News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Korok Forest (Day)" by Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck

Started by Zeta, March 30, 2017, 04:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Wii U
Title: Korok Forest (Day)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pianoth

This is my first submission, so there could be some problems that I don't know. I've written the score using Sibelius 8.5 (I mostly use Sibelius), then I converted in XML, opened in Finale 25.1 (that's the version of Finale I have), and I did several changes according to the standard format of the scores in this site, but I may have missed something without noticing. This is my original sibelius file, just to be complete.

Info on the transcription:
This is the original soundtrack. My transcription is as close as possible to the original: that makes pretty hard to play, but it's playable of course (I can play it). I've did some slight changes on purpose to the OST, and these are the following:
  • Bar 89 and Bar 105: The original music does a quite strange brief and irregular rest. That might as well be an error in the original audio or something. I decided not to write it.
  • Bar 124: The original music does a strange rest, then it repeats the bar (5:51 in the video). That might as well be an error in the original audio or something too. I decided not to write it.
  • Bar 143: The original music does a very quick fade out. To compensate on the piano for an actual performance, I put a low G played piano. That's not in the original music, but it gives a way to finish it decently.

Maelstrom

This is really good!
-I don't have a lot of time now, so here's a few things I noticed:
m1 and everywhere else that bassline appears - The 2nd eighth note should honestly be a staccato instead of a tenuto. If you were actually playing this in an orchestra with strings, I'd go with a tenuto, but a staccato makes more sense on a piano to give the quick feel it has in the original.
-You could use a bit more space between systems - the rit. and accel. are close enough to the other bar an inexperienced player may not know which they belong to. Also, m32's mf is exactly halfway between the systems. It may be a good idea to give it a bit more breathing space.
-Any reason why there's only 5 systems on page 5?
-Despite the fact those random pauses sound wrong, as far as I can tell, they're in the original. The BoTW ost is just weird that way. Oh, and use this if the fade out is killing you for the ending.
-It looks perfectly playable for the most part. We have much harder pieces on the site already.

Now, there's one fancy thing you can do in finale to fix your barline/expression collisions, but I can't remember the method at the moment. It involves editing a circle around the dynamic and making it opaque, borderless, and white. This makes it cover up the barline, thusly removing the collision. You could honestly use that.

Anyway, you did a great job.

Pianoth

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 06:56:19 AMThis is really good!
-I don't have a lot of time now, so here's a few things I noticed:
m1 and everywhere else that bassline appears - The 2nd eighth note should honestly be a staccato instead of a tenuto. If you were actually playing this in an orchestra with strings, I'd go with a tenuto, but a staccato makes more sense on a piano to give the quick feel it has in the original.
I also don't have much time now, so I'll try to answer briefly:
I'm a composer, I thought it orchestrally indeed, that's why I put a tenuto. But I guess that a staccato on a piano would make more sense.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 06:56:19 AM-You could use a bit more space between systems - the rit. and accel. are close enough to the other bar an inexperienced player may not know which they belong to. Also, m32's mf is exactly halfway between the systems. It may be a good idea to give it a bit more breathing space.
-Any reason why there's only 5 systems on page 5?
I've tried to squeeze the score in 6 pages exact (I don't like when the last page has fewer systems), that's why it doesn't seem there's enough space between the systems in some cases. Page 5 has 5 systems because 6 systems would have been just too messy (and the last page would have had 5 systems anyway). I guess I'll just try to fit everything in 7 pages so there's a lot more space between all the systems.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 06:56:19 AM-Despite the fact those random pauses sound wrong, as far as I can tell, they're in the original. The BoTW ost is just weird that way. Oh, and use this if the fade out is killing you for the ending.
The version you linked is even worse, since the music just stops without any fade out. It's musically obscene, in my opinion ;D And it wouldn't make sense on a piano either. So I'll stick to my version for that ending, unless you really feel like it should end suddently.
Now, the other pauses: the problem is that I don't think you would hear such pauses in the game. For instance, this video at 2:41:37 divides the soundtrack in Korok Forest (Day) and Korok Forest (Night), and there aren't any of those pauses. I could have done the transcription of these 2 versions instead, but the full soundtrack has that section with rit. and accel. that isn't in any of the 2 versions. In particular, bars 102-103 are not in any of the two versions. I don't know if that's really the case to even put those random pauses, but I guess I should put them since I've followed the full soundtrack... :o

