Arrangement Contest No. 8 - Sign-ups

Started by BrainyLucario, August 22, 2016, 05:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrainyLucario

Please PM me your song choices before September 8th.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

braix

holy shit what I was planning on delaying that decision for months
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

cashwarrior1

Shoot, I gotta listen to more songs XD

E. Gadd Industries

Just saying, I will have a newfound respect for anyone that can successfully blend "Castle Bleck" with another song. Note I didn't say it would win definitively, though.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Latios212

I just realized Castle Bleck and Flipside share the same motif. It's amazing in general how you can twist melodies into really different-sounding things.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Latios212 on August 25, 2016, 06:15:08 PMI just realized Castle Bleck and Flipside share the same motif. It's amazing in general how you can twist melodies into really different-sounding things.
Just now? Huh. I've thought about it (not so deeply, but oh well) before. I always love to hear how an overworld ties together a large portion of the game. Like Delfino Carrefour! :|D
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Zeila

So is it still going to be from two different series? Or does that not matter anymore? Either way I'll sign up for an arranger with the plan but possibly not motivation to finish this time

InsigTurtle

daj

Quote from: Latios212 on August 25, 2016, 06:15:08 PMI just realized Castle Bleck and Flipside share the same motif. It's amazing in general how you can twist melodies into really different-sounding things.

more like, the whole undertale ost ;)

Latios212

Quote from: dajwxp on August 25, 2016, 06:50:18 PMmore like, the whole undertale ost ;)
Yeah! And other classics too, like Super Mario World and Super Mario 64, as well as, yes, Sunshine :J

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 25, 2016, 06:45:42 PMWill give a dollar to anyone who includes this
Quote from: Zeila on August 25, 2016, 06:51:56 PMMaybe someone can mix it with Twilit Battle
Additional challenge, get randomly assigned songs
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

I'd give $7 to whoever uses this in their mashup:
Spoiler
[close]

All jokes aside, I'm really looking forward to this contest! It'll be the first time I get to arrange something that's not just a plain transcription. I already figured out the songs I'm gonna do too...

InsigTurtle

Dekkadeci

Another question--just making sure, but are we allowed to change the key and/or tempo of one and/or both songs we choose? If we can't change the key of either piece, I'm stuck using a backup pair choice...

Quote from: Zeila on August 25, 2016, 06:32:42 PMSo is it still going to be from two different series? Or does that not matter anymore? Either way I'll sign up for an arranger with the plan but possibly not motivation to finish this time

Quote from: dajwxp on August 25, 2016, 06:50:18 PMmore like, the whole undertale ost ;)

I have a hunch that the two songs will have to be from different series. It's far too easy for any single series to mash up two of its songs together, possibly to the point where you suspect that one of them is based on the other after all:
What an old enough series has done to its songs recently
Stick around to 1:38 to really hear the mashup. Hint: this boss theme incorporates the theme of another boss it physically resembles...right at the point where it's playing a modification of the game's main leitmotif.
[close]

With that being said, you can PM me if you're scrambling for ideas, and after the rules are released, I can give you some legal ideas I ended up not choosing but I think have promise. Don't PM me back with whatever you chose. Warning: you may need to have an open mind.

As a general guideline for what I suspect you can choose: You can likely choose 2 pieces from the same composer but different series. I've found that some other pieces from different series share motifs (and even time signatures and keys).

cashwarrior1

Quote from: Static on August 25, 2016, 07:04:48 PMI'd give $7 to whoever uses this in their mashup:
Spoiler
[close]
I was going to make that joke! D:

I had an idea for two series to mash up, but the other series I know nothing about!

Spoiler
It's metal gear solid.
[close]