News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[SNES] EarthBound - "Boy Meets Girl (Twoson)" (Replacement) by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, October 11, 2016, 06:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 20, 2016, 10:26:21 AMStuff:
-Why the change in title? There is no official soundtrack release, and the next closest thing (The Mother 1+2 album) officially titles the track as "Twoson's Theme." (edit, this album also titles it simply "Twoson")
I originally found the track title (plus all the other EB songs I've done) from this listing on Starmen.net. Upon further investigation, I found out that the names came from this website. Unlike the albums you've posted, this has track titles for every piece of music in EB, and not just a select few. The second website also seems to indicate that Tomato (the guy who did the Mother 3 fan translation) was involved in the dumping/naming of the tracks. I agree that it's not 100% official, but a) it's about as official as we're going to get, and b) if we choose not to use this one, we'll have to change a bunch of the names for the sheets already on site.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 20, 2016, 10:26:21 AMStuff:
-Measure 16: the LH needs to release with the RH. Make the half note a quarter note followed by a quarter rest.
-The last four sixteenth notes in measure 36 (LH) should be (descending): G-F#-D-B
-The RH in the first four measure is...an odd choice imo. In the original, it sounds more like how you have it in measures 5-8 etc. I would suggest just doing that lol.
-Measure 14 RH chord on beat one should be G & B (ascending). This would make the reach a tenth down to that G, but it's only a third away from the LH, so why not have it played with the LH? This occurs again in measure 16.
-Just like I mentioned about the opening four measures, the RH in measures 34 & 35 sound distinctly like eighth notes rather than quarter notes (unlike how it changes in measure 36).
-Your composer names aren't in alignment.
Corrected & updated.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 20, 2016, 10:26:21 AMMore next time!
I'm looking forward to it!

Olimar12345

Quote from: Yug_Guy on December 20, 2016, 11:04:14 AMI originally found the track title (plus all the other EB songs I've done) from this listing on Starmen.net. Upon further investigation, I found out that the names came from this website. Unlike the albums you've posted, this has track titles for every piece of music in EB, and not just a select few. The second website also seems to indicate that Tomato (the guy who did the Mother 3 fan translation) was involved in the dumping/naming of the tracks. I agree that it's not 100% official, but a) it's about as official as we're going to get, and b) if we choose not to use this one, we'll have to change a bunch of the names for the sheets already on site.

It's not like we have to be consistent with a fan's rip of the music, just that in instances like this it's weird and unnecessary. Nothing officially sanctioned (that I can manage to find) promotes the "Boy Meets Girl" bit.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

That's probably true, but starmen.net is pretty thorough.  It's possible this is the correct title.  It seems more "EarthBound"-y to me and he's been doing it for all his other arrangements too
unmotivated

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 20, 2016, 11:11:21 AMIt's not like we have to be consistent with a fan's rip of the music, just that in instances like this it's weird and unnecessary. Nothing officially sanctioned (that I can manage to find) promotes the "Boy Meets Girl" bit.
Actually, I think I've found something. To quote Wikipedia regarding the Mother 2 official soundtrack:

Quote from: WikipediaThe soundtrack album for EarthBound was released by Sony Records in Japan on November 2, 1994. It was re-released a decade later on February 18, 2004 by Sony Music Direct. The album has 24 tracks, where many of these tracks are arrangements combining several pieces from the game into one piece.
The tracklist given by Wikipedia then goes on to list Twoson's theme as:
Quote from: Wikipedia3. "Theme of Twoson" (from "Boy Meets Girl")
This website also seems to corroborate this claim as well.

Maybe it doesn't completely convince you, but it is at the very least an instance of "Boy Meets Girl" in something officially sanctioned. 

Olimar12345

Oh snap, that's even on vgmdb (if you scroll down to the bottom) http://vgmdb.net/album/800
Okay yeah, that's fine then. My battle against unofficialness shall resume elsewhere.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

You actually missed this thing:
Quote from: Yug_Guy on December 20, 2016, 11:04:14 AM
Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 20, 2016, 10:26:21 AM-Measure 14 RH chord on beat one should be G & B (ascending). This would make the reach a tenth down to that G, but it's only a third away from the LH, so why not
Corrected & updated.
More:
-Measure 37 LH beat two D should be a C.
-In general (not really an "error," just something that should make it easier for you in the future) the preset defaults for how the first two layers (black and red) function are worked so that the first layer defaults as the "upper" layer and the second layer as the lower, in terms of alignment things. For example, articulations are normally set to appear in the opposite side of the staff as the other layer, meaning that when both layers are in use, the red will automatically set them below the staff while the black layer will automatically set them above the staff. Alignment of seconds between layers is also always in favor of layer one. So as the finale user, you can save time working with the program when you think "upper and lower splits" rather than each layer being an individual entity.

As for the sheet, there were lots of tiny things that irked me here and there, so rather than word-vomit them here, I'll let you take a look at how I think it would look the best:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59554832/nsm/NSM%20subs/Earthbound%20Twoson%202%2012345.mus

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 21, 2016, 02:39:13 PMYou actually missed this thing:
Whoops. Sorry about that.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 21, 2016, 02:39:13 PM-In general (not really an "error," just something that should make it easier for you in the future) [blurb]
Huh, I guess I never really thought of it like that. That'll certainly make things a lot easier down the line.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 21, 2016, 02:39:13 PMAs for the sheet, there were lots of tiny things that irked me here and there, so rather than word-vomit them here, I'll let you take a look at how I think it would look the best:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59554832/nsm/NSM%20subs/Earthbound%20Twoson%202%2012345.mus
Yeah, that definitely looks a lot better. I'll try to keep these in mind for next time. Is it okay if I use this?

Olimar12345

Yug_Guy

Zeta