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 06:56:19 AMNow, there's one fancy thing you can do in finale to fix your barline/expression collisions, but I can't remember the method at the moment. It involves editing a circle around the dynamic and making it opaque, borderless, and white. This makes it cover up the barline, thusly removing the collision. You could honestly use that.
I know it's possible to do that, in fact I did it on the original sibelius score. I just didn't know how to do it on Finale. I'll search for info.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 06:56:19 AMAnyway, you did a great job.
Thanks ;) That's not the first transcription I've ever did, though. It's just the first I'm publishing here, I have quite a bit of experience. I always make sure that my transcriptions are 100% playable and readable, so I can play them myself.
I did this transcription in about 4-5 hours, I think. I have absolute pitch, in case you're wondering.

Now, just a question: how do I update the files for the corrections? Do I just put them on some hosting and link them here, or what?

Maelstrom

Click on the NSM Panel tab at the top and click the edit icon.

I'll get back to you on your other comments a bit later, as I'm in class right now.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Pianoth on March 30, 2017, 07:41:10 AMI've tried to squeeze the score in 6 pages exact (I don't like when the last page has fewer systems), that's why it doesn't seem there's enough space between the systems in some cases. Page 5 has 5 systems because 6 systems would have been just too messy (and the last page would have had 5 systems anyway). I guess I'll just try to fit everything in 7 pages so there's a lot more space between all the systems.
Personally, I would find it weird to print out a sheet and have it be less dense on the 2nd to last page than the last page. Because, you know, it's the last page. Anyway, this shouldn't be a problem anymore with the new spacing.
QuoteThe version you linked is even worse, since the music just stops without any fade out. It's musically obscene, in my opinion ;D And it wouldn't make sense on a piano either. So I'll stick to my version for that ending, unless you really feel like it should end suddently.
Now, the other pauses: the problem is that I don't think you would hear such pauses in the game. For instance, this video at 2:41:37 divides the soundtrack in Korok Forest (Day) and Korok Forest (Night), and there aren't any of those pauses. I could have done the transcription of these 2 versions instead, but the full soundtrack has that section with rit. and accel. that isn't in any of the 2 versions. In particular, bars 102-103 are not in any of the two versions. I don't know if that's really the case to even put those random pauses, but I guess I should put them since I've followed the full soundtrack... :o
Wooops. Guess I should listen before I say stuff. It's up to you on this, I guess.

QuoteI know it's possible to do that, in fact I did it on the original sibelius score. I just didn't know how to do it on Finale. I'll search for info.
Ok, remembered how to do it. Go to the dynamic menu, edit>enclosure shape>opaque>line width to 0> fit it around the dynamic. That should do it.
QuoteI have absolute pitch, in case you're wondering.
Nice, that's always useful.

Pianoth

I've updated the submission.
  • Improved the layout: it's still in 6 pages, but there's enough space between all the systems.
  • Corrected several articulations (the ones suggested by Maelstrom and others too), and deleted an extra note in bar 92.
  • Changed the last bar to an empty bar (just like in the original, basically).
I haven't introduced those strange rests mentioned earlier. If you really believe I should insert them, I will. I didn't because I can't be sure if they're authentic or not.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 11:25:24 AMPersonally, I would find it weird to print out a sheet and have it be less dense on the 2nd to last page than the last page. Because, you know, it's the last page. Anyway, this shouldn't be a problem anymore with the new spacing
I've corrected the layout, I didn't need 7 pages after all. Now the last page has 5 systems.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 11:25:24 AMWooops. Guess I should listen before I say stuff. It's up to you on this, I guess.
If it's up to me, I'll leave it like it is right now.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 11:25:24 AMOk, remembered how to do it. Go to the dynamic menu, edit>enclosure shape>opaque>line width to 0> fit it around the dynamic. That should do it.
Thanks, although I realized how to do it before you told me.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 30, 2017, 11:25:24 AMNice, that's always useful.
Sometimes I feel that it's awesome when I use it. I listen to every instrument and I feel the need to write it.

Pianoth

Wait a second. I noticed a dynamic out of place. I'll correct and check for any possible other errors.

