News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[Wii] Rhythm Heaven Fever - "Shrimp Shuffle" by WaluigiTime64

Started by Zeta, February 21, 2018, 10:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Rhythm Heaven Fever
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Shrimp Shuffle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: WaluigiTime64

[attachment deleted by admin]

WaluigiTime64

A fun, simple one. Did some bullshitting somewhere though, as the original transcription ruined the tonality a bit.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

I think the bassline doesn't capture the oomph of the original. If you're ok with that, it's your arrangement.
However, I think it might be better if it was something like this:
Spoiler
[close]
What do you think?

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 17, 2018, 12:17:55 PMI think the bassline doesn't capture the oomph of the original. If you're ok with that, it's your arrangement.
That's fair enough I guess.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 17, 2018, 12:17:55 PMHowever, I think it might be better if it was something like this:
Spoiler
[close]
What do you think?
Ah M.9-16. With that section (and the similar one at the end), I intentionally made it less loud and bouncy taking the whole piece into consideration. Without it, there's not enough of the contrast present in the original imo.
I still had a listen to what you offered regardless, but it seems awfully difficult, and there's too much clutter in the bass (just a personal thing, other people quite like that). Typically I wouldn't pair mezzoforte with staccato'd 4-note chords in the bass.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Maelstrom

WaluigiTime64

WaluigiTime64

Maelstrom

I've fully checked the song, and aside from my gripes about the bassline in that part, I only found one issue: you put staccato marks on dotted notes. Yes, it may make the sheet cleaner, but those are two additions to the note that affect each other in opposite ways. What good does a dot do when its goal is to lengthen the note, but the staccato's job is to shorten it? Try writing them as something else with rests also thrown in.

Sebastian

@waluigi: If you'd like to go ahead and respond to Mael's comment, I think we'll be finished here.

Sebastian

Bump for Waluigi.
Quote from: Sebastian on May 08, 2018, 10:48:31 AM@waluigi: If you'd like to go ahead and respond to Mael's comment, I think we'll be finished here.

WaluigiTime64

Very sorry for the extremely late reply, but I won't have enough free time for this until Friday afternoon, and I need a decent amount of time to work with the feedback without it looking horrendous (to my eyes, anyway).

Sebastian

WaluigiTime64

I'm not a huge fan of how it looks now, and I'm still not really convinced by the staccato-dotted-note argument, but it's updated with the suggestion regardless.

Maelstrom

Just so you know, the notes can still be quarters with staccatos. Or 8ths with staccatos. The main point is that staccatos and dotted notes don't mix. I had a good 30 minute discussion about this a while back and I can point you to some people who can discuss it better than I can if you want. (mainly latios and olimar)