[DELETED] [NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness -

Started by Zeta, October 01, 2017, 01:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Dude on October 02, 2017, 12:09:40 PMThe edit button exists, you know?
I'm so sorry, I wasn't sure about the post policy here, and I thought that posts with hours between each other wouldn't need edits.

Give me a moment.

Edit: OK, it should be better now.

Second Edit: Ok new issue. So I saw Olimar's post about keeping everything based on the .mus file, but I can't do some of the formatting requirements (page numbers and mini titles for example) unless I use musescore.

Is there a way to circumvent this at all?

Th3Gavst3r

The best way to avoid this would be to buy Finale hehe
But in the off chance you don't want to dump cash on that, you can try using one of the the All Tempo Markings and Expressions templates on the NSM Site Resources. At least, you could for a single piano arrangement... There'd normally be templates for duets and two piano arrangements on the Formatting Guidelines, but it looks like all of the Dropbox links died :(

That said, here's a modified Two Piano Template based on what I normally use. It should work... decently with your arrangement. What'll probably work best to get you started is to
  • Convert your MuseScore sheets to Notepad using XML
  • In Notepad, select the entire sheet and copy it
  • Paste everything into a formatted template
No matter what, you'll almost always have to do some cleaning after converting from MuseScore. The Nearly All Special Formatting file on the Site Resources will let you copy-paste a lot of the notation which Notepad doesn't normally have (including measures with clef changes etc). If you run into something you can't fix yourself, you can always ask for help on the Formatting Help thread. Since this is a submission thread, hopefully some folks can help you clean up your formatting right here.

Also, never forget you can grab a free trial of Finale 2014, Finale 25, or PrintMusic if you need them. Between all the versions out there, I'm pretty sure you can get several months of unrestricted free trials (ymmv).

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 03, 2017, 03:20:13 PMThe best way to avoid this would be to buy Finale hehe
But in the off chance you don't want to dump cash on that, you can try using one of the the All Tempo Markings and Expressions templates on the NSM Site Resources. At least, you could for a single piano arrangement... There'd normally be templates for duets and two piano arrangements on the Formatting Guidelines, but it looks like all of the Dropbox links died :(

That said, here's a modified Two Piano Template based on what I normally use. It should work... decently with your arrangement. What'll probably work best to get you started is to
  • Convert your MuseScore sheets to Notepad using XML
  • In Notepad, select the entire sheet and copy it
  • Paste everything into a formatted template
No matter what, you'll almost always have to do some cleaning after converting from MuseScore. The Nearly All Special Formatting file on the Site Resources will let you copy-paste a lot of the notation which Notepad doesn't normally have (including measures with clef changes etc). If you run into something you can't fix yourself, you can always ask for help on the Formatting Help thread. Since this is a submission thread, hopefully some folks can help you clean up your formatting right here.

Also, never forget you can grab a free trial of Finale 2014, Finale 25, or PrintMusic if you need them. Between all the versions out there, I'm pretty sure you can get several months of unrestricted free trials (ymmv).

It might take me some time then to move everything over to Finale. Until then at least, would what I have now be fine for any edits musically and ignoring formatting?

Th3Gavst3r

I just took a quick listen and here's what I noticed
  • You're missing a harmony to the melody in m. 1-13, 17, 25, 57-72
  • Would be nice to have the melody decrescendo in places like m. 1-13
  • Chords in m 4-6 and similar places come in later than you have written
  • Chimes missing m. 17-33 and similar places. Seems like they'd fit nicely into Piano I's LH
  • The octave gliss & 32nd notes in m. 53-55 would be incredibly hard to play, I'd recommend simplifying these to one pitch with accents or forte
  • For that matter, the 32nd notes in general might work better as grace notes
  • I see you were trying to indicate a loop at m. 73 in an earlier post. I have no idea how you'd pull it off in MuseScore, but I know it's possible in Finale to make something like a "D.C. second time." I don't want to try messing around with formatting while you're still changing things in MuseScore on your end, but if you need help getting the final sheet to work just say so and it'll be fixed in a jiffy :)
Of course, I definitely haven't noticed everything and the updaters always have final say on what needs work. So listen to them hehe

