News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

NSM Submissions Statistics

Started by Onionleaf, January 13, 2017, 10:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onionleaf

Hiya! I wanted to share the result of something that came to mind recently. I thought it would be interesting to see what the trends for NSM updates have been throughout the years. Apologies if this has been done before or if there's already a neater way of doing this, but I basically set up an Excel data table for preparing some statistics for NSM uploaded submissions.

I hope viewing these will be a motivational experience for you. ;)

Here's the original Excel file with all the data and Pivot Charts all set up if you'd like to get more out of the info: [Link]
(Let me know if I made the whole thing too difficult to decipher, I'll do my best to improve it!)

=============

The charts below show the total submissions uploaded to the site per month, categorised into new sheets (blue) and replacements (red). I've also included two key dates, labelled by green vertical lines, which help understand the data a bit better.

Chart for All Data
[close]

This second chart removes all special projects or featured arranger updates, showing only the normal, regular updates.

Chart for Regular Updates Only
[close]

Finally, this third chart shows the total arrangements for each month. There's an obvious seasonal trend to be seen!

Totals by Month
[close]

All-in-all, I'd say the figures show that we can expect a positive trend in years to come. And if we include the factor that the quality of uploaded sheets is only improving, then we surely have nothing to worry about.

============

If you have any other ideas for NSM Stats, feel free to share them. I like working with statistics and Excel worksheets, and am happy to work on any other crazy ideas. ^^

E. Gadd Industries

Well this is an interesting project!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Dudeman

This is way cool. It takes some determination to dig back in the submission archives, so nice job!
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Latios212

I like this a lot. Numbers are cool

Oh, do you have the excel file with the actual numbers in it? I'd like to look haha
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Onionleaf

Quote from: Latios212 on January 15, 2017, 05:40:55 PMI like this a lot. Numbers are cool

Super cool. Can't beat the power of statistical analysis. 8)

QuoteOh, do you have the excel file with the actual numbers in it? I'd like to look haha

Sure do! The link is up in the OP, here you go *reaches up and picks it off the shelf* https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108749630/Arrangements/NSM%20Stats.xlsx
Enjoy

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

This is been something I've been wondering for a while, but never bothered to count up (so thanks for this ::))

A little over two years ago Deku implemented the new submissions system. About two years ago we had the domain change, so any sheet uploaded since then will both have the new URL on it and be checked for quality through the strict updating process; we'll call it up to date. Your chart gives me 1343 replacements or new sheets uploaded in the past year, which is over 40% of the site! That may not seem like a lot, but consider just two years ago a flat 0% of the sheets were up to date, and that comprises everything from 2004 to 2014. Only 3/5 of the sheets we have today are fro mbefore 2015.

So if >40% of our site is up to date, good with formatting and accuracy, where does the other <60% stand? That's a little hard to tell because the good pre-2015 sheets are mixed in with all the horrendous ones. Well, some pre-2015 sheets have been updated with the new URL (some Animal Crossing, Metroid, Zelda games...) and wouldn't still be up there in that condition if they weren't good as well. So probably close to half our sheets have the new URL, that's cool. URL aside, though, I'm confident that a sizeable portion of them are good. The updating process was far from awful pre-2015, and besides a select few good arrangers comprise a large chunk of the site. So I'd conclude that the majority of the sheets we host are presentable! (That's saying a lot, considering what some sections used to look like when I joined).

It is my goal to one day get that number up to 100%. There's no end to clearing the abominations on site in near sight (there are sooo many...) but I believe one day we can do it!

<end pep talk>

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

My goal is to have every track of every game ever
unmotivated

EFitTrainr

my goal is to get laid, but hey, whatever works
I like food.

AwesomeYears