[GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - "Professor Frankly's Theme" by Jegilmer

Started by Zeta, July 11, 2016, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Professor Frankly's Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Jegilmer

[attachment deleted by admin]

jegilmer

Hey guys, this is the last arrangement from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door that I have done. I know it will need some work, this is a tougher one. I use Sibelius 6, so my finale files are messy because it is imported XML--Sorry!

Sebastian

Sebastian

Ugh, sorry about the wait. I've been super busy with other stuff. I plan on getting to this arrangement today.

jegilmer

Sebastian

*A wild SeaBass appears!*

Here ya go:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn9wttbi26m4pzh/Prof.%20Franky%27s%20Theme.mus?dl=1

Now, this song is a PAIN. Very challenging accidentals, hard key sig (I don't even know if I got it right), and hard to hear notes. This one will definitely need a look by an accidental expert. I checked and put down all the correct notes, and simplified it in some sections. Accidentals is the bear in this sheet.

Nice work!

*Professor Frankly's Theme fainted!*

jegilmer

Haha thanks! Yep, that's why I saved this one for my last Paper Mario: TTYD submission (at least for now). I'll take a look at it to see if I can figure out the key.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Some things to change:

- Tempo mark should be vertically aligned with the time signature
- Your staff sizes are huge, and the space between them is such that we could put this arrangement comfortably on 2 pages. I know you can't do that, so don't fault yourself.
- Note spacing is uneven in several places. I'll take care of this one for you since there's a tool to do it in the full version of Finale, but in the future, you can just copy and paste the notes back in and it should fix itself.
- Bars per system: again, I'm sure you can't do this, but just so you know for the future what to ask for in terms of fixes, try to have the same number of bars on each system.
- Measures 7 and 8: most of these intervals are unplayable, especially the F triple octave. If you want to try to distribute them between the hands, you might be able to manage it, but otherwise just get rid of the superfluous notes.
- Personal thing; I'd get rid of the different dynamics. I get that you want the melody (LH) louder than the RH accompaniment, but this concept (dynamic balance between hands/parts) is a standard piece of interpretation of most music in general. Better, IMO, is not to clutter the score with the markings. That's just a personal preference thing, though, so keep it if you'd like :)

I'll update shortly with the fixes you can't do yourself.

EDIT: Here's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeu80i42msc7okq/Paper%20Mario--The%20Thousand-Year%20Door%20-%20Professor%20Frankly%27s%20Theme%20MUS.mus?dl=0
what is shitpost

Sebastian

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 21, 2016, 02:28:49 PMSome things to change:

- Tempo mark should be vertically aligned with the time signature
- Your staff sizes are huge, and the space between them is such that we could put this arrangement comfortably on 2 pages. I know you can't do that, so don't fault yourself.
- Note spacing is uneven in several places. I'll take care of this one for you since there's a tool to do it in the full version of Finale, but in the future, you can just copy and paste the notes back in and it should fix itself.
- Bars per system: again, I'm sure you can't do this, but just so you know for the future what to ask for in terms of fixes, try to have the same number of bars on each system.
- Measures 7 and 8: most of these intervals are unplayable, especially the F triple octave. If you want to try to distribute them between the hands, you might be able to manage it, but otherwise just get rid of the superfluous notes.
- Personal thing; I'd get rid of the different dynamics. I get that you want the melody (LH) louder than the RH accompaniment, but this concept (dynamic balance between hands/parts) is a standard piece of interpretation of most music in general. Better, IMO, is not to clutter the score with the markings. That's just a personal preference thing, though, so keep it if you'd like :)

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zeu80i42msc7okq/Paper%20Mario--The%20Thousand-Year%20Door%20-%20Professor%20Frankly%27s%20Theme%20MUS.mus?dl=0
Thanks for the feedback, PDS! But I actually got all this stuff already haha:

Quote from: Sebastian on August 19, 2016, 10:56:58 AMHere ya go:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn9wttbi26m4pzh/Prof.%20Franky%27s%20Theme.mus?dl=1

Quote from: jegilmer on August 21, 2016, 02:13:49 PMHaha thanks! Yep, that's why I saved this one for my last Paper Mario: TTYD submission (at least for now). I'll take a look at it to see if I can figure out the key.
No problem! We'll see what the others say about the accidentals/key signature.

jegilmer

Bespinben

I mean, it sounds dandy and all, but... this?

I mean this as nicely as I can, but please, NinSheetMusic, not NinPlayerPiano.

(8/24/16) EDIT: Sebastian's version fixes this issue, so if you update the files with his revision, that would work.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

jegilmer

Yes, sorry about that. This was one of my first arrangements, and at the time I wasn't sure if the goal was to make the sheet music as accurate to the original as possible (same exact octaves and everything), or if it was alright to move the notes around to make it possible to perform.  ::)

Even though it is obvious to me now that it should be performable since it isn't a full score or anything like that...
Regardless, I should've checked it over again before submitting it.

Maelstrom

Sebastian