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 04, 2017, 10:05:35 AMI just took a quick listen and here's what I noticed
  • You're missing a harmony to the melody in m. 1-13, 17, 25, 57-72
  • Would be nice to have the melody decrescendo in places like m. 1-13
  • Chords in m 4-6 and similar places come in later than you have written
  • Chimes missing m. 17-33 and similar places. Seems like they'd fit nicely into Piano I's LH
  • The octave gliss & 32nd notes in m. 53-55 would be incredibly hard to play, I'd recommend simplifying these to one pitch with accents or forte
  • For that matter, the 32nd notes in general might work better as grace notes
  • I see you were trying to indicate a loop at m. 73 in an earlier post. I have no idea how you'd pull it off in MuseScore, but I know it's possible in Finale to make something like a "D.C. second time." I don't want to try messing around with formatting while you're still changing things in MuseScore on your end, but if you need help getting the final sheet to work just say so and it'll be fixed in a jiffy :)
Of course, I definitely haven't noticed everything and the updaters always have final say on what needs work. So listen to them hehe
-Is it almost like a lower octave to the E-A-B-A sequence during 1-13 and 57-72? Because that's the only thing that I can kind of hear, and it is hard to judge which notes exactly are played with it. For 17 and 25, I can't hear that other harmony, unless you're talking about the tubular bells, which I don't think you are as you mention them separately later on.
-Do you mean something like a decrescendo for m1-8, then another for m9-16? Because I could do that. Or might it be better for a crescendo starting from softer to higher?
-I'm aware of the chord timing difference for 4-6 and the likes. It should start gradually (soft) at around beat 11-12 (or the end of measure 4), but since the effect comes from a gradual crescendo of strings as a constant note, I had to choose to start at a different point than in the actual theme. I think that I could make it more accurate (or at least sound better) by having the chords start at the A of m4, and the 3rd beat of m6. That should be a good start.
-That's the tubular bells, right? I could probably just have the left hand do the rhythm of the bells but with the e/b fifth.
-I know that part is really difficult, but I was focusing on accuracy at first then playability (ish) second. Besides simply, well, simplifying the notes from an octave, is there another possible way to make that work while staying accurate?
-I was trying to use the trill, but I totally forgot which symbol it was for that specific case. So I used 32nd notes in its stead. (if you know what articulation would work, please tell me :P)
-Thanks, will note when (if? *shrugs*) I convert everything to finale.

Also another thing is like, I have purchased finale allegro 2007 a while ago, and I have it, but it's at home and I'm at college, aaand I don't remember my makemusic creds to redownload it. :/

I will probably be able to get it in like november when I visit for thanksgiving, maybe earlier if I'm lucky. But until then, I'm stuck without allegro.

PlayfulPiano

By the way, this project is not dead. I was able to get finale allegro 2007 from my home, so now I just need to convert it. I've just been busy with college... so uh... I haven't had much time with the conversion as of right now... But, I was able to do most of it! It might have a few formatting issues though, whoops.

But still, don't let the formatting get in the way of posting any feedback! It would still help me if people can contribute to its accuracy!

The biggest thing I'm trying to do right now is in regards to the end of measure 71. I am trying to have it repeat from that measure's end to measure 17, go through the entire piece and end. But I want that to only trigger on the second repeat of that section, and only the first repeat of the entire piece (i.e. for that specific section, it is ignored the first, third, and fourth times it goes through, but the second time it goes back to the beginning).

Sorry if this is a bit confusing, but if someone can figure it out, that would be great!

-Piano

PlayfulPiano

Ok, another update!
First of all, quick shoutout/thanks to both Olimar & Latios, both have helped tremendously in regards to fixing the repeating issue and giving amazing feedback!

Things that have changed in this update:
-Added the 'bell beat' to the left hand of piano 2. Measures 43+ actually doesn't have it, surprisingly.
-Some formatting fixes, last problems left/situation about formatting will be mentioned later in this post.
-**Most text is now above staves 1 and 3 instead of at the top of the page, not exactly sure if this is correct based on formatting, tell me if this should be changed!!!**
-Added Slurs, Accents, and Dynamics.
-Removed low B for m54 to make left hand playable.
-Added a Segno at m17, and a D.S. at m73. Now due to my situation with Finale Allegro 2007, two important aspects of this will be a little unorthodox. First, Allegro 2007 does not have the D.S. option, so what you actually see here is an invisible D.S. al Fine with the text of D.S. overlapping it. Second, I couldn't have a section go through 8 times and have the D.S. only trigger on repeat 4 without making it super complicated and unneeded, so I extended the ending back two measures.

Now lastly, about formatting. I understand that a few things formatting-wise is not correct as of now, and I do understand this. The problem is, Finale Allegro 2007 is old and outdated, where a lot of things that you can change now, I cannot. Going through the formatting guidelines, there is only one big issue left that I am unable to fix:
  • Duet Piano 1 / Piano 2 & I / II Staff Text (Allegro 2007 cannot rename groups, only individual staffs, unless someone knows how to do it on allegro)

Now while I could send this over to someone who can fix this issue, it will then be edited by a more recent version of finale. This would then mean that I would be unable to modify any notes/etc. using allegro, which would cause me to become much more limited if people have any suggestions that notepad can't do.

So because of that, I won't change that formatting issue until after all music-related feedback is finished, and that the piece is 100% ready to be approved EXCEPT for that one issue in formatting.

Anyways, thank you all so much for the help and feedback so far, and please suggest anything else that would make this score better/more accurate!

-Piano

Latios212

Have you gotten around to halving the note durations like we discussed last time on Discord, and given more thought to turning this into a piano solo?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Latios212 on January 13, 2018, 08:37:56 PMHave you gotten around to halving the note durations like we discussed last time on Discord, and given more thought to turning this into a piano solo?

Honestly I've been so busy between studying, recovering, and school that I haven't worked on it at all.

Feel free if you (or anyone else) want to continue it though. I don't have the time to do it right now.

Latios212

I've had my hands full with a lot of other sheets to review lately, but I will let you know if I happen to find the time for it.

Anyway, for the time being I will just archive this submission; you can resubmit it later once things have been worked out.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle