News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

daj's ~theoretically possible~ piano solos! :D

Started by daj, July 31, 2016, 12:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

THIS IS AWESOME
I love this kind of music, loud and driving
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Dekkadeci

The Overwatch "theoretically possible" arrangement doesn't look 100% possible to me when it comes to bars like Bar 4 (I need to either use pedal or not play the tied 8th note in the left hand), Bar 17 (liberal use of pedal to the rescue for the LH), Bar 104 (again, I need to either use pedal or behave as if each LH quarter note is only a sextuplet-version 16th note), and quite likely more.

In second reflection, it does look like Cynthia's battle theme does suffer from some of the same problems (such as Bar 28, where the LH either requires pedal or forces me to let go of the long bass LH notes early). Maybe the tremolos in the Overwatch LH made its problems with theoretical playability really obvious.

Shame--they do sound like arrangements that could have come out of Georges Cziffra's mind (or Vladimir Horowitz's on a good day).

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Mmm.. it's still pretty impossible. Stretches aren't the only thing that make something impossible. Rapid intervals frequently require the re-positioning of your hand and it's just not possible to do it at that speed. The double thirds at around a minute in or so are also damn near unplayable.
what is shitpost

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

daj

Quote from: braixen1264 on November 13, 2016, 09:04:12 AMTHIS IS AWESOME
I love this kind of music, loud and driving

Ahaha, thank you! ^^ Love this kind of music too, whoop~

Quote from: Dekkadeci on November 13, 2016, 03:08:18 PMThe Overwatch "theoretically possible" arrangement doesn't look 100% possible to me when it comes to bars like Bar 4 (I need to either use pedal or not play the tied 8th note in the left hand), Bar 17 (liberal use of pedal to the rescue for the LH), Bar 104 (again, I need to either use pedal or behave as if each LH quarter note is only a sextuplet-version 16th note), and quite likely more.

In second reflection, it does look like Cynthia's battle theme does suffer from some of the same problems (such as Bar 28, where the LH either requires pedal or forces me to let go of the long bass LH notes early). Maybe the tremolos in the Overwatch LH made its problems with theoretical playability really obvious.

Shame--they do sound like arrangements that could have come out of Georges Cziffra's mind (or Vladimir Horowitz's on a good day).

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on November 13, 2016, 03:23:06 PMMmm.. it's still pretty impossible. Stretches aren't the only thing that make something impossible. Rapid intervals frequently require the re-positioning of your hand and it's just not possible to do it at that speed. The double thirds at around a minute in or so are also damn near unplayable.

Ooh, someone looked at the score over the gameplay in the  ackgroubd! Yay ^^

So um, some of the youtube comments I get have similar vibes to your two replies, hehe. To answer that I'll conveniently quote what Lat said:

Quote from: Latios212 on November 13, 2016, 03:25:08 PMYou two are totally missing the point... xD

Except not really. At its core this video (and this style of videos, really) emulates so called "black midis" and "impossible scores", which are often made to be blatantly unplayable using huge chord slams, excessive layering, and basically whatever anyone with no experience knows cannot be humanly played. I um, thought it was pretty distasteful and harsh in general, so this is my take on it. Difficulty through blatant unplayability is different from difficulty through intricacy, and these are extreme examples of over-intricacy.

So this score is meant to be humanly impossible - only possible in theory. It follows the rules that you need to follow when you write for someone with two hands, but disregards pianistic-ness (pianisticity??).

That being said, the fact that people are taking a closer look at the score and analysing my concept means I've fulfilled my initial purpose while, hopefully, giving you guys something entertaining to watch :)

Latios212

Hmm, maybe I should explain what I meant by that, haha.

These appeal to me because of... it's hard to place a finger on it. The limitation to the way things would sound on piano and to specific note ranges, yet freedom from the reasonable playability constraints... The creation of a musical texture using the piano's sounds without being limited to the way... people... play things.

So the way I see these it's more of an emulation of VGM on a piano rather than something that's supposed to even be thought about attempting... just look at the sheet! (And the disclaimers.) I love the way daj emulates the drumbeats in Cynthia's theme and complements the melody with the crazy runs. It's a great listening experience. It's not hard for the sake of being hard (like black midis, ugh, people just throw notes everywhere for the sake of making the synthesia playback more colorful) but for the sake of making it sound full... without resorting to multiple instruments.

And it's nice to see an arrangement like this on a traditional 2-staff piano sheet instead of on Synthesia, or spread across like 8 staves. It's fun to look at, haha.

I hope I interpreted your goals right? xD Or if not, I just explained why I'm enjoying these arrangements ^^
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle