News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

Pokémon Soundtrack Discussion with Latios

Started by Latios212, October 22, 2016, 09:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

The Melemele theme is obvious, but here's one for you: have you noticed the Tapu leitmotif? You can find it in "A Tapu Appears!", "The Festival in Iki Town," "Island Kahuna's Theme," "Battle! (Kahuna)," "The Protector of the Island," and of course "Battle! (Tapu)" -- nice one, Jun'ichi Masuda.

I haven't noticed it in any other tracks, but I could be missing more. That's a surprising amount of use of a single theme for a Pokémon game.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Latios212

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 03, 2016, 11:03:07 PM...I wrote way too much. Sorry LOL
Aha don't worry, it's fine! This kind of commentary is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to read (and make) when I started this thread.

And, er... I'll reply to all your above stuff when I don't have a 5-page paper to write! xD
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

daj

Quote from: SlowPokemon on December 03, 2016, 11:03:07 PMI still haven't beaten the game! But I...(beautiful post ahead).

Amen. Fantastic write-up, and I really couldn't agree more with most of what you said <3

Quote..."Battle! (Solgaleo/Lunala)" track. It's certainly not exactly anything we've heard before, and using old-school synth sounds was an unusual choice. But I still feel that it's kind of lacking in rhythmic and harmonic development and variety. Kind of like "Battle! (Xerneas/Yveltal)" in regard to the way we just kind of hear the same couple melodic and rhythmic lines over and over without a ton of variation. I also don't really think that the theme provides very good imagery for the scene in question. So, again like the Xerneas/Yveltal track, it's a piece that I like just fine but doesn't really excite me. Maybe it's just disappointing because this is from Masuda, who gave us "Battle! (Dialga/Palkia)" and "Battle! (Giratina)," which are both super interesting and awesome without just beating the same ideas into our skulls.

Seconded! It was one of the letdown tracks of the OST, but only so because most of the other tracks are frikkin awesome~

QuoteMinako Adachi, on the other hand, is maybe becoming my current favorite Pokémon composer, or at least showing that he's (in my opinion) every bit as diverse and skillful as Hitomi Sato. In particular, every last one of his six battle themes for the game is spectacular...

Absolutely ^^

QuoteAnd then you have "Showdown! Lusamine" which is just absolutely batshit, taking the wildest and best parts of those other two tracks and turning the crazy scale up to eleven, amping up the instrumentation with more electronics and a pipe organ of all things to open the number. Like, I cannot get enough of these tracks. I can't even come to terms with how unpredictable and multi-layered it all is.

I love this track to death too, ahaha. I think Minako Adachi's style is more full-electronic: less melody-dependent and more texture-defined. Basically, the control of loops and layers is at a level which makes me speechless. The tone control is way up there, and you've got those frikkin amazing ambient bells that no one knows how anyone designed.

"Showdown! (Lusamine)" - no idea who she is yet, don't spoil it please :p - is the epitome of that, being texturally-defined almost entirely. And of course, the use of artificial ambience. Frikkin amazing <3

QuoteAgain, I know we have slightly differing opinions on Shota Kageyama, and he's done a lot of great stuff for the music of Pokémon, but I honestly find that this soundtrack that is completely void of him has such a wider array of neat and interesting compositions that are simultaneously really catchy and really complex. I don't know. I'm very much into the soundtrack, more than I have been the last couple.

Definitely. Sun and Moon is currently at the top of my list of favourite OSTs, probably beating Eternal Sonata's one (though that's not a fair comparison?). Never have I heard so many great pieces of ambient electro in one collection.

Shota Kageyama is probably a fantastic orchestrator, buuuuut yeah. Pokemon needs its darkness. His darker tracks (Dragonspiral Tower, the whole N series maybe) aren't that bad considering the time of creation, buuuut that was also the era that Hitomi Sato wrote Eterna Forest and Go Ichinose did Mt. Coronet Peak (bias is clear). So yeah.

QuoteMaybe Ichinose is like their lucky charm?

Ichinose is genius. Nuff said.

Much cheers man, great post ^^