News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Dekkadeci's Compositions

Started by Dekkadeci, June 11, 2016, 09:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekkadeci

Interested in some of my earliest compositions? Turns out that, even in Grade 5 or 6, I was aware of musical forms in Rocket Piece No. 1 and Rocket Piece No. 2.

AmpharosAndy

I'm guessing that's around year 6/7 then....?

They're actually very good for that age. I like 'em! Especially number 2, catchy stuff. I can see a kind of relation to the stuff you're doing now as well :D
innit

Dekkadeci

Just finished one of my works that I started years ago--the Etude-Coronation March in G Major here! ...Yeah, I'm no longer enamoured with filling a musical section with transposed versions of the same theme, unlike what you'll hear in this piece...

Dekkadeci

I've composed another polka, for fans of that genre and of fast classical music--it's the Going Distances Polka!

Dekkadeci

If you want some insight on how I tend to improvise hummed tunes on the spot, check out the first 17 bars of 10 Minutes' Worth of Stressful Racetrack! I decided to improvise in the style of a F-Zero-like racetrack theme for this piece, which I had only 10 minutes to compose. The rest of the bars were rather copy-and-paste.

AmpharosAndy

Wow that's pretty good for 10 minutes! Very catchy and definitely F-Zero like. I don't know if I'd be able to do anything like that in such a short space of time. Do you plan to do something with it now or just leave it as it is?
innit

Dekkadeci

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on May 01, 2017, 02:13:27 PMWow that's pretty good for 10 minutes! Very catchy and definitely F-Zero like. I don't know if I'd be able to do anything like that in such a short space of time. Do you plan to do something with it now or just leave it as it is?
I'm planning on leaving it as-is right now.

On the other hand, with this new 10-minutes'-worth-of-work-for-a-contest, Drum Solo Time!, I've finally gotten enough inspiration to start actively composing one of my kookier ideas.

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dekkadeci

I've now published the piece I referred to in this quote:
Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 04, 2017, 06:53:20 PM<snip> I've finally gotten enough inspiration to start actively composing one of my kookier ideas.

That kooky idea is a sonata-allegro with an atonal first theme group and a tonal, major-key second theme group that behaves as if the entire sonata-allegro is more conventional and in a major key--Avant-Garde Sonata-Allegro! ...So I'm bad enough at composing atonal music that I figured I may as well stick to drum kit for it...

Dekkadeci

Want relaxing jazz? Want something that took me roughly half an hour to compose? Here's Relaxing Jazz for all those needs!

AmpharosAndy

The Avant-Garde Sonata-Allegro is probably the best piece of yours I've heard so far! Lots of interesting rhythms and interesting harmonic moments. I would love to hear this performed at some point :)

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 08, 2017, 07:17:59 PMSo I'm bad enough at composing atonal music that I figured I may as well stick to drum kit for it...
I'd think that your strong classical influences would make atonal writing easier? All that structure and planning etc.

As for the relaxing jazz, the cello strikes me as an unusual choice especially because of the lack of activity in the sax and trumpet parts. Why not throw that melody on one of those? The held notes in the trumpet aren't necessary with the held piano chords + they'd be too distracting/overpowering. Very good for half an hour, though! Keep it up :D
innit

Dekkadeci

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on May 13, 2017, 08:43:46 AMI'd think that your strong classical influences would make atonal writing easier? All that structure and planning etc.
I keep fretting that even the most atonal chord progressions I use can be interpreted tonally (I've tried writing 12-tone rows with tonal implications, and IMO, it's shockingly easy).

Anyway, here's my newest piece-I-composed-in-10-minutes-for-a-contest:

On This Side of Death's Shores
This is a slow, quiet, and sad piano piece, meant to sound much better with a mellow piano soundfont than Musescore's default brilliant one. I'll probably end up using a similar basis for a future piece, "On the Other Side of Death's Shores".

Putting the custom soundfont on the Musescore website version (for easier judging) took way too long and forced me to make a YouTube account. Should I leave my YouTube account in a dusty corner or put more of my stuff on it?

AmpharosAndy

Gah! All these 10 minute compositions make me want to do it XD I guess I'm doing a few of those today ;)

I really like the custom soundfont, though. Sounds way better to me.
innit

Dekkadeci

Want a piece you can play in a large variety of tempos for once? Try one of my earlier pieces, Etude in G Minor ("Arpeggio")! Beware--it's one of my earlier ones, and I'm fairly sure I composed it before I went to university.

AmpharosAndy

It's a very clever little piece, certainly good for teaching early piano (assuming you're doing it slowly haha). I'm making it sound like I'm a piano teacher, which I assure you I am not.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 03, 2017, 02:37:40 PMI'm fairly sure I composed it before I went to university.
Did you study composition? (if I may ask, no is very reasonable)
innit