News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[GB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - "Inside the Houses" by maxmic480

Started by Zeta, August 27, 2016, 10:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Console: Game Boy
Title: Inside the Houses
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: maxmic480

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tobbeh99

Really nice arrangement! Really great song as well.

There's only one thing, but quite a big thing, I have as feedback. It's to include the "echo notes" in your arrangement. I feel like these 8-bit songs with echos sound quite empty without it when arranged for piano. By including them, it can mean that the arrangement becomes harder to play, but you can sometimes even write that the "echo notes" are optional, so I think adding them only makes the arrangement sound better.

Here's a performance of the song to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z483RyU2neg

Below's a Castlevania arrangement I made which have the similar technique, to show how you can notate it. Hopefully it get's less messy than mine. The thing to keep in mind when notating this is which hand to play which notes with. I think the best way of doing it is to make the Right Hand play the higher notes and the Left Hand play the lower notes. 

[Example]
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

maxmic480

Thank you! I made a version of my arrangement with the "echo notes", and I improved the other as well. (Link)

I think I actually prefer the original one, I find it more natural and peaceful.
But if you feel like it's empty, I'll submit the one with the echo, it sounds really good too!

Tobbeh99

Looks really nice!

An even better way of writing that would be like this:

This way, you show the melody more clearly. It's easy to get lost when playing this kind of songs and the second layer notes with tenutos helps showing the melody. You could also write a text saying something like "easier alternative: Play only the notes with tenutos". So that way you could play either versions.

Also, I feel like this song goes in 3/4, but not sure of how true that is. Would be nice to have other peoples opinion on this as well.
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

DonValentino

Quote from: maxmic480 on August 29, 2016, 01:10:25 PMThank you! I made a version of my arrangement with the "echo notes", and I improved the other as well. (Link)

I think I actually prefer the original one, I find it more natural and peaceful.
But if you feel like it's empty, I'll submit the one with the echo, it sounds really good too!

Take that as a purely stylistic suggestion. As an updater, I would personally accept it as you prefer most either with or without those notes since none of both versions are wrong: it's your arrangement and your vision of the song after all.

maxmic480

I made a third version here.
I have got some problems converting my MuseScore file into a Finale file though. The tenutos are all below the notes, and I can't fix it.

I like the idea of having the two versions in one arrangement. It seems like a good compromise.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: maxmic480 on August 30, 2016, 10:14:49 AMI made a third version here.
I have got some problems converting my MuseScore file into a Finale file though. The tenutos are all below the notes, and I can't fix it.

I like the idea of having the two versions in one arrangement. It seems like a good compromise.

Articulations gets a bit messed up when using reverse-beaming and cross-staffing. You have to manually move the articulations to make them be placed properly, it's the only way I know :-\.

I made some new files where I fixed the problem:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24842881/Inside%20the%20Houses.zip

10/10 tobbeh

maxmic480

Bespinben

This is one the most beautifully notated arrangements I've seen here in a long time. Thank you maxmic, and tobbeh, for blessing me with this sight.

I'd accept this right now, but there's one thing left...
Finale does this weird thing where, if there are two layers/voices present, it positions the rests of the upper one above the staff. So, if you'll move all those 16th rests in the treble staff to where they would normally belong, that'd be great.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

Also, you have some double accidentals in the Finale version of the sheet (not the PDF).
And you don't have measure numbers.

maxmic480

So I changed a few details and made a new MUS file, where I added measure numbers and moved the rests. (Link)
Can anyone help me for the tenutos and the page layout again ? :P

Tobbeh99

I was going to fix this when I noticed another problem. The quarter notes in the RH doesn't makes sense with the meter, aka you don't show the strong beats of the time signature. In 6/8 you have to show the 1st and the 4th beat since those are the strong beats of the time signature. So you have to get rid of the quarter note and make it either into a dotted 8th or into a 16th-tie-8th. I'm not sure which is the best however, I would like people to share their opinion on this. And also, do you want the rest to only be a 16th or can it be an 8th rest as well, I'm asking this as I have to know this before I fix it.

This is how it can look. I'm not sure whether to go with the measure 2 style or the one in measure 3.

10/10 tobbeh

Bespinben

I'd prefer m. 2 style; ties within the same beam group always seemed weird to me.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday