News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[GBA] Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - "Battle BGM 7" by D3ath3657

Started by Zeta, January 02, 2018, 06:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Battle BGM 7
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: D3ath3657

[attachment deleted by admin]

Khunjund

Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Maelstrom

Nice job!
A few quick things:
Maybe space out the measures better? There's a lot of empty space at the bottom of each page, and between each measure. While you may not be able to shrink it down to 2 pages, at least make it a bit less empty.
Maybe add echoes as small notes in m25-36?
m10, 12, and the like RH. Quite frankly, I can't hear those chords at all. I just hear that single note throughout (D for 10, C# for 12). Maybe take the extra notes out?
I have no clue what the accidentals should look like, so make sure someone here double checks them.

Khunjund

I chose to space out the music as such because I'd rather not end with a half-empty page, and it's also what the professional editions I work with do in order to avoid that. The other options would be getting rid of all my margins (which would look terrible in my opinion), or shrinking everything down (keep in mind the default zoom level on DropBox is larger than standard letter size). If you prefer the smaller version, though, I'll just fix the spacing manually (measures with tied eighths are a mess) and submit that version.

By small notes, do you mean grace notes? I thought about incorporating the echo by repeating the chords as eighth notes rather than quarters (with proper articulation instructions), but I thought it would be inconsistent with my ignoring the echo during measures 9-24 (which I think is the right decision), and make the left-hand melody harder to bring out (though I guess I could just drop the notes that overlap).

I removed the notes in question in measures 10, 12, 18 and 20. To be honest, I didn't hear them either, but I sometimes like to work with programs like AudioOverload to hear each track separately and make sure I get everything, and those notes are actually there (the "echo" doesn't go back to F# before dopping to D/C#). But it's probably for the best if I leave them out.

The accidentals should be fine. The piece is mostly in the Hungarian minor mode of G, which is why I write C#, F# as opposed to Db, Gb, with the only exception being the G#, which is actually an Ab (like in measures 41, 42), but writing it as a G# in a line made up almost exclusively of sharp notes makes it easier to read. Honestly, the only accidental which I'm not so sure of is the E# in measures 27-28 and 31-32, which could just as well be written F natural, but I chose to go with E# to keep the same visual structure as the preceding chord.

Khunjund

The Deku Trombonist

Maelstrom didn't say you had to shrink it down, or that it couldn't be 3 pages in length. Just that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Take this, for instance.

Khunjund

The Deku Trombonist

That's fine, but with a staff size of about 6mm, you're pushing the boundaries of readability and causing unnecessary straining for anyone who wants to print and read it. And for anyone from outside the USA where, for example, A4 might be the standard paper size, the music will be even smaller again due to scaling when printing.

Maelstrom

I am so sorry it took this long to get back to you
Quote from: D3ath3657 on February 16, 2018, 03:04:38 PMBy small notes, do you mean grace notes? I thought about incorporating the echo by repeating the chords as eighth notes rather than quarters (with proper articulation instructions), but I thought it would be inconsistent with my ignoring the echo during measures 9-24 (which I think is the right decision), and make the left-hand melody harder to bring out (though I guess I could just drop the notes that overlap).
Adding the echo doesn't make it inconsistent at all, nor am I suggesting grace notes. This is what it would look like:
Spoiler
[close]
I resized the 8th noteheads to 70% and added a custom dynamic. I duplicated the accent, changed it to 70% velocity instead of 125%, changed the character, and hid it.
This isn't inconsistent with ignoring the echo earlier because it's simply a different part. Additionally, the LH melody wouldn't be that hard to draw out if you just played it a little louder and, as you said, take the overlapping notes out of the RH.

Khunjund

Static

Good work, just a couple issues that need to be addressed before this gets accepted:

- m10, 12, 18, & 20 RH should just be whole notes (Ds and C#s).
- m41-42 are missing Gs below the Abs.

Khunjund

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot