The Official Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Project

Started by Latios212, July 16, 2016, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Quote from: Static on July 30, 2019, 01:41:36 PM
Contest: Results Announcement (Duet) - FireArrow
  • The title should be changed to (Four Hands) instead of (Duet), and instead of Piano 1 and 2 in the sheet, it should be Primo and Secondo.
  • The C# in m6 of Primo LH should be a Db (descending chromatic scale).
[close]
Fixed the duet stuff. I think the C# is fine there since it makes sense above the F# bass and it avoids making a diminished third interval with the following B. Anyway, I don't have any more to say on this one so approving.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

145 - Battle! (Champion) - Libera
- Make sure the headers are inside the page margin
- Could we rework the measure distribution on pages 3-4? The 2-measure systems are super spread out. Also the system spacing on page 4 should match the other pages.
- I'd recommend lowering the left hand by an octave throughout... in order to better keep the original's bassy tone
- Beat 2 of m. 2 sounds like An instead of G#
- Bass of m. 32/36 - I'm hearing E# E# D# for beats 2, 3, 4 instead of G#s
- In measures 32-34 I would recommend writing in the upper and lower voices as in the original - the way it's written right now is a bit confusing and shifts some stuff by an octave.
- Inconsistent spelling of E#/Fn in the LH from m. 39-end
- Last melody note of m. 48/50 should be G
- It sounds like in m. 51 what you've written moves between 2-3 different voices in the original and I'm having a hard time trying to follow. Mind giving it another quick look?
- m. 52 beat 2 RH should be Cn
- The last two beats of m. 54 shouldn't have the accents (perhaps slur them to m. 55 instead?)
- m. 57 RH: hearing beat 3 as C#, beat 4-4.25 as B#-C#
- m. 58 RH: hearing beat 3 as G#, beat 3.5 as F#, beat 4 as D-G#-D-Gn
- m. 59 RH: Fn instead of F#?
- Last four measures - the right hand should actually dim. instead of cresc.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Yeah that's what you get for a 16 month old sheet.  I'd only been arranging for a month... Everything should be fixed now.

Latios212

26 - Battle! (Rival) - JDMEK5
Looks good, just a few things in addition to Static's feedback:
- Flip top tie in m. 18
- Normal position eighth rests in m. 49
- Could bump a system down on each page
- Text within page margins
Once this is updated, I approve!

Quote from: Libera on December 15, 2019, 09:55:13 AMYeah that's what you get for a 16 month old sheet.  I'd only been arranging for a month... Everything should be fixed now.
Haha no worries. Looks good now!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JDMEK5

Quote from: Static on July 29, 2019, 12:43:57 PM
Battle! (Team Galactic) - JDMEK5
  • My only concern is with the accidentals; I feel like a lot of these would technically be flats or double flats instead of naturals. However, what you have is, at least in my opinion, a lot clearer and easier to read, so I'm fine with keeping it as is. If you're fine with that too, I'll accept.
[close]
I made the accidentals as they are deliberately and then more recently (as in yesterday) reviewed them. They are as I would have them.

Battle! (Rival) - JDMEK5
  • m13: The size of those 8th rests in layer 1 is inconsistent with the rest of the section.
  • m20: The 8va marking goes above the top margin. There's enough room on the page to move all the systems down and/or closer together to keep everything within the margins (I'd probably do this for page 3 too so it looks consistent).
  • m49: I think the layer 2 G would be better written as an 8th note instead of a whole note. It sounds short in the original. and holding the G while trying to play the bass clef stuff at the same time is a really big stretch for one hand.
[close]
Quote from: Latios212 on December 15, 2019, 10:07:25 AM26 - Battle! (Rival) - JDMEK5
Looks good, just a few things in addition to Static's feedback:
- Flip top tie in m. 18
- Normal position eighth rests in m. 49
- Could bump a system down on each page
- Text within page margins
Once this is updated, I approve!
Done and done.

Went through 41 Solaceon Town with Latios and updated a few things. Specifically a single rest and optimized a bit of legibility in the second half. Other than that, looks good to go.
Accepted.

81 - Pokemon Center (Night)
I fixed the little bracket-diddly in measure 3 RH to be easier to work with, guaranteed-alignment at the corner, and a bit higher so it's not encroaching on that poor little eighth note. Aside from that, I give it my all clear.

