News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - "Wild Woods" by Rudolf Milter

Started by Zeta, December 28, 2017, 04:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario Kart 8
Console: Wii U
Title: Wild Woods
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Rudolf Milter

Olimar12345

This one will need some tweaking. Firstly, split the composer names into two stacked lines so that it doesn't run into the title like it does now. Secondly, despite WaluigiTime64's inner voices, this piece is indeed in 5/4 time; it is just syncopated.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 30, 2017, 09:30:57 AMSecondly, despite WaluigiTime64's inner voices, this piece is indeed in 5/4 time; it is just syncopated.
ah shit please explain for me

Also this sheet did the thing I was struggling not to do, which was to not just use the bass and melody for the earlier part (because that's boring), although I honestly can't blame you. I think the chords in the LH later on need some work too but I can't check them right now.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Olimar12345

What you're perceiving as the second down-beat group of three eighth notes is actually the syncopated up-beat of beat two in 5/4 time. Syncopation is the emphasis of weaker beats. The piece has a constant quarter note drive (I swear this isn't a pun) underneath it (listen for the drummer; they're hitting the hi hat on all 5 beats).
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

right from the beginning it uses the rhythm common to 5/4- dotted quarter dotted quarter quarter quarter
unmotivated

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 30, 2017, 12:48:18 PMWhat you're perceiving as the second down-beat group of three eighth notes is actually the syncopated up-beat of beat two in 5/4 time. Syncopation is the emphasis of weaker beats.
Ok.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 30, 2017, 12:48:18 PMThe piece has a constant quarter note drive (I swear this isn't a pun) underneath it (listen for the drummer; they're hitting the hi hat on all 5 beats).
Ok this bit confused me because I kinda don't agree on the first bit, but you are correct in that the drummer hits the hi-hat on all 5 beats... ish?

I'm hearing:
Spoiler
[close]
In the first and last section. The parentheses are there because I hear that hi-hat on some measures but not others. Interestingly it's on a 5/4 on-beat and the often-ignored middle beat of the triplet rhythm (makes sense not to put a hi-hat there if you're going for the 3+3+2+2 rhythm. You can blame this one on bad hearing or sounds becoming muddled behind other sounds though lol.

But for your case, the middle section is 5/4 purely based on the hi-hat:
Spoiler
[close]
From a compositional view, I'd write a 10/8 piece with that sort of hi-hat pattern in one section, just because it sounds nice (I doubt the composer really cares whether it's in 5/4 or 10/8 lol). Again, purely based on the hi-hat and the hi-hat alone, it's 5/4.
Personally I don't like the idea of one instrument being responsible for the time signature (especially in this case, where every other instrument is playing 3+3+2+2), but if that's the case then whatever lol.

While I do very much see your point, people could take it as either. I guess for this sheet the best option would be 5/4, but with 3+3+2+2 beaming from the 10/8 rhythm (because last time I checked, there's no drumkit in a solo piano arrangement lol, so it doesn't matter). I think it's important to get that 3+3+2+2 rhythm in there, because it's the way the melody and accompaniment (which is what's in the sheet) flow throughout the piece.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Olimar12345 on December 30, 2017, 12:48:18 PMSyncopation is the emphasis of weaker beats.

Quote from: mikey on December 30, 2017, 12:51:49 PMright from the beginning it uses the rhythm common to 5/4- dotted quarter dotted quarter quarter quarter

It needs to be in 5/4 and beamed like 5/4. You won't find any piano rag beamed with the syncopation like 3+3+2 etc.

WaluigiTime64

ok yeah i get that but that's just weird and loses the 3+3+2+2 flow

There has to be at least something on the sheet that points it out somehow.

Olimar12345

WaluigiTime64

Guess I can't argue against Dave Brubeck.
I will still have this in the back of my mind when the sheet's finished though lol.

RudolfMilter

I'm still not sure:
You can hear the melody, the drums and specially the bass remarking each pulse of the 3+3+2+2 rhythm in Wild Woods and not 5/4 at all during the whole piece. But in the case of Take Five the melody clearly remarks each pulse of the 5/4 rhythm. It is not the same.

WaluigiTime64

i'm kinda with you but i see his point too so honestly idk
do whatever makes sense

The Deku Trombonist

It's in 5/4. I've played plenty of modern music in */8 time signatures when it really doesn't need to be and it doesn't help. It's almost a strange kind of fad.

Anyway, as Olimar said, the high-hat is on crotchet beats.

RudolfMilter

Sebastian