Main Menu

Key Signature for Modes?

Started by Tobbeh99, July 03, 2016, 07:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

FA's example ignores the second.  Just checks the third
unmotivated

Altissimo

Quote from: JDMEK5 on July 21, 2016, 02:10:22 PMThat's problematic word usage but I get the point. :P

I agree but I'm also talking like what the """official""" terminology seems to thinks is the case :p

FireArrow

I don't know if it's the "official" way to do to it, but as far as I'm concerned if the tonic chord is minor (third lowered) then the key signature is minor.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Dekkadeci

Quote from: FireArrow on July 23, 2016, 01:33:55 PMI don't know if it's the "official" way to do to it, but as far as I'm concerned if the tonic chord is minor (third lowered) then the key signature is minor.
I agree nearly all the time, but I have heard of some pretty corner cases:

Mario Circuit, Mario Kart Double Dash
Spoiler
[close]
If the song fluctuates between a minor and major tonic chord, I generally listen for which chord dominates in cadences. In this case, I go with C major.

Wicked Thing, Bravely Default
Spoiler
[close]
Until 0:45-0:55 (which is in B minor), the song sounds like it's constantly soloing on the dominant (V chord) of C# minor. You can make some good arguments that the tonic chord is actually a G# major chord and that the true scale used is Phrygian dominant-like. Despite that, I'd assign most of the song a C# minor key signature.

Arena Theme, Kirby Super Star
Spoiler
[close]
For the longest time, I was convinced that the song was in A minor (probably because of the strong use of chords associated with A minor). However, once I started playing it on piano, I was playing far too many A major chords. I'm not sure whether I should use an A major, A minor, or even D minor key signature.
Contrast: True Arena Theme, Kirby Super Star Ultra
In contrast, the True Arena theme from Kirby Super Star Ultra is firmly in A minor, despite being clearly based on the Arena theme above. ...Though perhaps sharing a soundfont and rhythmic motives with Galacta Knight's theme pushes the True Arena theme towards A minor.
[close]

Olimar12345

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 21, 2016, 02:11:37 PMFA's example ignores the second.  Just checks the third

It also ignores the fourth, sixth, seventh, etc. lol, but it's still a more useful method to use than the later. (See my quoted post on age 1).
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FireArrow

I can't really comment on the second example since it would take a bit more time to analyze and I just kinda wanna go off of what you wrote.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 23, 2016, 01:58:35 PMMario Circuit, Mario Kart Double Dash
Spoiler
[close]
If the song fluctuates between a minor and major tonic chord, I generally listen for which chord dominates in cadences. In this case, I go with C major.

Then it modulates. I'd go with whatever key signature it starts/ends in if you don't wanna show the key changes (which you usually don't.)

QuoteArena Theme, Kirby Super Star
Spoiler
[close]
For the longest time, I was convinced that the song was in A minor (probably because of the strong use of chords associated with A minor). However, once I started playing it on piano, I was playing far too many A major chords. I'm not sure whether I should use an A major, A minor, or even D minor key signature.
Contrast: True Arena Theme, Kirby Super Star Ultra
In contrast, the True Arena theme from Kirby Super Star Ultra is firmly in A minor, despite being clearly based on the Arena theme above. ...Though perhaps sharing a soundfont and rhythmic motives with Galacta Knight's theme pushes the True Arena theme towards A minor.
[close]

I should of been more specific with my example. You check whether or not the third is lowered when it's playing the tonic chord. In this case you'd use A major. Check out the foster's home for imaginary friends theme song, using a major tonic with a minor scale isn't too uncommon.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department