Game: The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Boss
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Starfury

[attachment deleted by admin]

Starfury

Pianist Da Sootopolis

I'm limited on time, so I have to keep this brief. Real quickly, though, I'll run down what I'm noticing right off the bat.
Formatting:
You've got a lot of margin space, especially under tempo marks and your arranger name.
Also, please standardize how many measures you have per system. It's a little clunky at the moment.
M. 10: Leggero (and by which I assume you mean leggiero) isn't a tempo marking, or at least not without an MM attached. As such, instead of a bold text above staff, use an expression tool between the staves.
Looks solid insofar as note accuracy is concerned, though. Good work!
what is shitpost

Starfury

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on May 18, 2016, 04:24:34 PMI'm limited on time, so I have to keep this brief. Real quickly, though, I'll run down what I'm noticing right off the bat.

Thank you for the advice. I have updated the files after having applied your comments. Let me know if you run into anything. Have a good day.

Zeila

Cool
  • Quote from: mastersuperfan on December 29, 2015, 11:43:21 AMStarts in C minor and goes to F minor.
  • Slur the grace note
  • You're missing a note and added an extra one in m18 (the first two beats are just eighths). It should be identical to m24 once fixed
  • m21 sixteenth note sounds wrong. Also it sounds like the C plays til the end of the measure instead of stopping at beat 4
  • You could add octaves as there are some from m28-31, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary
  • I think using two layers in m34 fits it better (RH) whether it be a quarter or whole note
  • Some of the chords from m32-39 are wrong, but definitely the last two
  • The slur inside the slur at m33 might not be necessary
  • I think piano is too soft at m51, but if you're going to keep it, then perhaps put subito piano?
Also, here's another youtube video with the normal length instead of an extended version

Starfury

Quote from: Zeila on May 19, 2016, 10:07:48 PMCool
1) What does that quote stating the C minor to F minor mean?
2) Added slur to the grace, however it is incredibly hard to see.
3) m18 and m24 are identical already. Adding the very legato repeated eighth on beat 1 sounds a little strange, and beat 2 contains inflection going beyond quavers.
4) The sixteenth, or rather some fast inflection, is indeed right or at least present. The C plays until the upbeat of beat 4 so I made that change.
5) I will keep the lower octave out.
6) Adding layers in RH bar 34 just to add length to the held Bb makes it look messy and is not playable past a quarter so I don't see any need in it.
7) I assure you the chords are not wrong. 2 bars of Abmaj7, 2 of Ebmaj7/G, 2 more on the IV, 1 more on the Eb/G which is the 2 to the 5 that is the last chord, being C7 with inflections from Cm serving as the leading tone to the new VI chord in F minor, Dbmaj7 in bar 40.
8 ) The slur over 32 and 33 suggests a musical phrase, while the slur over the quaver and semiquavers in 33 signifies a smooth transition between quick moving notes within a phrase. I can change it if it is a problem.
9) I will change the piano. I understand that the percussion in the orchestra is not playing "piano", I just think that the effect is null on a piano unless amplified, or rather in this case diminished. Either way, I changed it to mp and added the fitting subito marking.

I did not post that one for the "official" title of the song is wrong, and I didn't want any title Nazi's to raise questions. Thank you for all the advice. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Zeila

Quote from: Starfury on May 20, 2016, 10:10:05 PM1) What does that quote stating the C minor to F minor mean?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, that's what the key sig should be according to him (msf)

Quote from: Starfury on May 20, 2016, 10:10:05 PM3) m18 and m24 are identical already. Adding the very legato repeated eighth on beat 1 sounds a little strange, and beat 2 contains inflection going beyond quavers.
I meant that once you fix it, you should fix the next one as well. I do agree with you though about the beat 1 part. I don't hear what you are talking about though but I guess it's your call then (or someone else can chime in on that)

Quote from: Starfury on May 20, 2016, 10:10:05 PM4) The sixteenth, or rather some fast inflection, is indeed right or at least present. The C plays until the upbeat of beat 4 so I made that change.
I know it is there, but it sounds like a different note imo (I can't tell which one exactly, though)

Quote from: Starfury on May 20, 2016, 10:10:05 PM7) I assure you the chords are not wrong. 2 bars of Abmaj7, 2 of Ebmaj7/G, 2 more on the IV, 1 more on the Eb/G which is the 2 to the 5 that is the last chord, being C7 with inflections from Cm serving as the leading tone to the new VI chord in F minor, Dbmaj7 in bar 40.
Then perhaps the notes you chose out of those chords just sound odd then (for the last measure) even though they are actually there. I think it would fit better if you put a Bb below the D in m38, and a G below the Enat in m39

Quote from: Starfury on May 20, 2016, 10:10:05 PM8 ) The slur over 32 and 33 suggests a musical phrase, while the slur over the quaver and semiquavers in 33 signifies a smooth transition between quick moving notes within a phrase. I can change it if it is a problem.
That's fine for me

Quote from: Starfury on May 20, 2016, 10:10:05 PMI did not post that one for the "official" title of the song is wrong, and I didn't want any title Nazi's to raise questions. Thank you for all the advice. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
lol, np!

Maelstrom

This is superb.
Just a suggestion:
Have you thought about notation those... idk what to call them... "not trills" as mordants, like in m18? It'd clean up a bit of space.
I'm not sure why, but there are a bunch of out of place Pno. markings in the middle of the music on the .mus, but not in the PDF.
Excellent sub, btw.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

Fix the enharmonic spellings in m. 14-17. Keep the interval relationships intact. A Gb and B is a parallel 4th, so it should be spelled Gb and Cb.

Other than that, fantastic job.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Bespinben.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot