News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Arrangement Contest No. 8 in B# "Mix"olydian "Amalgamation"

Started by BrainyLucario, August 29, 2016, 05:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

unmotivated

Olimar12345

*checks watch*
*sips tea*
yep, time to beg for more time.

Joke but not joke-pls
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dekkadeci

When we submit our mashups, how elaborate can our explanations of how our mashups combine both pieces be? Can we provide a measure-by-measure description or label several bars with which video game music piece is used (or, if both, which instrument/staff handles what theme), for example?

Oronoco

Here's what we discussed.

It's all right to submit some program or performance notes along with your arrangement. Keep in mind that anything extra you submit won't factor into your score (which is still based on the given criteria).

However, please refrain from explaining how you've combined your pieces in your arrangement. Your arrangement should already be labeled with your two pieces in your subtitle. It's up to the judges to analyze your arrangement, and not every participant may want to provide explanations. Hope this doesn't suck out any of the fun, but you shouldn't get an unfair advantage, either. Let your piece speak for itself!
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

daj

Um, since it might be opportune I'd just like to bring up my question again:

Do we really need to submit .mus files?

Aaaand if we only need the mus files for the audio playback, is a pdf and an accompanying audio export a fair substitute?

It's going to be a mess to XML export five parts haha, I just realised. ^^; I don't mind getting points cut, but I really think that submitting a mus would be a bit too much unnecessary work~

Sorry for bringing this up again haha, I'd just like to be crystal-clear 'bout this~

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Oronoco on September 25, 2016, 05:20:57 PMHere's what we discussed.

It's all right to submit some program or performance notes along with your arrangement. Keep in mind that anything extra you submit won't factor into your score (which is still based on the given criteria).

However, please refrain from explaining how you've combined your pieces in your arrangement. Your arrangement should already be labeled with your two pieces in your subtitle. It's up to the judges to analyze your arrangement, and not every participant may want to provide explanations. Hope this doesn't suck out any of the fun, but you shouldn't get an unfair advantage, either. Let your piece speak for itself!
Shoot, my current score contains the musical form of the mashup in the subtitle and labels the first appearances of each video game music theme at their respective bars. Should I remove them?

Olimar12345

Well, like nocturne I'm officially going to have to drop out of the contest. Another writing opportunity has come up and as much fun as these contests are, paying the bills comes first :/

If I ever get some down time between projects, I'll probably finish my arrangement. I had a pretty cool idea! d:
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Awww, darn. I was looking forward to seeing your guys' songs.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Bloop

Unfinished still
This may be the first time I need an extension too

InsigTurtle

I could vomit all over my keyboard and it'd still be better than what I have right now

Dekkadeci

I'm actually finalizing the MIDI and MP3 right now, but I need answers to both my latest question and dajwxp's before submitting anything else. (My defaults are to remove the info I specified in my question and to submit a .mus and hope BrainyLucario can turn it into my PDF.)

Oronoco

Quote from: Dekkadeci on September 26, 2016, 12:15:41 AMShoot, my current score contains the musical form of the mashup in the subtitle and labels the first appearances of each video game music theme at their respective bars. Should I remove them?
It's fine to keep those. Just don't reveal all of your arranging secrets.

A MUS file is no longer required, but still recommended. If you use Finale, please go ahead and submit a MUS. Don't worry about it you use other software and the conversion would mess up your arrangement; be sure to include a nice audio file instead. Create your PDF from whatever software you normally work in to make the PDF look the neatest.

Also, the deadline has been moved to Saturday, November 5th. Hope that helps!

Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

MaestroUGC

I'll mention it here as well, I'm dropping at of the contest. The extended deadline is nice, but what I'm working on has evolved well beyond the bounds of the contest and has taken on a life of its own.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.