and chorus at full speed, and the 16th notes do have to be played closer to a shake than completely accurately. However, the rest of the piece is accurately playable (even if the most difficult remaining parts of the piece are passages like the LH accompaniment in the 4 bars before the repeat). If anything, I'd say that fast octave runs like in The Other Ragtime March are harder, and the corruption of Bonetrousle in The Polka of Your Best Friend is nearly impossible to play.

Dekkadeci

Want a less chordal, easier-to-play piece that still sounds impressive? Try the Tarantella No. 1 in C Minor here! (Warning: I'd say this is still RCM Level 9 or above, but at least it isn't a finger-breaker that's above Level 10.)

Dekkadeci

Want something so easy that it's sight-readable at full speed for once? Then get the Simplicity Rag here! (Like ragtime in general, it's still pretty chord-heavy.)

Dekkadeci

March of the Empire here may not be completely sight-readable at full speed, but it should be impressive-sounding yet relatively easy to play.

Dekkadeci

If you're here to listen to difficult piano music, the Seelie Rag here may just be up your alley!

Dekkadeci

The Jazz section of the OP is finally open with this piece, Took 5 to the Wing! ...Yeah, it sounds like Ridley and Meta Knight's themes.

Dekkadeci

Today, I published my earliest composition I'm willing to release, The Abyss. It's short, it uses a lot of pedal, it's easy to play, and it can sound quite beautiful...

Dekkadeci

The Alpha Bravo Foxtrot here is close in feel to a quickstep and goes for a (slightly) military mood.

Dekkadeci

Ragtime Evening here is rather like a serenade in ragtime. It's highly influenced by old-style rags, especially Scott Joplin's.

Brassman388

AmpharosAndy

I love a good bit of ragtime :D I started out composing by doing loads of rags! My favourite that I've listened to is the Simplicity Rag and - controversially due to the whole point - I think it could be even better if it were a tad less simple XD I know how silly that sounds... Just a bit more left hand activity wouldn't go amiss.
innit

AmpharosAndy

I'm going to give some tips for a couple of moments in Ragtime Evening that could be improved in order to make it even better. I really like this piece and it's something I'm considering learning, which is why I'd like to address a couple o' things. The big blobs of text may look daunting but I'm just helping out :)

Bar 7 falls flat because there's no change in harmony and not much is happening - you could change the bottom B to an A to add the minor 7th flavour, as I have shown below (highlighted in blue)
Spoiler
[close]

Bar 10 is also static after the melody stops, which is fine because the melody needs a break - however the accompaniment needs to be more interesting to make up for it. Quick example below using different textures and some chromatic falling parts.
Spoiler
[close]

Bar 12 sees the end of the phrase and a triplet rhythm in the melody. This rhythm is a little unusual in relation to what has been happening so far and seems out of place, to me - I've rejigged it so that the resolution onto the top D is delayed and therefore keeps the momentum going for a chromatic fall to the first note of the melody. (This is just a quick example and I'm aware you couldn't do this due to the repeat) I've also experimented with a more excited bassline underneath the static chords when the melody restarts, which is in the picture too.
Spoiler
[close]

Just a general comment on ragtimes: avoid using the same striding left hand accompaniment more than three times in a row, which you have done, mostly. There's a lot of differing left hand activity in this piece so it isn't much of an issue - Always break it up with what I call rundowns/runups on the fourth chord: example bar 49
Spoiler
[close]

Feel free to rant about my stuff back if you feel I'm being mean XD Hopefully it's not come across that way!

innit

Dekkadeci

No patience for long pieces of classical music? A Sonata-Allegro in Under 2 Minutes is exactly as its title says!