Dekkadeci's VGM Piano Transcriptions: Illusion (F-Zero: GP Legend)

Started by Dekkadeci, June 12, 2016, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Dudeman on December 07, 2018, 10:35:53 PMDoes this help?
Sadly, it doesn't: all it's got is the "opening bar" version of the introduction and an amusing rendition of "What Is Love" overlaid on top in the latter parts. (I believe the memer has a point: "What Is Love" is in G minor, which meshes well with the strong D major chord use of the Square Dance taunt.)

What I'd really love is a YouTube video with this, hopefully not obscured by the voices of Team Fortress 2 characters: https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/8/8f/Fortress_reel_loop2.wav

Libera

I don't really know anything about TF2 so I can't be much help, but I can say that you definitely wouldn't have to submit each of these separately.  They would be totally fine as one sheet under subtitles.

Dekkadeci

Yeah, I think I need help for this one:

My transcription of "Sullied Grace" from Kirby: Triple Deluxe:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/5372296

Kirby: Triple Deluxe

This piece is so percussion-heavy that I transcribed loads of drum beats as piano notes this round. I no doubt mucked around with the accompaniment in the process, especially its octave voicing...and I may have changed the octave voicing of some of the melody and top parts. I also may have simplified that distinctive electric guitar riff at the last tempo change (and passages like it).

I'm the most uncertain about the left-hand notes of Bars 65-88 and the right-hand notes of Bars 127-133. In particular, I sometimes hear different notes for the last four 16th notes of Bar 131.

I'm also not 100% certain about the lowest organ notes of Bar 14 and some of the left-hand notes in Bars 49-64.

I realize the tremolos in Bars 111-126 are nearly unplayable, but you don't have to play them that fast: I personally can only play 16th-note triplets there at fastest.

And the 3-voice right hand parts of Bars 17-24 and Bars 49-64 are a mess--anyone got better ways to format them?

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

Quote from: Dekkadeci on December 29, 2018, 04:49:36 PMAnd the 3-voice right hand parts of Bars 17-24 and Bars 49-64 are a mess--anyone got better ways to format them?

This is one of those places where I would condense some voices together for playability and readability.  For example, in bar 17 the semibreve could be changed to make a dyad dotted minim with the A which would mean there were only two voices.  Another example would be bar 20 you could just cut the D from the chord altogether since it's in the second voice (and restruck again later) so it'll sound pretty much the same but without looking as strange.  So yeah, I'd just recommend going through that section and trying to remove voices where it looks janky by incorporating them into other voices where possible.  You should be able to write that entire section out with only two voices after doing that I think.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Libera on December 30, 2018, 04:02:56 AMThis is one of those places where I would condense some voices together for playability and readability.  For example, in bar 17 the semibreve could be changed to make a dyad dotted minim with the A which would mean there were only two voices.  Another example would be bar 20 you could just cut the D from the chord altogether since it's in the second voice (and restruck again later) so it'll sound pretty much the same but without looking as strange.  So yeah, I'd just recommend going through that section and trying to remove voices where it looks janky by incorporating them into other voices where possible.  You should be able to write that entire section out with only two voices after doing that I think.
I took your suggestions and successfully managed to condense the right-hand parts of Bars 17-24 and Bars 49-64 to two voices.

Dekkadeci

This time, I don't need help!

My transcription of "Classical/Tilting at Windmills" from The Incredible Machine:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/5458858

The Incredible Machine (MIDI)
(Starts at 6:37)

The Incredible Machine (CD)

My transcription is based on both the MIDI and CD versions. The MIDI version is available in http://www.mirsoft.info/wogm_download.php?data=YToyOntpOjA7czo1OiIxMzM1OCI7aToxO2k6MTU1MDgwMzE5NDt9 ...and yeah, I ripped the notes from the MIDI file, tried to not have notes overlap or generate unplayable chords, and checked them against the CD version. While I mainly based this transcription on the MIDI version, I respect the lack of piano notes in the CD version in the starts of Bars 12, 14, and 16, and I made the G# optional in Bar 14 because it appears in the MIDI version but is a nicer-sounding G in the CD version. I also left off articulations from the first right-hand note of Bar 4 because that note is staccato in the MIDI version but legato in the CD version.

Note that the trills are for both half notes in the right hand.

Dekkadeci

Back to needing help:

My transcription of "Battle of Oblivion" from Bravely Second:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/5490355

Bravely Second

Again, this piece is so percussion-heavy that I transcribed loads of drum beats as piano notes this round. I no doubt mucked around with the accompaniment in the process, especially its octave voicing.

I had a hard time hearing the bassline of Bars 23 and 69, the last eighth note in the bass of Bars 32 and 78, the last eighth note in the right hand of Bars 42 and 88, and the precise drum rhythms of Bars 33-36 and Bars 79-82. Anyone think they need to be fixed?

Except for the grace note in Bar 92, I simplified away the slides and grace note tendencies of Bars 89-112. I don't tend to sing any of them whenever I sing this theme, anyway.

I tried hard to eliminate collided notes this round (the staccato notes in Bars 20 and 66 are to ensure those notes don't actually collide with the right hand). Let me know if I missed any!

Also, the playback of the trill in Bars 59-61 is bugged, I swear.

Dekkadeci

So I doubt you've heard of the game Monolith, but I think I need a bit of help with this piano transcription:

My transcription of "The Trial" from Monolith:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/5653049

Monolith

This piece is quite percussion-heavy, so I transcribed several of the drum beats as piano notes in Bars 9-24.

