[WiiU] Paper Mario: Color Splash - "Island in Violet" by SombreroGuy123

Started by Zeta, November 12, 2016, 07:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on January 23, 2017, 05:30:30 PMIt's in the sound test for the game. In the game. When you unlock the sound test.
straight from the department of redundancy department
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

SombreroGuy123

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 19, 2017, 07:29:46 AMIt can be done, but it's a bit tricky. You were on the right track by splitting the channels though. Here's the rest of the procedure:

1) Make sure your channels are split. You had this which is good.
2) When placing a dynamic, you can right click the handle and one of the options from the drop down should open up a dialog box which should have an area to manually tell it which layer to affect in playback. I can't remember what it's called off-hand.
3) If you want a dynamic working on both staves/channels, put it down for either one, then go to the expression definition box and make a duplicate of the dynamic level you want.
4) Go to your new duplicate and hit "Edit". Hit the following things in order: The playback tab at the top, then back to the first tab, then check off the "Hidden" box. After that, hit OK.
5) You should now have a clone of the dynamic you want except that it'll be invisible. At this point it's more of a controller. Splat that sucker in right over the other one and make sure your invisible one is affecting the channel that isn't being covered by the visible one.

Thanks for the instruction. It looks like I had already done all this before the update, but then deleted the hidden dynamics because they look a bit ugly in the .mus. But if that's OK, the problem should be solved now.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 19, 2017, 07:29:46 AMSomething else that grabbed my attention actually were the grace notes. Make them slashed eighth notes instead of 32nds. If it throws the playback off a bit, oh well; but if it matters that much to you I think someone (was it Mael or FA?..) had a way to use invisible 3rd layer to manipulate the playback without affecting the visuals. But visuals are certainly highest priority.
Playback seems to work with eighth notes fortunately.

Two other things:

- Last time I forgot to mention that I added a few notes in measures 17-20 (RH) to make the bass melody stronger.
- The name is now "Island in Violet" again.

Maelstrom

This arrangement is great!
A few general things:
In the future, be careful about not adding to many harmonies. I'd be against it here, but it adds to the feel of the song.
2nd, if the bassline doesn't change, don't change how it's played. Again, it's fine here as it emphasizes the changes in dynamics, but the trombone is playing exactly the same notes in the intro as in the actual song, but it's notated differently in different places.
Specific stuff:
m8, b3-4, LH, it's a descending scale thingy. It's D-C-Bb-A
Be carful about overlapping notes. Add parenthesis where you can, and remove notes other places. For example, m10 has the c3 doubled on beat 4.
I'm not convinced that m17 to halfway through 20 in the Rh actually exist in the song. I think it's supposed to be the guitar, but it doesn't match up. The only part of the song that's weak note-wise at all.
You've got a lot of white space on pg1. Rearranging it could also fix how uncomfortable close the composer is to the game title. The composer/arranger block should be firmly below the song title and game title.

EDIT: AND I FORGOT TO MENTION THE FLOATING REST IN M8

SombreroGuy123

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 28, 2017, 08:50:40 PMThis arrangement is great!
Thanks!
Quote from: Maelstrom on January 28, 2017, 08:50:40 PM2nd, if the bassline doesn't change, don't change how it's played. Again, it's fine here as it emphasizes the changes in dynamics, but the trombone is playing exactly the same notes in the intro as in the actual song, but it's notated differently in different places.
I removed the fifths, perhaps they are too heavy at some points anyway.
Quote from: Maelstrom on January 28, 2017, 08:50:40 PMm8, b3-4, LH, it's a descending scale thingy. It's D-C-Bb-A
Be carful about overlapping notes. Add parenthesis where you can, and remove notes other places. For example, m10 has the c3 doubled on beat 4.
Done.
Quote from: Maelstrom on January 28, 2017, 08:50:40 PMI'm not convinced that m17 to halfway through 20 in the Rh actually exist in the song.
Wrote a new version. Only problem: the guitar chord in m20, b2. Actually, it must be C minor, but this sounds kind of wrong because the C collides with the Bb in the melody. Does anyone have an idea? (Ignore the chord in the current version, it's just one of many failed attempts...)
Incidentally it is intended that m18 b1, RH, has no slur. It's actually not part of the melody.
Quote from: Maelstrom on January 28, 2017, 08:50:40 PMYou've got a lot of white space on pg1. Rearranging it could also fix how uncomfortable close the composer is to the game title. The composer/arranger block should be firmly below the song title and game title.
EDIT: AND I FORGOT TO MENTION THE FLOATING REST IN M8
Done.

Maelstrom

SombreroGuy123

Thank you, great job!
I just made two small changes:
- m.18 RH: I'm pretty sure that it's C D G and not C Eb G - sorry if I'm wrong.
- m.37 RH: The note stems were too short here I think.
Apart from that, this arrangement should be finished now. Thanks for all your feedback! 

Maelstrom

Quote from: SombreroGuy123 on February 19, 2017, 05:19:41 AMThank you, great job!
I just made two small changes:
- m.18 RH: I'm pretty sure that it's C D G and not C Eb G - sorry if I'm wrong.
- m.37 RH: The note stems were too short here I think.
Apart from that, this arrangement should be finished now. Thanks for all your feedback!
m18 RH - I'm inclined to say it's C En G rather than either of the two.
m37 RH - Good idea.

Fix that last thing and it's ready to go.

Maelstrom

Zeta