Update, Wednesday 14th of December 2016 [UNDERTALE]

Started by Olimar12345, December 13, 2016, 10:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

Dudeman

...is an argument about the word translate actually happening right now
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

Olimar12345

Quote from: Dudeman on December 14, 2016, 04:23:38 PM...is an argument about the word translate actually happening right now

I guess so.

@dude: he's talking about the translation between the original sound file to the arrangement that I made and the difference in their sound based on what I wrote. Despite its name, "sheet music" isn't music at all.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dude

SlowPokemon

Actually Olimar is right. "Doesn't translate well" is correct when you're talking about music being edited to play on other instruments, so it stands to reason that certain effects could "translate to piano" in an interesting way. Transcribe has a different meaning than what Sebastian was going for.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

In music copyright law, one can obtain a mechanical compulsory license in order to distribute, in audio format, one's own cover of a copyrighted song. The same does not apply for sheet music, however. There is no such thing as a mechanical compulsory license for sheet music of cover songs. Why?

Because, the sheet music of one's own cover of a song falls under the category of "derivative work", and for that, private negotiation with the right's holder is the only venue to obtain licensing.

But why is it a derivative work? Here's where it gets relevant:
Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 14, 2016, 04:29:42 PM"sheet music" isn't music at all.
Take this scenario. A vocal piece "covered" in another language would be considered derivative, not transformative, because the words were TRANSLATED. Sheet music is treated similarly, because it's not music -- it's a language.

Conclusion: A piece of fanmade video game sheet music is legally viewed as a TRANSLATION of the source material.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Dudeman

Quote from: Bespinben on December 14, 2016, 05:25:07 PMConclusion: A piece of fanmade video game sheet music is legally viewed as a TRANSLATION of the source material.
in other words, we gon' get sued someday
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

I keep reading your posts but they just don't sound correct.

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Dudeman

I mean, I think I get what the difference is. Translation is moving the notes from one medium/instrument to another, transcription is accurately writing all the notes in the first place.

Dude

Exactly, you have to transcribe before you translate

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Dudeman on December 14, 2016, 05:30:00 PMin other words, we gon' get sued someday
I once published my own arrangement of Sleigh Ride by Leroy Anderson, and that was my first score taken down by a copyright strike. I always believe that I'm treading on hot coals unless I specifically get permission from the original composer(s) (which I've done a grand total of once so far).