News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Smash mains, personalities and stuff

Started by Tobbeh99, November 05, 2016, 04:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbeh99

I remembered Scar and Toph saying something like "I think the choice of your main says a lot f your personality". And I thought about it and think that it's very true and interesting. So I'd like to start a small discussion about it, just for fun.

There are certain stereotypes within Smash like how CF mains often play aggressive and Sheiks often play Defensive. And even if you look at top level you see Mang0 playing Falco, Mew2King playing Sheik, PPMD playing Marth/Falco, Hungrybox Playing Puff, Armada playing Peach/Fox, and Leffen playing Fox. And I thought a long time of what type of character I am and I think I'm either an aggressive player like Mang0 or a balanced player like PPMD. First main I got was actually Marth after hearing about M2K, but later I heard about Falcon and how Isai could just triple-knee combo and take a stock and I thought it was nice strategy; all the way back in 64 I played Kirby, because he was happy and had fun moves, lol. So I started Falcon, and was way to aggressive (and dumb) with Falcon. Then later I learned that I needed to be more calm in order to win and do well. I think I'm very similar to PPMD or Scar actually, how I try to play the most hype character, even though I don't always like him, but also try to chill down a bit, and not be as crazy as mang0. So I like playing hype characters just for fun, but I also like doing well and succeeding when playing, I don't only play to style but I don't only play to win.

If I ever get back to the Melee scene I'm thinking of picking up Marth, as I think he plays in way that matches my personality. But I also got a Falco, which is a character I really like, so I don't think it's necessary.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Dekkadeci

I heavily suspect that your choice of Smash Bros main and how well you can justify it/them personality-wise depends on how competitive a Smash Bros gamer you are. If you are a professional Smash Bros gamer, for example, I think you'd be more likely to pick a top-tier character.

I'm a casual Smash Bros gamer, I don't play it very much, and I'm pretty bad at the game (I tend to get the fewest KOs and get KO'd the fastest even among classmates/family/work colleagues). I tend to pick Mario because I like him as a character and he's relatively easy to pilot, but I still have trouble recovering properly with him and he does feel weak compared to other characters I've tried. (He's my SSB64 main, though.) This drove me to pick up Kirby in SSBM, despite me liking him significantly less as a character, because he had some of the best recovery in that game. I was overjoyed when I could finally pick Meta Knight in SSBB--I like him a lot as a character and he also has excellent recovery (if no projectile attacks). He does feel overpowered, though, and it's not just his competitive performance--I found we beat up more AIs faster whenever I played as him. I also played as R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch more in the Subspace Emissary (partly because I like their roles in that game mode, partly because they still felt stronger than Mario).

I haven't played SSB4 yet, but I'll probably end up picking the same characters in that game, and I might toss in a new-to-SSB4 character.

...There's no way I'm pressing the Random button if I don't have to--I can't get that many characters' special moves straight, especially in the heat of battle.

mikey

I try to get good at smash but since I'm new to smash.  My mains are usually small floaty characters with good recovery like toon link and Ness, but I also like to play ganon and link.  Sometimes samus too.
What does that say about my personality?
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

I main Meta Knight. This is because of how fast he is. Being able to deliver quick attacks keeps the battle in my control, which helps greatly. What does this say about my personality?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 05, 2016, 08:00:22 AMI try to get good at smash but since I'm new to smash.  My mains are usually small floaty characters with good recovery like toon link and Ness, but I also like to play ganon and link.  Sometimes samus too.
What does that say about my personality?

idk but maybe you like small characters that don't die easily. I know for sure that you play Link and Ganon because your (arguably) the biggest Zelda fan on the site! :P
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

Quotethe biggest Zelda fan on the site! :P
heck yeah recognition
unmotivated

Tobbeh99

Am I the only one who dislikes hearing tips and stuff to coach me? Because often when I lose I feel like I know what I did wrong and that I just didn't "played the game right" and that's why I lost. And I also like figuring out things myself in order to improve rather than "better" people sitting saying "this is what you should do against x character" or "this player really does x stuff a lot, take note of that".

10/10 tobbeh

mikey

Trying to change that attitude would only lead to improvement, I believe
unmotivated

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on November 05, 2016, 11:15:10 AMAm I the only one who dislikes hearing tips and stuff to coach me? Because often when I lose I feel like I know what I did wrong and that I just didn't "played the game right" and that's why I lost. And I also like figuring out things myself in order to improve rather than "better" people sitting saying "this is what you should do against x character" or "this player really does x stuff a lot, take note of that".
^ This so much. I always love figuring things out on my own. I feel cheap if I do things like looking up walkthroughs for a game I'm actually going to play.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 05, 2016, 11:34:29 AMTrying to change that attitude would only lead to improvement, I believe

I doubt. But I believe you have the opposite opinion when it comes to smash, more M2Kesque style.

10/10 tobbeh

braix

I main pikachu to fuck around by spamming thunderbolt and never dying
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

WaluigiTime64

I main King Dedede, for no damn reason.
I also use Luigi and Yoshi a lot, but generally I can play as any character somewhat effectively.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Tobbeh99

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on November 05, 2016, 12:48:33 PMI main King Dedede, for no damn reason.
I also use Luigi and Yoshi a lot, but generally I can play as any character somewhat effectively.

I also have a pocket random.

10/10 tobbeh

Latios212

Quote from: braixen1264 on November 05, 2016, 12:43:03 PMI main pikachu to fuck around by spamming thunderbolt and never dying
you're one of those people

that's okay I am too

...sometimes. I'm a casual player and mostly just play with friends and family on occasion. Haven't played in a while but I enjoy using Rosaluma in one-on-one matches.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

I main ZSS because she's fast, mobile, and has a moveset that makes sense to me.
I swear it's not because I love spamming the up+b.
Ok maybe it is