Pianoth

Ok, now it should be good to go, hopefully. If you notice anything, or you changed your mind about the pauses, or anything really, I'll see what I can do.

Sorry for the multiple posts, it wasn't the case to modify so I didn't really have a choice.

Zeila

For starters, this is pretty good and I'm looking forward to more stuff of this quality (also, welcome to NSM!) I noticed that your arranger name is different than your username. You can go to your profile and change your arranger name so it will show up as what's written on the sheet on site

Personally, I think the pauses need to go, as well as the three repeated measures (e.g. m32-35). It just sounds very odd, and they don't exist in the actual game. To be honest, I'm more inclined as to submitting separate Day and Night versions, especially considering that several songs on the Sound Selection are split up and do not contain the extra instruments/ritardandos/accelerandos that exist in the latter two versions of Peaches Lamb's uploads (at least, I don't think so). They do, however, exist in game (around sunrise and sunset) and act as transitions. Even if this one is not specifically included in the Sound Selection, I think uniformity would be good. If you really want to keep it as one sheet, I suggest putting the transitions in between the actual Day and Night versions

Some other stuff:
- You should consider flipping the articulations in the second layer for spots like m20 (and maybe hide the staccato on the last eighth note). If not, then you should widen the margins a bit
- I think you should split the composer info into two lines
- Some of the expression texts are quite large compared to the standard rit/accel's you put. It'd look better if you lowered the font size
- Maybe you can label the day and night sections as part of an expression so that it attaches to the measure
- Some notes sound like they last longer, and others sound shorter. For example, the last note in m4 (RH) doesn't sound like it's staccato'd, whereas in the night version, most of the chords on beat 3 sound like they only last a quarter note
- You should show beat 3 instead of putting a dotted quarter note in places like m115. Err, unless there's some kind of exception I don't know about

Nice work!

Latios212

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMI'm more inclined as to submitting separate Day and Night versions, especially considering that several songs on the Sound Selection are split up and do not contain the extra instruments/ritardandos/accelerandos that exist in the latter two versions of Peaches Lamb's uploads (at least, I don't think so). They do, however, exist in game (around sunrise and sunset) and act as transitions. Even if this one is not specifically included in the Sound Selection, I think uniformity would be good. If you really want to keep it as one sheet, I suggest putting the transitions in between the actual Day and Night versions
^yeah this. (To the extent of my knowledge) there's no official full soundtrack at the moment, just the sound selection CD that does not contain the Korok forest tracks. Given that that CD separates other areas (Zora's Domain, Rito Village, etc.) into separate day and night tracks, and the fact that this video includes odd pauses, I'm inclined to say that this video was likely artificially stitched together to include all the relevant parts from the game. I suppose it's fine to include both day and night versions in one sheet if you wish, but if you do so, you should clearly demarcate the day, night and transition sections with the correct repeat structures. Right now it looks like a very long piece that has a definitive start and end - which it is not, as the "area" themes in this game loop.

But the sheet looks terrific. xD
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Pianoth

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMFor starters, this is pretty good and I'm looking forward to more stuff of this quality (also, welcome to NSM!) I noticed that your arranger name is different than your username. You can go to your profile and change your arranger name so it will show up as what's written on the sheet on site
Thanks ;) My arranger (and artistic) name is "Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck", which I thought to be a little too long for the main site, so I abbreviated to "Pianoth". Noticing there are even longer names, I changed it to the full name.

