News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Here's a bit of advice: you don't want people to be mad at you for putting things on the quiz, you want them to be mad at themselves for not getting the ones you put on the quiz.

*evil laughs at this past round*
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on May 10, 2017, 05:34:57 PMHere's a bit of advice: you don't want people to be mad at you for putting things on the quiz, you want them to be mad at themselves for not getting the ones you put on the quiz.

*evil laughs at this past round*

Lat is a sadist

Source: experience
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 10, 2017, 06:04:57 PMLat is a sadist

Lat is right; posting melodies from well-known games makes it too easy for everybody. By the time we teach them about new soundtracks, they'll be thanking us.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

But there's no reason why you can't do both at once

After all I'm getting back into the CC OST thanks to Lat

Plus, there are plenty of relatively well-known games with awesome soundtracks that some people on here don't know well, and one of the best ways to get them to learn those soundtracks is to keep putting them on these quizzes *cough*RtD*cough*Dudeman*cough*Lat*cough* sorry I think I need to step outside and get some fresh air
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 10, 2017, 06:24:16 PMPlus, there are plenty of relatively well-known games with awesome soundtracks that some people on here don't know well, and one of the best ways to get them to learn those soundtracks is to keep putting them on these quizzes *cough*RtD*cough*Dudeman*cough*Lat*cough* sorry I think I need to step outside and get some fresh air

I'm just having trouble deciding whether or not a game is "well-known" or "obscure", and I know I'll give away my answers if I ask for everyone's opinion on the obscurity of a game.

There's some bias; I can tell. Some people seem to like RPGs more, and others like to stick to one franchise.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

From Lat's Book on Trivia Theory™:

To be clear, I was advocating for using familiar melodies, but making them difficult (which is tricky to do well). This way, people have the potential to score more, but may not, which is cause for all the fun (and frustration!). You want people to be thinking "oh man I know this but where is it from" and "dangit I should have gotten that!", not "well this doesn't sound familiar at all" and "now that I know what it is, I can confirm I never would have gotten this". In that vein, making the motif obvious but the iteration difficult is not a good idea either; there's no "eureka!" moment, just an "oh, I finally found it after searching through all these remixes".

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 10, 2017, 06:04:57 PMLat is a sadist

Source: experience
<3
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dekkadeci

Why does #6 sound like Emperor Palpatine's theme and #9 sound like it came from a Batman game?

(In the meantime, the only one I get is #3.)

Quote from: Latios212 on May 10, 2017, 06:38:49 PMTo be clear, I was advocating for using familiar melodies, but making them difficult (which is tricky to do well).
Does using a familiar melody (say "That Person's Name Is"/"One-Winged Angel"/"ASGORE") but only using an excerpt from 2 or more minutes into the song count, especially when that melody isn't the first theme of that song?

LeviR.star

LeviR.star

I will be posting the answers around 20 hours from now. Make sure to submit your guesses!

Dudeman

...hold on, aren't answers supposed to go up Saturday?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

mastersuperfan

shhh Dudeman don't say anything so we can get our next quiz sooner

Dudeman

hey some of us haven't had time to sit down and send an answer PM okay
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Quote from: Dudeman on May 12, 2017, 01:31:16 PM...hold on, aren't answers supposed to go up Saturday?

Oops, sorry; I must be still used to the old schedule. My apologies, everyone! I will post them Saturday.

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.