News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Dekkadeci's Compositions

Started by Dekkadeci, June 11, 2016, 09:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekkadeci

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on June 03, 2017, 04:02:33 PMDid you study composition? (if I may ask, no is very reasonable)
I never formally studied composition with a teacher. One of my piano teachers did try to teach me some composition when I was in Grade 5 (I wrote my very first composition then--it's far too simple for me to publish anywhere, IMO). I think the closest I got was when I took a cool "composition" class in Grade 10, but I don't recall its teacher ever giving composition tips. All I remember was being given assignments and working with GarageBand and a DAW.

Ironically, I think I learned the most about composition from my Royal Conservatory of Music (it's a Canada thing) Harmony and History lessons. I learned about classical music forms and acceptable chord progressions in most classical music, and I still apply those lessons today.

I think I'm self-taught in regards to composing in any genre other than classical. I probably learned about jazz musical forms and harmonies by osmosis in school jazz bands (and probably likewise for concert band musical forms and common chord progressions and rhythmic patterns in concert band music from playing in school bands--let's just say they're very inconsistent), but I learned everything about composing rock/pop/heavy metal/video game music by listening to the radio, playing video games, and seeking out example songs myself.

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 03, 2017, 10:02:31 PMacceptable chord progressions
wth are those? lol

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 03, 2017, 10:02:31 PMRoyal Conservatory of Music (it's a Canada thing)
I would've thought it'd be called a Conservatoire as you're more french than we are. That's what us english folk call 'em.

Funky biznu. I can see how your style is the way it is.
innit

Dekkadeci

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on June 04, 2017, 01:24:36 AM
Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 03, 2017, 10:02:31 PMacceptable chord progressions
wth are those? lol
Among other things, my Royal Conservatory of Music Harmony lessons taught me that V-I is an acceptable authentic cadence, so is vii°7-I, and V-iv6 is a barely acceptable deceptive cadence, but ♭II-i, i-#IV, and French augmented 6th-♭VII are unacceptable chord progressions, period (at least for the "19th-century common practice period"). The 20th century and later seem determined to make more chord progressions acceptable, at least from the pieces I've listened to (I've even heard orchestral video game music sneak in unusual chord progressions those harmony lessons would definitely have rejected).

Dekkadeci

Just released my Impromptu-Scherzo in G Minor. It sounds a lot like classical music even though it's in quintuple meter...don't you think?

Dekkadeci

Remember my older piece, Regressive Form? Well, now I've finally made a version of it that's for heavy metal band for once! You can find it here. Yeah, it's for a Musescore rearrangement contest, but I figured it was about time this piece got the instrumentation it deserved.

Dekkadeci

I've released a new boss theme piece--Fight As If They're Monsters! ...You're probably fighting people to this, though.

Dekkadeci

10-minute composition challenges are back!

I had to compose a 100-bar long piece in 10 minutes this time, so I composed this: Synth Scherzando

I seem to be influenced by a lot of composers; this piece sounds like Felix Mendelssohn in particular....

Dekkadeci

Like fast dances? The Slavs did, too! Furiant No. 1 in G Minor is a piece I've just published that's meant to be an example of that fiery, hemiola-filled Slavic dance of old, the furiant.

Dekkadeci

How many movements do you bet my latest work is? Sonata-Allegro in F Minor ("Complexity Within") is a continuous sonata-allegro, sure enough, but it does manage to fit an entire scherzo and trio inside...which is fittingly based on the rest of the piece.

Dekkadeci

Like major-key, happy marches? Listen to this March in F Major!

Dekkadeci

Ever wondered how far you can go with some of ragtime's more mechanical tendencies? With the Thopter Foundry Rag, you'll find out! (Yeah, the title is a Magic: The Gathering reference.)

AmpharosAndy

I love the second section of the rag! It's so cheeky and witty :D
innit

Dekkadeci

Wondering how much my old and new composition styles may clash? If so, you'll be interested in my newest composition, Puck, Hobgoblin! I composed the outer sections several years ago and the inner section this week.

Dekkadeci

Like tarantellas? Want to see how well I can pull off improvised introductions? Want some insight into what my improvised tunes sound like? Go listen to my Tarantella No. 2 in E Minor!

Dekkadeci

Like cheerful Classical preludes? (OK, this might be more Baroque or Romantic in style.) Then listen to my newest work, Prelude in C Major!