Battle! (Champion)
Worked with Libera via discord for the following edits:
- Changed a few notes in measure 2
- Revised nature of harmony in opening melody (measure 11ish)
- More staccatos in RH m.39-42
- Added low B in measure 56
- Fixed a few notes and registers in run at measure 57
Accepted.

Victory Road
Worked with Latios over discord for the following edits:
- Added Cs in measures 2 and 4 RH for more tension and accuracy.
- Fixed some wrong notes in measure 7-8 RH.
Pending final review from Static
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Libera

Pt9 - Wif-Fi Plaza - Parade - Sebastian

I just made some visual adjustments to the system distribution on the first page and altered the LH accompaniment in bars 12,20,21,34 to keep it more consistent and to prevent the chords from getting really low.  Signing off on this now!

Static

46 - Battle! (Team Galactic Commander)
- m3-10: F#s and Ans should be Gbs and Bbbs.
- m35-46 LH: All Ans should be Bbbs.
- m43-46 RH: All sharps/naturals should be flats (Ab minor-ish section).

Quote from: JDMEK5 on December 15, 2019, 10:24:11 AM26 - Battle! (Rival) - JDMEK5
Done and done.

73 - Victory Road - Latios212
Worked with Latios over discord for the following edits:
- Added Cs in measures 2 and 4 RH for more tension and accuracy.
- Fixed some wrong notes in measure 7-8 RH.
Quote from: Latios212 on December 15, 2019, 07:37:06 AM129a - Contest: Results Announcement (Duet) - FireArrow
Fixed the duet stuff. I think the C# is fine there since it makes sense above the F# bass and it avoids making a diminished third interval with the following B. Anyway, I don't have any more to say on this one so approving.
All accepted now.

Latios212

Hearthome City (Day) - FireArrow
Lots of weird chords in this one:
  • m2 LH: The Bns should be Cbs (Db7 chord).
  • m3 LH: Maybe make the middle Cs in the LH Ds instead (it's kind of a stretch for the LH but its definitely doable), or somewhere in the RH. There's definitely a D in this chord though.
  • m4 RH: The Eb should be a D# (G7#5, or augmented 7th chord).
  • m8 RH: The Eb should be a D# (same reason as m4), and the D natural below it sounds more like its played on beat 4 instead of beat 3.5.
  • m10 & m26: The Abs should be G#s (E7#5 chord), but keep the Cs instead of making them B#s since those are a pain.
  • m34 RH: The Ebs should be D#s (another G7#5 chord).
[close]
I went and updated this since FireArrow is busy. Changes sound good; in addition to the above in m. 8 I took out the D since it's pretty faint, in m. 11 I added a courtesy natural on the G, and in the last measure I changed Eb to D#.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

65 - Battle! (Team Galactic Boss) - JDMEK5
- I don't know if this is possible to do in Finale, but if you can make those beams over the rests double instead of single, I think that would be good. An 8th note beam over a 16th rest just looks strange to me.
- https

Quote from: Latios212 on December 15, 2019, 04:49:44 PM129a - Contest: Results Announcement (Duet) - FireArrow
I went and updated this since FireArrow is busy. Changes sound good; in addition to the above in m. 8 I took out the D since it's pretty faint, in m. 11 I added a courtesy natural on the G, and in the last measure I changed Eb to D#.
Accepted.

Libera

Quote from: Onionleaf on September 22, 2019, 02:21:50 AMHi Static, sorry for the delay, I've made all the changes with just one query added in blue above.

I can have another look at this sheet sometime next week if that will help? It's been a while since I've edited it, so may be worth for me to do an extra self-review.

Link to file

Hey Onionleaf.  Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I think this sheet probably has some ways to go before it can be accepted (longer than the project deadline) so I hope it's alright if you put this into regular submissions (if you want to that is).  If you have any concerns do let us know, and sorry again for taking a while to respond on this one.

Static

Quote from: Libera on December 15, 2019, 05:25:57 PMHey Onionleaf.  Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I think this sheet probably has some ways to go before it can be accepted (longer than the project deadline) so I hope it's alright if you put this into regular submissions (if you want to that is).  If you have any concerns do let us know, and sorry again for taking a while to respond on this one.
I didn't your post earlier, Onionleaf - if I did we'd have gotten to it sooner... I think we'll be able to get this one in since it's not too long.

