News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

Animated films

Started by Nitro Indigo, October 23, 2016, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Even more so than terrible movies making money, lots of movies that are phenomenal perform badly at the box office. How successful a film is at the box office is literally irrelevant nonsense when you're talking about the film's quality. Not to mention, I think Marvel is kind of trashy. Their movies pander to an audience so badly. The only Marvel movie I liked was Big Hero 6. And I wouldn't call ANY of their works significantly good or important on a quality level. Entertaining? Maybe. But I'm interested in actual substance.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

What you're saying is barely true.  Sometimes that happens, but it's an oddity when it happens.  People like a movie>they go see it.  It's that simple.
unmotivated

Dudeman

There's a difference between people liking a movie and a movie actually being good, though. See also: Michael Bay's Transformers.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

Was a good movie.  I liked it.
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 25, 2016, 04:01:20 PMWhat you're saying is barely true.  Sometimes that happens, but it's an oddity when it happens.  People like a movie>they go see it.  It's that simple.

When Marnie Was There was released in like one or two theaters per state. How is it possibly supposed to make money on the level that wide releases do? I can't tell if you're trolling me or if you legitimately think that just because "more people like it" a movie is objectively better

SlowPokemon

Not to mention, how are they supposed to know if they like it when they haven't even seen it yet

Nitro Indigo

Quality is subjective.

(Also, there was this anime movie that came out a couple of years ago, I think it was by Ghibli, and it had something to do with the wind...?)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

mikey

when looking at objectivity, you need to take the numbers into account.  That means higher grossing movies tend to be better or more enjoyable than lower grossing movies.  It's not nearly the only factor, but it's one of the measurements, and I consider it pretty accurate.  And that's why previews exist.  Also word of mouth happens too.  Some old people will go to the movie theater and just see if anything good is showing soon, then watch that.
unmotivated

Nitro Indigo

Moving on... I just watched Meet the Robinsons, and it's now my fourth-favourite film. Toy Story 2 is now my fifth, and I also discovered today that it's the best-review film of all time; all 163 professional reviews are positive.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Onionleaf

Reading through this thread made me curious about "Wolf Children". Wow, it was so lovely! The mother reminded me of our mother, who was strong enough to move to a foreign country with us and managed to raise my brother and I (almost) by herself.

I was very sick yesterday and wanted to watch some pleasant movies to make me feel better. In the end I scoured my files and chose Laputa: Castle in the Sky. I could watch Studio Ghibli films many times over.

I, too, haven't particularly noticed a correlation between high viewing numbers and me actually enjoying the movies. Most of the time the more well-advertised movies are those that I would only feel like watching once and never again, with pretty standard plot lines. Then again, that doesn't always apply as I have several popular animated films on my favourites list as well.

Some of my favourite movies from my childhood are "The Road To El Dorado" and "Sinbad: Legend of The Seven Seas", as well as the obvious Disney films that everyone loves.

mikey

wow sinbad
that movie scared me half to death when I first watched it
unmotivated

Nitro Indigo

I just watched Cars 2. The pacing was way too fast, leaving no time for the characters to develop, but it wasn't terrible.

Also, I sort of want to watch Trolls, but at the same time, I'm worried that it'll be stupid. It has an 86% score on Rotten Tomatoes...?

SlowPokemon

Pro tip: stop caring about American childrens' CGI films. Disney/Pixar is the only company that's even moderately worth keeping up with in this regard.

Ghibli films and films with alternative animation styles are almost always much better and don't feel the need to fill their movies with stupid gross jokes.

Nitro Indigo

Rise of the Guardians, How to Train Your Dragon...

That being said, CellSpex on YouTube has made an excellent point on the "CGI comedy" formula.

SlowPokemon

Rise of the Guardians and How to Train Your Dragon are both way overrated and can't come close to the Ghibli or Laika films. Not to mention, those are basically the only two exceptions in a HUGE Dreamworks canon that's largely shameless kid fodder.