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMPersonally, I think the pauses need to go, as well as the three repeated measures (e.g. m32-35). It just sounds very odd, and they don't exist in the actual game. To be honest, I'm more inclined as to submitting separate Day and Night versions, especially considering that several songs on the Sound Selection are split up and do not contain the extra instruments/ritardandos/accelerandos that exist in the latter two versions of Peaches Lamb's uploads (at least, I don't think so). They do, however, exist in game (around sunrise and sunset) and act as transitions. Even if this one is not specifically included in the Sound Selection, I think uniformity would be good. If you really want to keep it as one sheet, I suggest putting the transitions in between the actual Day and Night versions
Quote from: Latios212 on March 30, 2017, 08:44:31 PM^yeah this. (To the extent of my knowledge) there's no official full soundtrack at the moment, just the sound selection CD that does not contain the Korok forest tracks. Given that that CD separates other areas (Zora's Domain, Rito Village, etc.) into separate day and night tracks, and the fact that this video includes odd pauses, I'm inclined to say that this video was likely artificially stitched together to include all the relevant parts from the game. I suppose it's fine to include both day and night versions in one sheet if you wish, but if you do so, you should clearly demarcate the day, night and transition sections with the correct repeat structures. Right now it looks like a very long piece that has a definitive start and end - which it is not, as the "area" themes in this game loop.
I totally agree with you. I didn't initially planned to share this arrangement when I did it, that's why I did it like that. I think that the most appropriate thing to do for this site would be this:
  • Delete bars 32-143, put repetition bar lines from bar 2 to bar 32, and rename this submission "Korok Forest (Day)";
  • Copy in another file bars from 36 to 66, put repetition bar lines from the second to the last bar, and do another submission named "Korok Forest (Night)".
This way, all the transitions are lost (bars from 67 to 143 will be lost). That's not a really big deal though, since this is not an orchestral arrangement, it's not like there's really need of those transitions. Moreover, there are several different transitions, so I would need to choose one, losing the others anyway. This would imply a thing though: if someone does an arrangement for "Hateno Village", "Riding", "Zora's Domain", "Lurelin Village", "Gerudo Town", "Goron City", "Rito Village", and others I may have missed, he/she should also separate Day and Night, to be consistent.
Anyway, this full transcription won't be deleted completely, it will always be available in my Personal Arrangement Thread. The fact that it is a "piece that has a definitive start and end" makes it good to play, to some extent.

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMSome other stuff:
- You should consider flipping the articulations in the second layer for spots like m20 (and maybe hide the staccato on the last eighth note). If not, then you should widen the margins a bit
I'll widen the margins a bit.

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMI think you should split the composer info into two lines
Ok, I'll split it like this: "Composed by Manaka Kataoka, /n Yasuaki Iwata and Hajime Wakai"

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMSome of the expression texts are quite large compared to the standard rit/accel's you put. It'd look better if you lowered the font size
I blame the process of conversion from Sibelius to Finale for that. I'll reduce the size of the font of all the expressions (even though, removing all the bars from 67 to 143, there wouldn't be any rit. or accel.).

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMMaybe you can label the day and night sections as part of an expression so that it attaches to the measure
I'll just do 2 different submissions, as I've said. By the way, if you don't like the idea, just tell me exactly what you think I should do instead (for example put which transition where).

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMSome notes sound like they last longer, and others sound shorter. For example, the last note in m4 (RH) doesn't sound like it's staccato'd, whereas in the night version, most of the chords on beat 3 sound like they only last a quarter note
Hmm... Listening again to the original music. Do you think the last note in m4 should be tenuto instead? I'll change it to that. Maybe you're right. The chords in the night version should be shorter indeed, you're definitely right on that.

Quote from: Zeila on March 30, 2017, 08:35:40 PMYou should show beat 3 instead of putting a dotted quarter note in places like m115. Err, unless there's some kind of exception I don't know about
That would apply to m9, m11, m13, m31, m44, m46, m48, m62 (in here I didn't use the dotted quarter note) and m66 (the bar after 67 don't count). I wrote it like that because I feel that the 4/4 in those bars is actually a 3/8 + 3/8 + 2/8. It would probably easier to read it, when written with the dotted quarter note. For example:

That's the same rhythm on both staffs, but the lower one is easier to understand, in my opinion. However, you're probably right, since Astor Piazzolla writes this kind of rhythm this way:

I'll change all the bars I've indicated.

Pianoth

Uploaded the new score with several changes, the ones listed in the post above, and some other things. Since the score couldn't stay in one page, I made sure to use as much space as possible in the two pages, unlocking the systems and giving a lot of space in general. Now the score has a completely different face.

I made corrections in the original full score, anyway, and I've also indicated "Day" and "Night" in that score. You can find the updated full score on my Personal Arrangement Thread.

I'll wait for some replies before submitting the Night version (which you can find in my Personal Arrangement Thread for now).

Maelstrom

There is no rule against including both versions in the same submission if you really want to, but if you think they're best split up, go ahead.

Latios212

Personally I prefer it this way if the song is sufficiently long.

totally not because I only arranged the night version of Rito Village
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle