News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness -

Started by Zeta, October 19, 2017, 08:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Beach Cave
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: FiveNineSquared

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bespinben

Just did some basic typesetting. Reset staff size to 6.5 millimeters to be in accordance with historical rastral sizes for solo piano music (6.0 to 7.4 are the limits, with 6.5 to 7.0 being the norm). Did alot of "un-XML"-ing since there are usually a lot of artifacts it generates. Standard printing margins are 0.5, with sides allowable up 0.75 -- this I set to 0.625 to offset the ungainly width of the US Letter paper while still giving a decent amount of horizontal width to each system of music. Gave a small 0.05" increase in height in the grand staff (some more and some less depending on whitespace) to give more breathing room for articulations and dynamics -- always avoid collisions like the plague. Finally, I condensed your self-made ending to 1 measure by starting a volta-style repeat mid-measure -- this eliminated the problem of having to have either 1 system of 4 measures (too tight) versus 2 systems of 2 measures (too wide).

[MUSX]

Thus sayeth the Gould
[close]

(Also, fyi, Yoshihiro Maeda was only in the credits for Explorers of Sky, so since Beach Cave was already composed for Time/Darkness 2 years prior to Sky, I removed his name from the composer credits)
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

FiveNineSquared

Seems like Finale Notepad can't open .musx files, so I can't see what you did exactly. Can you upload a mus file instead? :P

Still, thanks for providing those pointers and modifying the sizes; had no idea what the standards were for those. I'll be using that image a lot from now on! (It's kinda hard to do what you've done in Notepad though)
I think I used to believe that the soundtrack for EoTD and EoS had slight differences so I added Yoshihiro Maeda into the composer list. Thanks as well for removing that.

FiveNineSquared

Update!
All the formatting should be fine and dandy right now. Changed the score a bit.

Sebastian

Looks pretty good. Thanks, Ben, for the formatting fix!

Didn't get too in-depth with note checking, but it generally sounds correct. One thing I noticed:
The copyright information should be font size 10, not 12. Also, no copyright information is needed on the second page. You can delete that.

FiveNineSquared

Quote from: Sebastian on December 01, 2017, 04:28:26 PMThe copyright information should be font size 10, not 12. Also, no copyright information is needed on the second page. You can delete that.
Done! Thanks for the correction.

Latios212

Hiya, finally checking time lol

- As mentioned somewhere I forgot, first LH note of measure 23 should be an Eb.
- Measure 25 LH beat 3 should be Db-C.
- The run in measure 16 is a bit off - it should start with a C, ascend to G, and descend to D, similar to the following measure.

Oh, and change the game title to "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness" for consistency - lemme know if you want me to take care of anything for you due to Finale issues.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Quote from: Latios212 on December 21, 2017, 07:10:51 PMHiya, finally checking time lol

- As mentioned somewhere I forgot, first LH note of measure 23 should be an Eb.
- Measure 25 LH beat 3 should be Db-C.
- The run in measure 16 is a bit off - it should start with a C, ascend to G, and descend to D, similar to the following measure.

Oh, and change the game title to "Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness" for consistency - lemme know if you want me to take care of anything for you due to Finale issues.

Done! I hope the formatting didn't change.
Hehe, it also looks like I forgot to edit the mus file on top of the mscz file when you told me to change the Eb  :P

Latios212

Oops, sorry this fell to the bottom of the board >__>

Is the PDF not generated off of the .mus file? I'm noticing a bunch of discrepancies. If you want help formatting and stuff, I can do that for you in Finale so we can keep all the files consistent and stuff.

Also before we accept, could we get another opinion (Insig, looking at you) on the time signatures, particularly in m. 1-3 and 19-21? The way it's written doesn't quite sit well with me, but I don't have a solution in mind.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Oh boy, this is late. Sorry, the notif went into my spam folder :p

Um... yes about that, I was using the musescore file for the pdf hehe
If the mus file looks fine formatting-wise I can replace the pdf. I think the only weird thing going on is the cross-staff beam at m11 when the 1/16th beams with the 1/8th.

I don't know about the time sig, I thought the 10/8 at the beginning was the most appropriate. Tbh now I think the m19-21 can be rephrased the same way.

InsigTurtle

This is looking very close, but the time signatures here are still a bit of an issue. In both the intro and m.19-21, you need to be consistent in how you accent the motif, since it doesn't sound like it changes in the original. The beat pattern in the intro is also rather strange, although no matter what, it's going to be a bit messy.
Whatever you choose, think about how a performer would play it: what would be the most intuitive way to show how where the accents fall so that the performer gets the feel of the music?
(unless you're Stravinsky)

FiveNineSquared

Feedback taken -- I think if I try to fit any time sig that's x/8 it's gonna be super confusing, so I decided to change everything to fit in x/4.

ie,

and

Does it look off?
The mus file needs to be re-fixed a bit again, by the way. I can't edit some stuff on Notepad :/

AmpharosAndy

Probably for the best if nobody can definitively say what it is. 4/4 is always safe :)
If the rhythm doesn't make much sense, at least the time signature can be easy to deal with innit
innit

InsigTurtle

Hmm, maybe make the first two measures 5/4, then you'd have a 2/4 measure before going back to 3/4. That way, you'd introduce each measure with the sixteenth-sixteenth-eighth pattern.