27 - Oreburgh Gate - Onionleaf
Quote from: Onionleaf on September 22, 2019, 02:21:50 AMYep, the note is 4 beats long, with the other 2 beats being in the very last measure of the piece. I hope that's appropriate?
Link to file
Even on the repeat, it sounds like that note is still only 4 beats long. m55 sounds like a 2/4 bar leading to a 4/4 bar (m1), and then to m2 as usual. Basically, your sheet has 2 extra beats compared to the original track. The other stuff you fixed looks good, so I've updated the files.

Libera

I managed to finally get one of the replacements we still needed for this finished up (#69).  I've put in in the dropbox.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Libera on December 16, 2019, 11:11:57 AMI managed to finally get one of the replacements we still needed for this finished up (#69).  I've put in in the dropbox.
nice

Th3Gavst3r

Since it's been so long, here's a link to the old file for comparison.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0ttsqfl0u41mom/60%20-%20Valor%20Lakefront%20%28Day%29%20-%20Th3Gavst3r.mus?dl=0

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-The A in bar 20 (right hand) should be an A#.
Got it

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-The bracketed left hand notes in 31 onwards aren't present in the orignal, which is, I assume, why you have bracketed them.  But I'm not sure why they're there at all?
At first I thought you meant the notes inside the square brackets, so I deleted those brackets since they weren't really adding much. But I think you meant the notes in parentheses.

Those notes actually do exist in the original, they're just extremely quiet and more of a percussive tap of the guitar strings than anything. The parentheses are meant to indicate these are ghost notes, which should be played extremely quietly.

I really like the lilt those notes give to the arrangement so I'd like to include them, but I'm not a huge fan of either the ghost notes or throwing dynamics everywhere. Of the two I like the simplicity of ghost notes better, but they might not be as widely understood. I'm going to leave them in for now, but let me know if you have any arguments for or against them.

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-The Eb and Gb in bar 2 make more sense as D# and F# (E9 chord) and also helps to avoid concurrent Ebs and Ens.  This goes for bar 6 as well.
I agree, changed it

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-The chord in bar 12 sounds like an extension of F# t  o me, so the Bb should be written as an A# and I think the Dn is actually a C#.  There's a similar thing going on at bar 28, so change those spellings accordingly (and also change the Bb -> A# and Fn -> E# in the right hand to match).
I double-checked bar 12, and it's definitely a Dn which makes this seem like a Gm7. That said, I also checked bar 28 and that chord does use a C# instead of Dn, so it seems like they were going for a F extension after all. I think it reads better with sharps in both cases too, so I changed the accidentals.

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-The Fn in bar 11 in the left hand should be an E# as it's going into F#.
Definitely right. Changed it

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-Some of the lower ties in bars 1-8 look a little funny.  Maybe flip them or adjust them a little?
I'm thinking you meant the ties on the layer 1 dyads? Flipping the layer 2 ties causes a lot of visual clutter from the ties overlapping the staff lines and leger lines, but I think there's plenty of room to flip layer 1 and have it still look natural.

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-I think the swing in 'Relaxed Swing' shouldn't be capitalised?
Probably right, I don't know anyone named Swing :P

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-The B in the left hand of bar 4 sounds like an A# to me.  Seems like it's just a regular F#7 chord rather than any sus stuff going on.
Good ear, you're definitely right

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-The chord in bar 16 is A7 rather than Amaj7 although there is a G# in the melody at that point.  So the G# in the chord in the right hand should really be a Gn.
Right again :D

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-I think there's also an A# in the left hand chord in bar 20, but if you think that's too many fingers I guess it's alright to leave out.
I couldn't find an A# anywhere in there, but I like the continued triads anyway. Kept it how it was.

Quote from: Libera on February 09, 2019, 08:39:40 AM-My favourite thing: http to https.
This sheet is so old

New files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nyu2k94udrgvbvr/AAD95qxm0XMJ_5aVSUebfe-sa?dl=0

Libera

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on December 17, 2019, 04:33:36 PM~~~

Awesome!  The changes look good to me.  The only thing I have to add is that the url and subtitle/page number on page 2 aren't aligned to the margins.  After that I shall approve.