I'm quite uncertain about the precise rhythms of the Beat 2s of Bars 1-8 and the last left-hand note of Bar 4.

(Sheesh, I think a circa-30-second song with not much harmonies and an easy-to-ignore arpeggio line should be easy, but then it throws curveballs at me....)

Dekkadeci

This is definitely one of my least faithful piano transcriptions yet:

My transcription of "Dream Chaser" from F-Zero Climax:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/5815725

F-Zero Climax

I needed to move its prominent arpeggiated accompaniment an octave or two down throughout to prevent it from interfering with the melody and to let the left hand hit the bass accompaniment notes. Even then, I severely foreshortened the bass accompaniment notes throughout. I adjusted the left hand in Bars 1-10 to make it sound better (and make it be easier to play) than straight 16th notes or 8th notes. I added some notes corresponding to drum beats. And I even had to discard a prominent high note in Bar 60 because the right hand cannot play it while playing its electric guitar line! I might have mucked up the last 2-4 left-hand notes in Bar 8, and my transcription of the left-hand pitch bend in Bar 44 might not be all that accurate.

Hopefully, this piano transcription still sounds fine! And yes, the F-Zero Climax version of "Dream Chaser" has some different musical material from both the F-Zero X and F-Zero GP Legend versions.

Static

Thanks for doing an F-Zero track from one of the GBA games. It's so rare to see these unfortunately.
Anyway, solid arrangement! It's definitely fine to leave out those extra parts if they make the arrangement unwieldy, since after all this is meant to be performed and not just listened to on a computer.

Dekkadeci

I think I'll need help with this piano transcription, too:

My transcription of "Ex Machina, Part 1" from Monolith:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/6262561

Monolith

Note that "Ex Machina, Part 1" is listenable on its own in-game, but only a fusion of all 3 themes for its final boss, named "Ex Machina", is in the OST.

I'm really uncertain about all the right-hand chords in this transcription. Their top notes are fine, but I had a hard time with everything below them. Did I miss any notes or add the wrong ones?

The pitch bend in the right hand of the first half of Bar 9 may not be all that accurate, either.

Dekkadeci

Yeah, I need help with my latest transcription again:

My transcription of "Face to Face" from Iji:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/6873305

Iji
(Higher quality)
(Notably does not drop in volume at the end)

This theme uses a lot of distorted electric guitars, and I swear the high chromatic notes in this theme are microtonal. (All those high notes in Bars 2-17 and Bars 55-71 are dodgy.) I therefore had quite a lot of trouble transcribing this theme period. In particular, I had extreme trouble with the accompaniment of Bar 33 and Bar 104 (to the point where I may have made up the middle left-hand notes), I may have transcribed the right-hand E flats and D's wrong in Bars 46-53 along with the last right-hand quarter note in Bar 50, the higher left-hand accompaniment notes in Bars 2-28 and Bars 54-63 are dodgy, the right-hand single notes in Bars 22-24 and Bars 39-40 are very dodgy, and all the small notes are dodgy.

In the meantime, I may have moved around the octave voicings of some notes, I ignored nearly all the pitch bends, I notably left out a prominent inner voice in Bars 106-107 (and a bunch of other single notes) because those notes were hard to reach while playing the existing parts, I ditched any power chords that would have been in the middle of left-hand accompaniment octaves because they plain didn't sound any good - neither in Musescore nor on my actual physical piano - and I definitely inserted a lot of notes corresponding to drum beats. ...I actually did forgo adding notes for drum beats in some places, though, where the right hand already carries enough momentum.

Dekkadeci

Why do I keep transcribing music I find I need help with later?

My transcription of "Multi-Man Melee 1" from Super Smash Bros. Melee:
https://musescore.com/user/9996931/scores/6882325

Super Smash Bros. Melee

So I thought that, just like with "Face to Face", I could transcribe both hands by ear; therefore, this was achievable. Oh boy, did the right hand of Bars 40-54 shake my faith in that.

I passed on transcribing the quietest lines. I probably simplified the right hand of Bars 40-54 or otherwise got them mildly wrong. I may have gotten lower dyad/chord contents wrong. I may have gotten octave voicings wrong. I didn't bother transcribing nearly all of the pitch bends. I probably skipped a lower inner line or two. I definitely simplified the right hand of Bars 15-18 and likely Bars 23-26. The chromatic slide in Bar 10 is an approximation, as are the second half of Bar 2 and every single 32nd-note passage. I notated some places with falls because what's actually there is far too complex and filled with pitch bends, but at least it generally goes down.

Zeila

In the future it would be more convenient if you provided a .mscz or .musicxml file, but if you would rather not then that's ok

• It would be nice to include double barlines before key signature changes
  • m1-2 LH there are low F#'s playing here
  • m15/23 RH beat 4.5 lower note sounds like C
  • m16/24 RH beat 2.5 lower note sounds like Eb; beat 4.5 lower note sounds like C
  • m17 RH beat 2.5 lower note sounds like Ab; beat 4.5 lower note sounds like G
  • m18 I'm not sure if the 32nd notes really add much, but if you still want to keep that in then you should flip the stems and raise the half rest up to it's default position
  • m20 I'd personally write the fall as a gliss extending to beat 1 of measure 21
  • m25 RH beat 2.5 lower note sounds like Eb; beat 3 I think it would be better to change the D to C
  • m31 RH I don't think this is feasibly playable
  • m35-38 LH I think it would be nice if you wrote out the guitar rhythm for one of the A's while keeping the other sustained
  • m43-46/51-54 LH why did you exclude the 5ths here?