FugalOmen's Arrangement - LoZ: OoT "Water Temple" - Flute & Piano

Started by FugalOmen, June 24, 2017, 02:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FugalOmen

If this is in the wrong section of the forums, please allocate it to the correct section.

Several days ago, I requested a piano arrangement of the infamous Water Temple *insert Jaws theme here* from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I have since attempted to make an arrangement for flute and piano to serve as a template for a solo piano arrangement for the main site, and let me tell you it really did my head in; but after much head-banging and ragequitting later I was able to complete an arrangement.

While I am pretty proud of myself for making such an arrangement, it is absolutely guaranteed to have errors, and since this is meant to be a template for a solo piano arrangement I invite those who have better arranging skills than myself to inform me on how it can be improved.

Finally, this arrangement was made in LilyPond as Finale Notepad appears to lack basic features like courtesy accidentals.

LY file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=98714207185510686660
PDF file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=37676719982615165999
MID file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=54574200585837218285

swimswamit

Wow, that's really good. I'm kinda new here but yes, this is the right spot to put this unless you wanted to submit it.

Really nice job, always liked the water temple, sad everyone hates it, has a great fight with the dark link or whichever it was

FugalOmen

Thanks for the comment. Happy to hear you like the Water Temple even if I don't quite share your enthusiasm for the temple itself, though as you could probably tell I really like the music. Even Miyamoto himself regretted designing the N64 Water Temple the way he did.

But if I had to pick just one frustrating thing about Ocarina of Time, it wouldn't be the Water Temple, it would be the OWL!

Lkjhgfdsa_77

Nice arrangement, especially considering all of the syncopated and offbeat melodies by the flute and the low plucked string. As a Zelda fan myself (and a fan of this track), I would like to give a bit of feedback on the arrangement –

- Ctrl Shift - makes a courtesy accidental in NotePad, view the "Simple Edit / Navigation Commands" in the "Simple" tab (shown when selecting the "Simple Entry Tool") for more shortcuts
 - adding a direction for constant pedal (such as "con pedale," "Ped." or "Ped") would be nice to imitate the echo-y feel of the track
 - RH throughout - it might be just me, but it sounds like the descending pattern should be notated an octave higher than written. Also starting m5, there's some bells playing with the original melody.
 - m3 - Eb in RH should be an E - LH throughout
 - the whole note (semibreve) pattern should be an octave up, but if it's for not colliding with the plucked string countermelody (m15 on) it's fine. Also, try adding some harmonics to make it sound "fuller" - I'm hearing an Eb under the Bb in m3, and you can likely find more.
 - flute throughout - consider using grace notes to notate the ornamentation more nicely, and remember to show the third (and maybe even second and fourth) beats for 4/4 time (look at m14, 23, 32, 35, 45, 48, 53)
 - a small tip for condensing to solo piano - the descending eighth notes in the RH seem to get overpowered by the flute and low string, especially in hectic sections like m37 - 42. In these, you can safely drop the eighth notes in favor of the more important melodies.
 - I'm glad to see another LilyPond user, but NinSheetMusic has a pretty strict Finale-only policy. To make it easier to convert the file, use the templates for formatting and NASF for special notation.

I haven't checked most of the notes, but after a first listen to the .mid it sounds pretty accurate. Hopefully these suggestions will get you started on revising the arrangement.
- Lkjhgfdsa_77
Arr | Tran | LiPo | Intro | YT | Blog

FugalOmen

Quote from: Lkjhgfdsa_77 on June 24, 2017, 07:48:04 AMNice arrangement, especially considering all of the syncopated and offbeat melodies by the flute and the low plucked string. As a Zelda fan myself (and a fan of this track), I would like to give a bit of feedback on the arrangement – - Ctrl Shift - makes a courtesy accidental in NotePad, view the "Simple Edit / Navigation Commands" in the "Simple" tab (shown when selecting the "Simple Entry Tool") for more shortcuts - adding a direction for constant pedal (such as "con pedale," "Ped." or "Ped") would be nice to imitate the echo-y feel of the track - RH throughout - it might be just me, but it sounds like the descending pattern should be notated an octave higher than written. Also starting m5, there's some bells playing with the original melody. - m3 - Eb in RH should be an E - LH throughout - the whole note (semibreve) pattern should be an octave up, but if it's for not colliding with the plucked string countermelody (m15 on) it's fine. Also, try adding some harmonics to make it sound "fuller" - I'm hearing an Eb under the Bb in m3, and you can likely find more. - flute throughout - consider using grace notes to notate the ornamentation more nicely, and remember to show the third (and maybe even second and fourth) beats for 4/4 time (look at m14, 23, 32, 35, 45, 48, 53) - a small tip for condensing to solo piano - the descending eighth notes in the RH seem to get overpowered by the flute and low string, especially in hectic sections like m37 - 42. In these, you can safely drop the eighth notes in favor of the more important melodies. - I'm glad to see another LilyPond user, but NinSheetMusic has a pretty strict Finale-only policy. To make it easier to convert the file, use the templates for formatting and NASF for special notation. I haven't checked most of the notes, but after a first listen to the .mid it sounds pretty accurate. Hopefully these suggestions will get you started on revising the arrangement.

Thanks for the feedback and template links. I began on a revision in Finale Notepad without them and ended up ragequitting, not helped by the fact that I'm not used to the software. I'll be sure to take your ideas on board, hopefully most of them.

FugalOmen

Darn, I just discovered that one cannot add new instruments from an existing file in Finale Notepad, they'd need the full version. In other words, I can't add the flute in the Th3Gavst3r template.

Looks like I'm screwed.

AmpharosAndy

Someone nice could do it for you and send you the new file. I don't have it, though, so I can't help :P
innit